Random Starting Problems

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

raygunn

Random Starting Problems

Post by raygunn »

Hi

I have recently been getting a starting problem, I turn the key to start the car but all that happens is the starter clicks and engages on the flywheel, the stereo goes off (as it does when you start) and the interior clock dims (as it does when you start ) the only thing missing is the starter motor spinning????? :-k

I have already changed the starter motor (and hit it to test it), the starter relay, the alternater (as it failed) and checked connections. It appears to be completly random. I can now only assume that the ignition barrel is the culprit??? ](*,) Has anyone got any other ideas?

Cheers
Chris

Re: Random Starting Problems

Post by Chris »

Sounds like a poor earth to me mate. Remove your earth lead and clean up the contact areas. If the motor is engageing its not the switch. HTH,
Phil Dawson

Re: Random Starting Problems

Post by Phil Dawson »

There are Three main earth points on the engine to check if i remember correctly.

Big fat one on the starter motor, one on the gearbox, and one above the alternator....

I just recently had a big earth problem and it was due to the IGN-IG fuse in the engine bay being blown.

Check every fuse, even if its unrelated to starting by being blown the current could be using another path (as with mine) to find its earth.

Return to “Electrical”