Engine bay cooling fan warning -UPDATE

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Pete

Engine bay cooling fan warning -UPDATE

Post by Pete »

Hi All,

My engine bay cooling fan light has come on this afternoon after replacing the battery. I had to jump start the car yesterday, and found the battery was knackered. Fitted the new battery this afternoon and the light came on straight away, I tried looking in the haynes manual but can't find anything about this.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Pete
Last edited by Pete on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
un1eash

Re: Engine bay cooling fan warning -UPDATE

Post by un1eash »

Check the contacts, usually means something wrong with the charge.

EDIT: Assuming the engine is running.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Yes, engine runs and sounds OK. I spent the last hour rumaging around in the shed with a torch to find my spare cooling fan relay.

I thought i'd test this by quickly swapping my spare relay into the car. Fired the engine, and no cooling fan light on now :mrgreen: . I think that has solved it, perhaps the relay was faulty or somehow damaged by the jump start :-k
Pete

Post by Pete »

UPDATE - I ran the car last night for about a half hour run, everything was fine - no warning lights.

I've now started it today and the battery light is on (brand new mega battery!) and the cooling fan light has come back on. The car runs fine though.

Anyone got any suggestions? It seems strange the relay swap worked, now the 2 warning lights are on. Any help appreciated.

Thanks
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

check the connections on the alternator and if possible check the output.
Pete

Post by Pete »

i did wonder about the alternator. Having just fitted a good battery, the voltmeter is only at the mid point on the scale (was more at 3/4 last week).
meltie

Post by meltie »

Pete wrote:i did wonder about the alternator. Having just fitted a good battery, the voltmeter is only at the mid point on the scale (was more at 3/4 last week).
That lamp, the voltmeter not being up at the two-thirds mark when engine running nicely and your battery died a few days back? It's most probably a charging problem - your alt may have kicked the bucket.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Yep - as suspected, alternator was knackered. Got a new one on today, and all is well again. Thanks for the help folks :) .
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Im having issues with mine as well ,how do you check output from the alternator?
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Cant remember of the top of my head so will post 2nite when i check my haynes unless someone else does before hand.

What issues exactly are you having?
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

un1eash wrote:Cant remember of the top of my head so will post 2nite when i check my haynes unless someone else does before hand.

What issues exactly are you having?

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 64#1002964
Pete

Post by Pete »

OK, another update!

All had been well, but now when I get high up the rev range (5500+), the battery and engine cooling fan light flash on again :roll: . They stay on unless I drop the revs.

I was wondering if they have fitted the wrong alternator i.e one with less output, I know there are a couple of different ones available for the MK1 - does this sound like the case? How would I check?

Thanks again.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Sounds like a IC regulator thing but if they replaced the alternator it should be fine, could be a bad earth.
viperrr

Post by viperrr »

Pete wrote:OK, another update!

All had been well, but now when I get high up the rev range (5500+), the battery and engine cooling fan light flash on again :roll: . They stay on unless I drop the revs.

I was wondering if they have fitted the wrong alternator i.e one with less output, I know there are a couple of different ones available for the MK1 - does this sound like the case? How would I check?

Thanks again.

I was having awful problems with alternators, and I've just bought a brand new one.
Whilst I was fitting it I noticed most of the wires that connect to it were in pretty poor condition - I even managed to break the one that screws into the alternator, as it was so brittle.

Now that I've fixed this wire it seems to be working beautifully. Will definitely be worth checking all your wires :thumleft:
Pete

Post by Pete »

I seem to be sorted now. The garage found that the replacement alternator had some kind of fault, so have replaced it with another one.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”