[Mk2] [NA] Alarm and Battery Issues

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

freerein

[Mk2] [NA] Alarm and Battery Issues

Post by freerein »

Hi all

Please help

I have a 1990 Mk2 with a key fob alarm and central locking, however the battery has died and I can't get into the car.

When I turn the key in the drivers door nothing happens and I am a bit stuck

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Alteran

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Alarm and Battery Issues

Post by Alteran »

The key should allow you to open the door manually? Have you tried the key in both doors? You may have a shafted drivers door lock.
freerein

Post by freerein »

You would think so but it appears not - i turn the key and nothing happens.

I figure it must be to do with the electric central locking and the battery being dead
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Do you have another car key?

I have 3, 1 works fully and one will not open the boot or glove box and other will only operate engine :)
freerein

Post by freerein »

I only have 1 key.

I have tried the key in the doors and the boot. It doesn't move at all in the passenger door or boot but turns in the drivers door, however it does not unlock the drivers door.

Like I say, I think the battery is dead and may have affected the central locking but I am a little stuck as to what to do next
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

I have never known the key not to unlock the door!

There should be a pinger that pops the lock open which has always still been attached to the key lock barrel.

What about charging the batt and unlocking it with the fob?

<<<<<<EDIT>>>>>>

*Removed by Admin - please don't post how to break into MR2s! PM instead*
si2040

Post by si2040 »

seems like your key does not open the doors as its not the key for the doors only ignition? was the locks ever changed? Having a dead battery or alarm will NEVER not let you open the door with the key...what happens if you left your small child in the car...

I would get your locks looked at as this is more than just a battery issue or alarm...
MR2 Night Fox
freerein

Post by freerein »

Ok - I have now had my mechanic out to look and he has no clue how to get into it without breaking in

Can anyone please help with some advice - the car will not unlock and I have no car and it is becoming unbareable

I have had the car since October and have no idea if the locks have ever been changed but I would guess that they have but I am completely baffled as to why the key would turn in the drivers door one way but not the other to unlock

Return to “Electrical”