Big Apple Tour 2009 (Scotland Trip)

Reports and Feedback from MR2 related events

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

S A Watt

Big Apple Tour 2009 (Scotland Trip)

Post by S A Watt »

Hi to all

The Scotland trip is now official. The dates are as follows:-

Friday 4th, Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th September 2009.

For all those that wish we will also have a meal in Huntly on the Thursday 3rd September 2009.

A convoy will be coming North on Thursday 3rd September and picking up people en-route.

The trip this year is as follows:-

Day 1 - Friday

Leave Huntly, Aberdeenshire and follow the A97 through Rhynie and Lumsden to Mossat where we will continue through Glenkindie and join the A944 through Strathdon. At Corgarff we will join the A939 over the Lecht mountain range to Bridge of Brown and join the A95 at Spey Bridge. We will then cut onto the B970 upthrough Nethybridge and coylum Bridge to the Cairngorm Mountain Range and Loch Morlich where we will stop for lunch. We are then going down the A9 through Aviemore to Inverness over the Kessock Bridge to Tore. We will then join the A835 through the hills and glens to Ullapool, our first stopover.

We will arrange to have an evening meal and refreshments and enjoy the hospitality of this lovely fishing village on the west coast.

We will be staying in various B & Bs in Ullapool and cost will be just under £30 per person depending on where you choose.

Day 2 - Saturday

Leave Ullapool on the A835 and follow the A32 past the Falls of Measach, this will follow the breathtaking north-west coast of Scotland taking us through various small towns and villages to Gairloch. We will continue on the A832 to Kinlochewe where we will join the A896 to Shieldaig. We then take the coastal route through Kenmore, Fernmore, Callakille and onto Applecross where we will stop for a bite of lunch and banter at the Applecross Inn. In the afternoon we will travel the famous Applecross Pass which has some of the most breathtaking views at the peak. We will then rejoin the A896 through Loch Carron and Stromeferry down to Kyle of Lochalsh. Here we cross the Skye Bridge through beautiful mountains and glens on the A87 to our stopover in the Islands capital of Portree.

Here we will have our evening meal and refreshments and enjoy the local facilities of Portree. We may even manage to meet with some of the locals for a small ceilidh like last year.

Accommodation will be in B&Bs in Portree and will be approximately £30 per person.

Day 3 - Sunday

We will leave Portree and follow the A87 to Broadford where we will then take the road to Elgol. This is one of the best roads I have ever travelled with fantastic views and hills, mountains and glens to behold. We will then rejoin the A87 and follow this back past Loch Duich and the famouse Eilian Donan castle through the Five Sisters and onto the A887 to Invermoriston. We will then follow Loch Ness and the A82 to our last stopover in Inverness.

Evening meal will be enjoyed in the Snowgoose next to the recommended accommodation at the Travelodge.

If you have never been in Scotland this is likely to be some of the best scenery you will see in the Uk.

It is normally very popular and we do have to restrict the numbers to around 15 cars due to the geographical area, accommodation etc.

This has proved very popular over the last 2 years with many people returning for both years.

We have the following people already fully booked:-

Shane and Susan
Mark and Christina
Michael and Joanne
Jinxy and Debs
Bill and May
Andy & Crystal
Ali & Fran
Allan Welsh
Fred and Doris

These are all booked in so far.

People who have also said they will attend and are arranging accommodation are:-

Frogge & Celina
Pete Hartley
Starr family
Mark (Portgordon)

If you wish to attend this trip please let us know and we can provide details of the various accommodations that we would suggest that you book for the trip.

We will provide details of meal stopovers etc shortly.

Look forward to seeing you in September.

Shane and Susan
Last edited by S A Watt on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmwbill

Re: Big Apple Tour 2009 (Scotland Trip)

Post by bmwbill »

:D :D The last two trips have been fantastic and this one looks even better :thumleft: :thumleft: looks like there are only a few places left. You wont get better roads and scenery in the UK,
Bill. :thumleft: :thumleft:
uglee

Post by uglee »

I keep trying to make this but offshore commitments have made it a nightmare to attend. Very familiar with all the routes that you will be taking as I spend a lot of time driving these roads as they are in my opinion perfect!

I'd like to go but don't want to take a spot if someone is an absolute definite. I'll know approx 3 months before the event if I can make it. If I do go I'll camp so no arrangements will be needed for accommodation etc.

