BMW M5

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Graeme Shaw

BMW M5

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Sat behind an M5 waiting at a roundabout to go onto the a19 south bound.

Lights went green, I hung back, but stayed in second to see if he was gonna play. He immediatly pulled over, so I thought he wasnt playing, so backed off a bit, I didnt wnat to look like a div scraeming past :roll: . As I got almost level, he floors it!!, leaving me looking like a right tit in the outside lane.
I then floor it, but its all too late by this point, hes well gone. Coincidently the car would NOT hit full boost in third for some reason. Think it was because I was running poor fuel.
Had the car been running better, and I was on the ball (didnt back off) I would have nailed him obviously :whistle:

What do you think? I think its about 507 bhp with that little button pressed, would any of us stand a chance?

Graeme
leeandjude

Re: BMW M5

Post by leeandjude »

once left an M6 behind at testos roundabout in the scooby!...if you know the roundabout you are meant to stay in the far left lane to go across but xxxx go next to you to cut in...but not on that day! guy was not amused! :lol:
dont think i would of standed a chance down the a19 though......
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Graeme Shaw wrote:
What do you think? I think its about 507 bhp with that little button pressed, would any of us stand a chance?

Graeme

Maybe a highly modded 2 would have a chance but the M5 is a beast of a car for the size of it, been out in a few of them and the acceleration is just mad!! The SMG box is amazing, set it to the fastest shift setting, foot to the floor and you just flick through the 7 gears like an F1 car :D :D . Plus the sound it makes =P~ =P~

0-60 times might be close but I would say 60+ the M5 will be gone like the wind, dont forget they can hit about 210mph so even if you do keep up it will be gone once you get to 150 anyway :D

Plus the M5 has all the new technology in it eg suspension which makes it handle great.

If you get the chance to drive one do, I love the heads up display that projects onto the windscreen!!

Overall, I wouldnt bother trying to race one unless your highly modded, even if you do win the owner was probably not trying and would probably think the same that we think when a litting 1.1 Saxo overtakes us thinking hes the fastest thing on the road because he overtook an MR2 lol :lol: :wink:
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

The M5 wouldnt stand a chance because it would take half an hour just to turn on the extra 100bhp, sports suspension and race mode etc etc using the stupid computer.

May aswell just play Forza 2.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Martian_333 wrote:The M5 wouldnt stand a chance because it would take half an hour just to turn on the extra 100bhp, sports suspension and race mode etc etc using the stupid computer.

Er you can just have the 500bhp on all the time, you dont have to turn it down...
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

RobCrezz wrote:
Martian_333 wrote:The M5 wouldnt stand a chance because it would take half an hour just to turn on the extra 100bhp, sports suspension and race mode etc etc using the stupid computer.

Er you can just have the 500bhp on all the time, you dont have to turn it down...

think it was a joke....
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

mr2nut123 wrote:
RobCrezz wrote:

think it was a joke....

ok.....
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

But Even without the M button pressed its still a VERY VERY Fast car :thumleft:
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

in all fairness though, you can have a mildly tuned 2 to say 320bhp quite easily.....and i think it would would pull on an m5 early stages, but top end i think the m5 would ruin 99% of 2 turbos out there....apart from the serious boys.

When it comes to power/weight it usually only affects early hard acceleration....once over the first couple of gears, imo would be the m5 all the way.

Thing we have got to remember is! we drive 5k cars! they are pelting it around in 80k cars! it always feels sooooooooo good even if you give something like that a run for its money :P
mr2toby

Post by mr2toby »

A standard M5 will run 12.5 @ 115 mph quarter mile. Looking at the 1/4 mile table you will need 350 + to even stand a chance!

Our cars may only be worth a few grand, but it always nice to have a run with more expensive machinery. Especially when you pull over and they ask What have you done to that ? Oh, i didn't know they done a turbo model. :twisted:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Turbo97 wrote:Thing we have got to remember is! we drive 5k cars! they are pelting it around in 80k cars! it always feels sooooooooo good even if you give something like that a run for its money :P

Surely you either mean your £20K cars and their £60K cars, or your £5K cars and their £25K cars? ;)
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

was rough estimates on pricing :P

Even though if you base it on my car bein 5k....theres no way any new style m5's are going for anywhere near 25k??? surely.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

One just sold on PH for a fiver under that, and there's loads under £30K. Performance bargain of the moment, perhaps?
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

bloody hell.....and thats the latest version m5??? :shock:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I saw one tearing down the M25 one day like it was stolen.
I have a tad over 300bhp and there was no way I would have caught it.

As others have said, may be getting it moving would be harder than a tubby, but certainly once moving power to weight is hardly an issue. Saying that, dont they have a sub 5 second 0-60 time? I would say they would have much more usable power through the revs compared to a tubby with giant turbo bolted on as well.
I've seen some of these 500+ bhp tubbies RR graphs where they have barely standard power until 5.5k revs when the boost kicks in, hits it's high point around 6.5k rpms then redlines at 7.5k.

You just wouldnt get that in a car that's designed to have 500 bhp.

I wouldnt go calling it a performance bargain just yet though boys.
Even if you can get one for £25k it'll still cost a hell of a lot of money to run one.

And btw, they're limited to 155mph like all German cars bar the supercars like Porkers. There are a number of reasons, sensibility being one but the other that it would take some serious tires, brakes, suspension etc etc to have a car that can safely do 200mph
All that would add up to a much more expensive car.
fizz

Post by fizz »

Had a play against one off the line going onto a dual carrige way this lunch time.

It was the outgoing version the shape from 2002/2003 style.

I started behind him when the lights turned green.. 1st gear i couldn't use full throttle as because he didnt get off the line great...

2nd gear i moved into the 2nd lane and got about 1/2 a cars length in front.. 3rd gear was even at the beginning but towards the end he was reeling me back in.. and by 4th he had left me for dead...

Very impressive machines! :clap:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Is this the older 400bhp V8 one?

Like this:

fizz

Post by fizz »

matt_mr2t wrote:Is this the older 400bhp V8 one?

Like this:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://s3assets.nextnewnetworks.com/1189.jpg

Aye.. thats the bu88er... :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I remember when they came out. Think it was the first family saloon car to be more powerful than a Lotus Carlton so a bit of a fuss was made.
No one seems to bat an eye lid now when the new one is 500bhp and the Audi RS6 is 570bhp :shock:
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

matt_mr2t wrote:
I wouldnt go calling it a performance bargain just yet though boys.
Even if you can get one for £25k it'll still cost a hell of a lot of money to run one.

And btw, they're limited to 155mph like all German cars bar the supercars like Porkers. There are a number of reasons, sensibility being one but the other that it would take some serious tires, brakes, suspension etc etc to have a car that can safely do 200mph
All that would add up to a much more expensive car.

I'm pretty sure the suspension and brakes are quite 'serious' as it is actually. I think most of these cars now are engineered to be able to use all the performance, in fact I believe on the latest Audis you just pay extra to have it delimited from the factory.

Totally agree about the running costs, I heard a guy talking about his one once when they had quite recently come out. He was telling the guys at the Smart garage he was getting 7 mpg :shock:

Return to “Driving Experiences”