Sunvisors

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

speed

Sunvisors

Post by speed »

Both my visors are grey to match the roof lining bu ti just noticed that the passenger one with the mirror is black vinyl on the back, is this normal?
cantfindausername

Re: Sunvisors

Post by cantfindausername »

Dont think so. All I've seen are cloth. :-k
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

Mine are now so stiff that the driver side one is really difficult to move. Is there any way of freeing them up a bit?
If at first you don't succeed...
give up skydiving!
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Replacing them would probs be the easiest option.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

yes it is normal for them to have the black vinyl on them when opened, when closed they are the same colour as the roof lining
jim55

Post by jim55 »

iv got a grey pair for sale guys
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=
pm if there any good to you ,all working and not stiff :mrgreen:
Olly.Dent

Post by Olly.Dent »

I thought that most of them were grey and black is rare?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I've had 2 sets of sun visors and they were both one colour all over. I had a grey set, with matching headlining and interior light control, which came as standard in my rev3 GT-S. I exchanged them for black ones, with a black headlining & light unit, from a rev2 GT. I'm not sure if it was GT's that had black headlinings, or rev2's, or whether it was an option. Never seen a set that were a different colour on either side!

Dunno if that helps :thumleft:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

Olly.Dent wrote:I thought that most of them were grey and black is rare?

I think the black is more common. Depends on the headcloth colour what colour the visors are i assume? All the 2s i've been in have had black ones. :-k

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the grey headlining was on later (Rev4+?) cars?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

You're wrong :) Reread my post, my rev3 was grey!

I had assumed that rev1s and 2s were black, and rev3+ was grey (from either people thinking the interior was claustrophobic with a dark roof area, or because it got too hot in Japan). However I think there are actually 3 colours...
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

Yep i actually meant to type Rev3+

Reason i think that is because i've been in maybe 6-7 MR2s, but they have all been Rev1 or Rev2s, but never in a Rev3 or above :)
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

A quick gander at the EPC has just confused me even more.

Headlinings only came in either grey or black.
Sunvisors came in either grey, shadow grey or black.
Interior lighting unit came in either grey, blue or black.

There are no production years marked against any of them. So I'm really none the wiser! I do know that my black headlining is out of a rev2 GT, the other rev2 I've been in had a black headlining as well (but was a g-limited) and as stated above my rev3 was grey, so I reckon it was a facelift change. They were all imports, I don't remember what colour the headlining on the rev2 UK car I went in was.
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

Well i have two G-Limited T-Tops here (1990 and 1991) and they both have black headlining, with black visors. But i guess that is pointless information :lol:
Olly.Dent

Post by Olly.Dent »

I have grey in my rev2 and am about to change it over to black, should i do it? :-k
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Olly.Dent wrote:I have grey in my rev2 and am about to change it over to black, should i do it? :-k

I did. In my eyes having a grey roof with a black interior doesn't match well, and cheapens the interior. I did it and it looks good :)

It's not a big job so you can always change it back if you don't like it!!
speed

Post by speed »

Damn now you've got me wanting to change my roof liner to black. What bits do i need, roof liner, roof light unit, sunroof cover, black fittings for sunvisors, sunvisors. The handle on my sunroof is grey, it won't match a black roof!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

What you've said sounds right. I've got a tintop so no sunroof gubbins to worry about. It's about a half hour job to swap it all over - you have to remove the bits of trim round the top and bottom of the rear window, partially unclip the rear quarter window trim, unclip the tops of the 'a' pillar trim so they're loose, and unscrew the sunvisors/internal light. The headlining itself is held in with 5 big flat plastic plugs (3 along the rear window, 1 under each 'a' pillar trim) and the visor and light fittings.

You won't believe it when you look at it but the headlining can be removed through the door without removing the seats and without damaging / folding it. It might be a little more complicated with a t-bar or sunroof as you've got seals and the like to remove.

Edit: Having said that, I looked at my picture of the headlining I removed and I can only see 4 tabs round the edge... I'm sure I remember 5! EPC says 4 too.

http://theshado.ws/images/imoc/interior ... C10061.JPG

Return to “Mechanical”