What is your favourite 'quirky' thing on your MR2?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

What is your favourite 'quirky' thing on your MR2?

Post by Scott Barton »

So...we all love the car. We love the speed, the sound it makes, the general body styling etc etc....but what is your favourite 'quirky' thing on your car?

Is it the way the seat belts retract on an import when the door opens? It could be the pop up headlights?

I will have to say my favourite is the side the indicator/headlight stalk is on. It means i can indicate and flash cars without having to move my hand off the gearstick! :lol:
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
GHOST

Re: What is your favourite 'quirky' thing on your MR2?

Post by GHOST »

Yeah thats always been a favourite of mine. I've became institutionalised to it though and when I get in my girlfriends car and indicate I wash the windscreen #-o

I love driving at night and seeing the headlights sticking up. Just like two devil horns :evil: (though I still feel like a knob when I flash people out at junctions!).
ancient mariner

Post by ancient mariner »

mine has to be the fact that it only has 2 seats.i love the comfort zone this gives,plus the fact of having 5 sons and 7 grandchildren, my car is absolutely useless as a taxi or removal vehicle :lol: .paul.
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

ancient mariner wrote:mine has to be the fact that it only has 2 seats.i love the comfort zone this gives,plus the fact of having 5 sons and 7 grandchildren, my car is absolutely useless as a taxi or removal vehicle :lol: .paul.

Ha ha! Excellent! :clap:
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Gotta be the fact I nearly kill myself with the stereo every time I drive due to the small space and the largeness of the sub :mrgreen:

Passengers hate it!!!!
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

The fact when my mates ask for a lift into town now and i can now use the excuse i only have 2 seats...i was always to kind to say no before :lol:

My favorite think is sloly building up the spool of the turbo can just hear that whine building up! Also love the flutter of the turbo after i have lifted off :D (and no its not the DV as i can hear what side its coming from)
but i suppose thats generic with most cars! i like most things about the two :D
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

gotta love the indicator stalks, i think its a very good feature with them being on the right....

also UK cars, where the moonroof can be stored under the front hood above the spare wheel, thats a bit quirky 8)
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

GHOST wrote:Yeah thats always been a favourite of mine. I've became institutionalised to it though and when I get in my girlfriends car and indicate I wash the windscreen #-o

I love driving at night and seeing the headlights sticking up. Just like two devil horns :evil: (though I still feel like a knob when I flash people out at junctions!).

Why Thats one of the awesome bits always get a smile when you pop the lights and flash someone.
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Tiny wrote:
GHOST wrote:Yeah thats always been a favourite of mine. I've became institutionalised to it though and when I get in my girlfriends car and indicate I wash the windscreen #-o

Why Thats one of the awesome bits always get a smile when you pop the lights and flash someone.

Except if you have your side lights on and flash....and they stay up! :evil:

I know there is a wiring mod for this but have not got round to doing it yet. ](*,)
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Not on real mr2s they dont :wink:
mk2too

Post by mk2too »

Gotta be the lights for me, especially as its starting to get dark up come the lights and your ready for business!
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

steering fog lamps for me gets people confused,as for my mate he loves the pop up lights & makes me flash them all the time lol
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Scott Barton wrote:
Is it the way the seat belts retract on an import when the door opens? It could be the pop up headlights?

???? Never noticed this before :shock:

I like the smell, for some reason all Jap cars (Scoobies and Evos etc) seem to have a certain interior smell that some how stays :D

Oh and all the little storage spaces, people dont relise how much space is actaully in these :)

Scott Barton wrote:
Except if you have your side lights on and flash....and they stay up! :evil:

I know there is a wiring mod for this but have not got round to doing it yet. ](*,)

LOL, I hate that, I try not to flash at anyone when I have the side lights on because of this :D. when they stay up I usually wait till Im braking, turn the lights off, wait till their down and turn them back on so the car behind doesnt think my lights are fooked :mrgreen:

I need to do that mod as well to stop it :)
starmist

Post by starmist »

It must be the little knob in mine.... gear knob that is, i love the short throw and how it is high up on the transmission tunnel.
thebody

Post by thebody »

I love the fact the wipers have 4 different intermitent settings
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Dandism!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
JJ

Post by JJ »

The way the interior rattles !! :mrgreen: Reminds me how good the BMW is !! :clown:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
redmr89

Post by redmr89 »

ok im not sure how to describe this. and this is my first mid engined car, but its the feal of driving it. the whole light front end and balanced cornering thing, also when you look out the windscreen and theres nothing there, unlike a front engined car where theres a bonnet. it still feals odd to me, dont know if im getting across what i mean but i know.
sketch

Post by sketch »

ancient mariner wrote: my car is absolutely useless as a taxi or removal vehicle :lol:

That was probably the main reason I swapped for an Mr2 :lol:

For me I dont think there's anything I dont like (apart from rust worries).
I love that the indicaters are on the correct side, popping the lights up to flash people out at junctions (mine pop back down on there own :oldtongue: ).
The noise, the cars ability to squeeze through impossible gaps and leave everyone else behind :lol:

I've forgotten one :-k Oh yeah and the built in bottle opener in the door shut :thumleft:
CRTwo

Post by CRTwo »

My favourite thing is so simple...........the bonnet many a time have me and my friends smurked our way to the front of the car to show someone the engine and many a time have people looked bemused...........have a go lmao

simple things and all that

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”