[All] [Generic] Spraying etc..

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rev1Richie

[All] [Generic] Spraying etc..

Post by Rev1Richie »

hi

Need some advice from all you sprayers out there, i know you'll just tell me to see the manufs specs but in general and from experience what spray gun nozzle sizes do you use for which process. Primer/Basecoat/topcoat etc.

Also is Basecoat a type of colour coat or a descriptive word for the first coat to be put on, i bought some "basecoat" but i thought it was Cellulsoe, but now the paint supplier told me it wasn't celly but basecoat (polyester maybe?)

Thanks
fearless

Re: [All] [Generic] Spraying etc..

Post by fearless »

hmmm i could do with knowing this aswell i think base coat is your primers and sealers, top coat is your colour and clear coat is laquer i think, as for gun tip sizes i think it all goes on what your spraying, im sure their is a few sprayers on here who can tell us though, i bought a good dvd off ebay about spraying only cost me £2 very informative also is a 6 dvd pack for sale which i might purchase about spraying, i want to learn the process got a bonnet project on the go and really want be a painter, so i can do a few jobs on my car its very expensive to get started though im finding but could pay for itself in no time. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
honda_crf_04

Post by honda_crf_04 »

basecoat is the colour.the nozzle i use at work for primer is 1.4mm.i think the sizes go from 1mm to 2mm.what spary guns will you be using?
Rev1Richie

Post by Rev1Richie »

Hi

I'm pretty sure Basecoat, when used as a description, is the colour coat you lay down, Top coat is the clearcoat/lacquer, please tell me if im wrong anyone. as for the types of colour coat, i know about cellulose (discontinued) and 2K (killer stuff) but is there a polyester paint.

Have you got the details on that DVD ?

As for the guns, not yet purchased, i have been using one of those HVLP spraystations, with no adjustments. I'm looking at moving to compressor/HVLP gun. just getting a handle on nozzzle sizes

rich
fearless

Post by fearless »

i will have to watch it cant remember if it explains coats, i will be using gravity fed guns on my 17 year old compressor, i need to know tip size for what paints im going to be using, going to use 2k paint on my bonnet as its harder wearing and i want a really glossy black. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
fen666

Post by fen666 »

Basecoat is the colour coat and is generally mixed 1-1 with thinner. When it flashes it will be matt which will give the laquer something to grip to. The laquer... mix 2-1 with activator, is what gives the paint the shine. I prefer 2k straight colour which is gloss straight from the gun so no laquer required, but it is still a 2 pack paint ie the colour is mixed with an activator.
I find that should any scratches ,rust , cracked filler etc surface you do not have to worry about flatting back the laquer , blowing in the basecoat , then relaquer...... just blow in colour and buff it in.

Also if the basecoat gets damp before application of the laquer you will get the peeling and blistering problems seen on many mr2's. This is not a problem in a proper paint booth as humidity etc are controlled ..... but how many of us have one of them in our back garden lol.

As soon as I can work out how to post pictures I will post my 2 which I have just sprayed in 2k straight colour in my garage at home.
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

as far as i was aware mk 2 mr2's were all sprayed with cellulose colour/base coat and not laquered from the factory....
fearless

Post by fearless »

im looking at spraying my bonnet 2 pack black so i like the sound of no laquer, ive heard its also hard wearing compared to other paints which on a bonnet sounds good to me because of stone chips etc,
just works out a bit more expensive than cellulose and not sure about the new water based paints not up to spec on how thay work i know you have to have a special gun to spray with. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
jim55

Post by jim55 »

1.3 for a primer (maybe a 1.6 depends on the viscosity)0.8 for the topcoat 8)
jim55

Post by jim55 »

oh yes ,,and the corresponding fluid tip and needle as well
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

most of your questions have been answered . i use 4 different spray guns , but have a look here , http://www.devilbisseu.com/paint_compan ... heets.aspx

this will give you some idea .
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

mattymr2 wrote:as far as i was aware mk 2 mr2's were all sprayed with cellulose colour/base coat and not laquered from the factory....

all were painted in base over clear :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”