[Mk2] [Generic] Big Disc Conversion.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cantfindausername

[Mk2] [Generic] Big Disc Conversion.

Post by cantfindausername »

Does anyone know of a big disc conversion for the Mk2 MR2 that is already on the market?

Rather than spending the earth on a full set up, I'm considering the options of fitting just a bigger set of discs to the car, but using the stock calipers. Main focus being increased leverage and increased cooling ability. There would obviously be some increase in unsprung weight, but nothing too major I dont think.

What are peoples opinons on this?

Thanks,
Ant
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
JJ

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Big Disc Conversion.

Post by JJ »

www.wolfkatz.com/products.php?cat=25

Wolfkatz do a kit... but how big do you want to go ??!!! I've never got round to it, but I'm sure I can get the UK Spec Supra TT front brakes on the front with minimal 17" wheels fitted of course.

Unfortunately... due to the exchange rate, they're also quite salty ! :pale:

I'm sure Chris Isles got some Jag XKR's on the front of his !! :D
cantfindausername

Supra UK spec 325mm discs are favorite at the moment and that is what I'd probaly look to go with initially. Layout on discs is pricey, but if I could make a few sets to recoupe costs it could be worth it. Would be a front and rear upgrade.

The WolfKatz kit uses a 4 pot front caliper. I'm proposing no change to the calipers, just the discs.

One question about the XKR discs, how would you get around fitting a disc with a much bigger center hole, ensuring it stays centered?
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

JJ wrote:I'm sure Chris Isles got some Jag XKR's on the front of his !! :D

Christ, remember seeing them when I went round to his work, they are hooooooge!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Ant, you can put Supra 325mm on the front but the offset is wrong for the rear, however, rx8 discs will work there and they are 324mm.
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

jap spec performance in Dumfries did this exact conversion. Supra front disc std caliper
cantfindausername

I've PM'd Jap Spec to see if they offer it as a kit or can supply details about the caliper adapter.

Johnny, Does the RX8 front definately fit on the rear? I've tried to find the size for the center hole etc, but have come up blank for now.

Do you think the RX8 would be a better option than the supra rear then?
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

cantfindausername wrote:I've PM'd Jap Spec to see if they offer it as a kit or can supply details about the caliper adapter.

Johnny, Does the RX8 front definately fit on the rear? I've tried to find the size for the center hole etc, but have come up blank for now.

Do you think the RX8 would be a better option than the supra rear then?

I do mate. I've seen a few mr2's with that stateside, no articles though. Check brakes international online catalogue for info.

I've gone Supra front and rear but I'm having flared arches and 10" wheels ;)
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
JJ

Post by JJ »

cantfindausername wrote:I've PM'd Jap Spec to see if they offer it as a kit or can supply details about the caliper adapter.

I think a few of us would be interested ant ! Shouldnt be too hard to make some sort of extended bracket for the existing caliper ??!!

Does the RX8 front definately fit on the rear?

Just to clarify - these are RX8 rears on the MR2 rears ?? or RX8 fronts on MR2 rears ??! :-k
cantfindausername

From the information I've found it would be RX8 fronts (323mm x 24mm) to fit on the rear of the MR2. I'm going to look into making a ring up to sit in the 67mm center bore of the RX8 disc so it doesn't "float" on the rear hub.

Currently shopping list is:
Cheap set of discs front discs from Supra & RX8
Cheap Front Rev2+ Caliper.

Once I have them I can start creating as I've already got spare rear brakes/hubs.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Chris

Post by Chris »

Yep, the XKR ones are still mounted to a hub somewhere at work. I've canned the idea as my Blitz wheels wont clear the Brembo calipers and 380mm discs. Gunna try some Supra discs also. Should clear OK then. Anyone know the width of Supra discs?
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Ant Hi-Spec do a caliper spacer and disks 320mm ish, have the rear kit on my 2, might save you a lot of trouble?? Or if you want to make the mounts then your welcome to take a look at mine if you need.
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Supra Front
Diameter: 323mm
Thickness: 30mm
Hub Hole Diameter: 62mm
Overall Height: 50.4mm

Supra Rear
Diameter: 324mm
Thickness: 21mm
Hub Hole Diameter: 62mm
Overall Height: 67.7mm
cantfindausername

Cheers Matt. I might stick my head under your rear end and have a nose about when I next get to a meet :lol:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
cantfindausername

Right, after a bit of snooping around, there is already a kit in development over in the States.

