Tyre advice

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nikaiyo

Tyre advice

Post by nikaiyo »

Morning People

Just looking for some advice on tyre choice, I want a decent tyre that gives good grip and lasts reasonably well :thumleft:

I am thinking of either :

Goodyear F1 £84.53 fully fitted ballanced etc
Toyo Proxes T1R £84.52 fully fitted ballanced etc
Falken 452 £71.48 fully fitted ballanced etc

Anyone got any opinions advice or other suggestions?

Thanks

Nik
swin

Re: Tyre advice

Post by swin »

had goodyear F1's on motor for last 8 years cant fault them :thumleft:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Never used the F1s but I'd say go for them. The T1R tyres are good but they are a soft compound and I killed a pair in about 6000 miles on the Mk1 IIRC.
Deegee99

Post by Deegee99 »

Hi, got 452's on the fronts of my G-Ltd Auto and they have done about 2k, grip well, not had a problem with them at all.
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

FORGET the Toyo's they are poo.
Have a look at Hankook RS2's. Heard nothing but good things about them.
Apexi Induction, Gutted Cat, Departure Exhaust, Magnecor Leads, St205 cc, Blitz ebc.
Carbotech pads.
paul port

Post by paul port »

Looking at the prices for the F1's - must only be the Fronts you are replacing...

Out of those the F1 is the only real option...

If you are looking for a Good Budget tyre, 'marangoni - zeta linea' are available in 16+" fit and are very good indeed (they also have Track / championship pedigree)

I asked my usual dealer down south to order them in for me, and they came out half the price of the Official marangoni dealers in the area.

If you have 15" wheels, stick with the F1s

Paul
Baker

Post by Baker »

BiGWiLlYsTyLe

Post by BiGWiLlYsTyLe »

I have had Avons and Kumho on my MR2 and Kumho are by far the best even though Avon is supposed to be better.Not tried any others to compare though :-#
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i fancy trying the uniroyal rainsport 2 as it's got some nice reviews. Shame I have nothing to back that up or even prices of the blighters. I've got a bit to go on the goodyears though so some time to think about it
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

I will also be going for the Hankook RS2's....heard great things about them so give them a bash :)
pekwah1

Post by pekwah1 »

Hi mate,

If it helps i got Hankook V12 Evo's put on the front of mine the other day.
Even in this crap weather of late, they seem to be performing extremely well!

Also have had brilliant reviews, and have outperformed most of the top brands in most categories (handling, braking, noise, wear etc).
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

What sizes are you looking at mate? I've not seen the F1s in a 15" for a long time. You on 16s? Apparently the toyos are good with the smaller profile a 16 or 17 brings but to be honest I rate them as good on my 15s... with the proviso you inflate them a bit more than standard to make up for a soft sidewall on the rear. Mine run 32/37 and are certainly better in all regards than the old yokohama AO22s.

R.

PS. Only bit of advice I'd give is keep the same tyre front and rear. You don't want them behaving differently when they start to give up grip at the extremes.
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

HighwayStar wrote:What sizes are you looking at mate? I've not seen the F1s in a 15" for a long time. You on 16s? Apparently the toyos are good with the smaller profile a 16 or 17 brings but to be honest I rate them as good on my 15s... with the proviso you inflate them a bit more than standard to make up for a soft sidewall on the rear. Mine run 32/37 and are certainly better in all regards than the old yokohama AO22s.

R.

PS. Only bit of advice I'd give is keep the same tyre front and rear. You don't want them behaving differently when they start to give up grip at the extremes.

They are for 17s mate, I have found some really cheap Yoko Prada2's on the net, £100 for 2!!!! so will prob give them a try :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”