What a Complete Idiot I feel...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve-O 2007

What a Complete Idiot I feel...

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

What an Idiot I feel, Went outside to start the car too see if it would still start fine from cold after fiddling with it all and see if I could see any electrical leakage from the HT leads in the dark. Started it up and fired straight away, Nice :) then it started to die so I quickly turned it off and herd a little Pop.

Then it hit me, I had disconnected the Turbo > Intercooler Hotpipe and put a rubber glove over the hot pipe and one over the turbo, by now S**t was streaming down my leg as I thought the glove had been sucked into the engine!! :shock: :shock:

I ran in the house for a torch whipped the lid open and thank **** the glove was still their but was inside out, I ran into the house praying that it was all still intact and it was, it had just popped!!!

Im still in shock, I was expecting to open the lid and see a missing glove, I thought it was going to be a complete engine strip down or something to get the glove out!! :shock:

Im guessing no damage would have been done? The car only ran for 3 seconds and the gloves are intact (luckilly), at least the car would have been running rich and not lean

Anyone else done anything stupid car wise that they want to share to make me feel better lol :oldtongue:
leeandjude

Re: What a Complete Idiot I feel...

Post by leeandjude »

:shock: your right there mate! i would of thought the worst too. I think it will be ok if nothing went in the intake.
bet we have all done something silly like this...i know i have!
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Im glad I used a thin rubber glove now, Im guessing that it was the fact that it popped that stopped it getting sucked in :shock: :shock:

Still cant beleive that I forgot all about the engine being like that, Think I will add a note next time to the drivers window :lol:
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

That was lucky!
A few years ago I remember reading a thread where this guy rebuilt a 600bhp + chevy engine. He spent a small fortune on doing it over six months. All was well until he did the first start up on the bench to test before it went off to the dyno........ he gave it a rev and it sucked a cloth up off the bench, through the butterfly and into the engine where it screwed the valves which hit the piston which caused a cracked head and a total rebuild. :mad:
Apexi Induction, Gutted Cat, Departure Exhaust, Magnecor Leads, St205 cc, Blitz ebc.
Carbotech pads.
Pete J

Post by Pete J »

Post it note > Pen > "DO NOT START" :mrgreen:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Pete J wrote:Post it note > Pen > "DO NOT START" :mrgreen:

Thats what I will be doing next time

Anyway all is great Car runs Fine :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I bet that Chevy Engine guy was realy pi$$ed off at himself :lol:
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

Dont worry, I once left some packaging inside a intake pipe from the air filter about 4 years ago.... sucked it into the turbo so it wouldnt spin, killed the turbo and the heat backed up into the cylinders and melted my piston rings into the pistons....

Live and learn lol

Graeme
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

^Trickster^ wrote:Dont worry, I once left some packaging inside a intake pipe from the air filter about 4 years ago.... sucked it into the turbo so it wouldnt spin, killed the turbo and the heat backed up into the cylinders and melted my piston rings into the pistons....

Live and learn lol

Graeme

Thats quite a good point, If buying a intake pipe / IC pipe etc used from someone make 100% sure theres nothing packed into it to stop dirt getting in

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”