Club Newsletter Suggestion

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toxo
IMOC Committee

Club Newsletter Suggestion

Post by toxo »

I'm sure I've suggested this somewhere before but can't seem to find it anywhere. IMOC should have a newsletter sent to registered members. Once a month, detailing upcoming official events, changes being made to the site, information when new moderators join / old ones retire, perhaps even user name changes! Details of important votes (like the affiliate of the year etc). All these things are very easy to miss if you are only a casual viewer of the forum, pushed for time etc. I think this is clearly evident in the fact that quite a few people I've spoken to simply aren't aware that some things are going on. You only need look at the figures for the WRA, TOTB support etc. In the 5 months that there has been a thread running for Japshow, the only person with their name down is the one organising it! We need to drum up some awareness outside of the core 50 or so users who actively contribute to the forum day-to-day that behind the scenes, there's a lot going on. I think this is a good way of doing it.

The newsletter could be sent via email if you have a decent method for unsubscribing, or via PM (when people sign up, there are tickboxes for whether they wish to accept email from site administrators).

What do people think?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
jmachling

Re: Club Newsletter Suggestion

Post by jmachling »

It's a good idea and one we should think about certainly.

As it stands, we can send mass emails to people in certain groups (i.e. Premium Members) or the whole board, but there's no means to unsubscribe from that - I don't want to start spamming every member. It's a design flaw with the forum software unfortunately.

I'm sure there must be another way of doing it, though... :-k

All suggestions gratefully received!
BenF
Premium Member

Re: Club Newsletter Suggestion

Post by BenF »

Good idea - one to feed into the website update work we're planning. You've also got to take into account folks that don't want to be contacted, and that adds a little extra complexity to any solution we devise.

Return to “Club News and Announcements”