Let me know what you reckon is best. I understand why you'd like to keep numbers down. I organised a very similar event and there was 20+ cars and it can be a bit of a nightmare :lol:

Sorry to be a pain :(

ps. Will you be seeing the Quiraing on Skye?

S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Hi Lee

Thats not a problem mate just keep me up to date and we can speak about if nearer the time :thumleft:

We are going to take in the Elgol road on Skye which is tops. You can never try of the place.

Speak soon

Shane
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

List update

Fully Booked up

Shane and Susan
Mark and Christina
Michael and Joanne
Jinxy and Debs
Bill and May
Andy & Crystal
Ali & Fran
Allan Welsh
Gav & Partner
Steve & Chan
Fred & Doris
Pete
Wayne

People who have also said they will attend and are arranging accommodation are:-

Frogge & Celina
Starr family
Mark (Portgordon)
Last edited by S A Watt on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Gav & Partner from Elgin are now booked on the trip.

See you September :thumleft:
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Room for 1 other couple
flashgordon

Post by flashgordon »

put me and alison down please shane
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

8) sweet. Best start saving for petrol and beer :mrgreen:
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Hi gordon thats great your name is now down on the trip.

Thats the trip full

Good lad Allan. Fuel is coming down so thats more beer :thumleft:

Shane
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

List update

Fully Booked up

Shane and Susan
Mark and Christina
Michael and Joanne
Jinxy and Debs
Bill and May
Andy & Crystal
Ali & Fran
Allan Welsh
Gav & Partner
Steve & Chan
Fred & Doris
Pete
Wayne
Gordon & Allison

Frogge & Celina
Starr family
Mark (Portgordon)
Garry & Partner
Last edited by S A Watt on Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

Would there be other accomodation nearby? i am from aberdeen and quite fancy the sound of this :)
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Hi Phil

Its not the accommodation that is the problem its just the number of cars for some of the roads we will be traveling on. They are great but can be narrow

Really cant have more than about 15 cars tops.

What i will do is put you as 1st reserve if you want and i am fairly sure we will get you in.

Ocassionally there is the odd person that drops out.

Hope to see you in some of the Aberdeenshire runs this year though and we can speak about it then. They start in April/May and we noramally have 3 or 4 through the summer normally on a sunday.

Shane
RST

Post by RST »

Shane,

I'll hope to make some of this. Not sure which parts yet -it's a long time off and I don't know what's happening (where I'll be located) after March this year work-wise.

Richard
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Hi Richard

I knew that was the case with you mate but i am sure you will keep me up to date with where you are and what you can do.

Looking forward to catching up with you soon.

:thumleft: Shane
Lemon Secretary

Post by Lemon Secretary »

hi all, long time no speak! i'm afraid i won't make it along to this for 2009. just too much going on and too little pennies. but i'm hoping to catch those of you who are going at jae :thumleft: x
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Nice to hear from you Reema

Sorry you cant make this year.

Never mind maybe next year

Catch up soon i hope.

Shane & Susan
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

S A Watt wrote:Hi Phil

Its not the accommodation that is the problem its just the number of cars for some of the roads we will be traveling on. They are great but can be narrow

Really cant have more than about 15 cars tops.

What i will do is put you as 1st reserve if you want and i am fairly sure we will get you in.

Ocassionally there is the odd person that drops out.

Hope to see you in some of the Aberdeenshire runs this year though and we can speak about it then. They start in April/May and we noramally have 3 or 4 through the summer normally on a sunday.

Shane

Thanks shane! keep me posted as i am always happy to join in the banter :)

Cheers
S A Watt

Post by S A Watt »

Hi All

Have now returned from holiday and am now back to organising the forthcoming trip in September.

The weather on the west coast has been pretty good so hopefully this will continue and we will have good weather for our trip in September.

We will be doing a recce of the trip next month so that everything is in order for the trip.

We will keep you all udpated on progress and look forward to seeing all of you again in September and also meeting any new members.

Shane and Susan
Portgordon

Post by Portgordon »

Am I still good to go on this or are there too many cars now? We'd be camping (Lauren would be attending with me also this year) so theres no accommodation requirements....

Cheers :thumleft:

Mark

Return to “Past Events”