Wolfkatz are currently in the developments stages and will be doing a GB as soon as the kit is available. This shouldn't be more than a few weeks away. There should be different options available for how you want to piece the kit together. More info will become available on this in due course.

I am speaking to Garrett at the moment to see if I can get a GB set up for UK buyers. My idea being a single delivery address and then to distribute them from here to keep the Trans-Atlantic delivery costs down. Obvioulsy some investigation would need to be done around this with regards to package sizes etc.

This is all speculation at the moment, but I think this will be a good, well priced upgrade to the Rev2+ MR2.

I've let Garrett know that there is already a good bit of interest on here, so add your names if you're interested and I'll see what I can do for a GB.
----------------------------
1. cantfindausername
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
JJ

Post by JJ »

I'm interested... but perhaps doing it myself first.. ( not the distribution ). Wolfkatz have an agreement with TB remember ... dont know if it s sole distribution or not... ??!

Probably next week.. I'll pull the front end apart to see what I'm dealing with.. ( I'm fitting my OS Giken twin plate at the moment ) possible I could put something together for 16 inch wheel users and 17 inch wheel users .. see if its possible to use existing calipers ( an option ) or combination of UK Spec supra calipers ( larger ) to JDM calipers.... possibility in using the forged aluminium calipers ( lightweight )used on the Lexus GS300 Vertex / LS400.

Need to get hold of parts first... I have a pair of scrap JDM supra discs / calipers for starters...

How I see it.. Supra owners upgrade their JDM front end for UK / US spec .. that'll be a source for the parts ( vultures ! ) .... and option for the tracking MR2s with the 16 inch wheels... :thumleft:
cantfindausername

I'm not sure how the GB would work through xxxx. I'm not after a profiteering scheme, just to get as good a price as poss for those interested.

Even if its just the 1 kit for myself. If I had easier access to a mill I'd knock my own out, but this just seems an easier option right now.

The UK 4 pot calipers are a fair upgrade, but they are BIG! The Lexus ones are the oncs currently used on the Wolfkatz big brake kit. - This kit wasn't received very well unfortunately.

I've also got a set of JDM Supra discs/calipers and I was surprised to find that the mounting points were narrower on the Supra.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

the Wolfkatz kit though great was hugely expensive (i think the calipers were the biggest cost) though very well done.

However an alternative would be supra or brembo evo front discs with Porsche Radial Calipers from the rear of the boxster. I just don't have the contacts to make up the caliper bracket
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Dunno if this would be what you are looking for?

http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=14243

Big Brake kit €720 mk2+3
Some Specs:
-ROTORS, 324mm diameter, 30mm thick (12.76" x .1.18") curved vane directional, cross drilled.
-CALIPERS, Wilwood forged Superlite four piston (4.5 lbs compared to stock caliper around 9 lbs each)
-PADS, Wilwood BP10 'Smart Pads'
-FLEX HOSES: Stainless steel braided Teflon hoses

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
cantfindausername

Stuart thats still £720 for a set of Willwood calipers on Supra discs. Calipers aren't that pricey. I'm not really seeing that kit as good value.

However, until the "bracket only" kit is available from Wolfkatz we wont have an understanding of how good or bad the price actually is.

I'm 1 x Rev2+ caliper away from being able to piece a kit together myself. I'm going to hold off that though to see what the price is from Wolfkatz for just the Brackets.

Just for an idea on prices, Supra UK-spec TT front discs and RX8 front discs I've priced at a local motor factor for £276 all in.

Put on top of that the price of the brackets, and its still gonna work out quite cheap... in comparison to other "big brake" kits. And this is for all 4 corners. :thumleft:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***

Return to “Modifications”