[Mk2] [NA] WARNING LIGHTS ON????

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

chalkiepete

[Mk2] [NA] WARNING LIGHTS ON????

Post by chalkiepete »

Hi all,

Ok, so I was driving along and heard a noise from the rear of the car.

I suspected it was the alternator belt. I was right it had gone, so I limped the car home, With three warning lights on the dash. (see below)

Today I picked up a new belt and fitted it.

With it all done, I jumped in and started her up, but I still got the following three lights on:-

Engine bay cooling fan light - battery light - Cat warning light.

I have checked the belt is tight. I have checked the charging fuses in the front. I did notice the cat sensor was very very loose, but I'm soon to remove it so am not worried about it.

I have had a flick through the forum and have heard several possible problems - Green yellow wire - Alternator etc.

The thing that puzzles me is that everything was fine & dandy, the alternator belt snaps and then I have these fault lights come on.

I've read someone ran a live to the positive terminal of the alternator, is this just to polarise the diodes?

Also someone else said to disconnect the battery for ten mins to reset something?

Any thoughts or help please would be appreciated. Thanks :thumleft:
BoJohannsen

Re: [Mk2] [NA] WARNING LIGHTS ON????

Post by BoJohannsen »

Alright?

I had a similar problem mate! Turned out my alternator was goosed too. I took the old one to my local auto sparky and they tested it. They said it was still charging but you had to horse lots of revs through it so I was always having to manually charge my battery. In the end I had to fork out for a recon alt.

It would seem alternators are quite fragile on Mk 2's.
chalkiepete

Post by chalkiepete »

BoJohannsen wrote:Alright?

I had a similar problem mate! Turned out my alternator was goosed too. I took the old one to my local auto sparky and they tested it. They said it was still charging but you had to horse lots of revs through it so I was always having to manually charge my battery. In the end I had to fork out for a recon alt.

Ok cool cheers mucho for that mate...will get it checked tomoz... thanks again.
chalkiepete

Post by chalkiepete »

BoJohannsen wrote:Alright?

Oh and thanks again....a little update....I forked out for a new one from Jap Parts about £90quid & bobs ya uncle.....superb!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHyuWd3ZPA8

Return to “Electrical”