buying advise please

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rossyboy99

buying advise please

Post by Rossyboy99 »

guys i have a poor 800 to buy and get a mk1 ship shape,

i have had a rev3 in the past so worlds apart, but i have sen lots of mk1'sfor like 3-4 hundred am i being unrealistic to think i could have one in relativly good nick for 800, is 400 enough to get them tip top or at least roadworthy and looking the part?
Kateg28

Re: buying advise please

Post by Kateg28 »

It can be done but you really need to be lucky. A rough one will cost about 500, to get a class one you really need over £1k up to about £2.5k in my opinion. Rust is the killer. Get the best you can, be patient and then try and do as much as you can yourself. Keep up wth this forum and the others, particularly the MR2 mk1 club as they will give you loads of excellent advice.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I bought mine for 650 with a year's mot and 7 months' tax. It has had the sills and front arches replaced in the past, and is now rusting at the rear valances and slightly on one arch. It doesn't look the prettiest mk1 but it's solid underneath, and its lasted me 7 months and 8k miles with only a new radiator in that time.
It will need a little work to keep it going which I have planned for when the weather picks up, but in the meantime it's done me really well and been far more reliable than the 1997 clio it replaced!

Good ones are around for that sort of money, I've just compromised on the show-stopping looks of some members' cars to buy one I can afford. Just take your time looking at them! The pretty shiny ones aren't always the best long-term bet.

Good luck :thumleft:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Yep they are out there in reasonalbe condition for that kind of money ,

I bought a late mk1b G reg for 500 GBP with 8 months mot and tax 103k miles the guy wanted 600 but as the brakes were poor I got him down to 500 and all Ive had to do is put new disc's and pads all round, new throttle cable and service it I have changed the front drivers wing but the rear arch's had already been done to a very good standard IE little or no filler ,

Since Ive owned it for best part of a year now Ive done 6k miles in it, it sailed the mot, not even one adviserey :mrgreen: , the only time it gave me any greif was when one of my brand new spark plugs got wet somehow and it started missing on the M40 but it got me to my destination on 3 clinders no prob's then fixed it .

Try for a car with as much history as possible also you must have a good look underneath for rust near any of the suspension mounts and also on the A-pillers also B-pillers(The a-piller is what the doors hinge off, the b-piller is where the doors shuts bottom corners) these are structal parts of the car and will Fail the Mot
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Rossyboy99

ok

Post by Rossyboy99 »

ok so its basically look long and hard for bad rust, and get one as close to what i think is the realistic price, there's afair few popping up ideally i'd like the dark blue one and have found one with not tax/test for 300 which leaves me with 500 to get it mot'd taxed and of a fair condition!

should be able?
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Post up the adverts and we can have a look.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 »

I am not too good at this but in my opinion:

Number 1: walk away, doesn't have the log book, what is that about? You can easily get ones better than that one.

Number 2: Seems the best one

Number 3: he is breaking it, you would be buying parts.

There are much more experienced people on this site who may have better opinions than me
Rossyboy99

Post by Rossyboy99 »

first ones cheap and log book is 25 quid and car check 5

last one he will sell whole but no tax mot and needs a good bit of welding
coverco

Post by coverco »

Numbers 1 and 2 have blue interiors avoid like the plague :lol:

Number 3 might have a blue interior be very wary :thumleft:

Seriously though the only way to find out is go and look at them, the lack of log book is not always a problem they may have just lost it. The second one does look the best in my opinion but without seeing it you really can't say.
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

Kateg28 wrote:
Number 1: walk away, doesn't have the log book, what is that about? You can easily get ones better than that one.

Its not that un common tbh, esp older trade cars, people PX em then never come back with service history etc. It might also have been written off by insurers for the damage to the back.

But yeah car 2, looks the best, I would not rule out car 1 just because he has no V5, if it is the more sound car, so long as he will give a recipt with the car, and its not recoreded stolen etc :thumleft:

TBH this is the one I would go for, its just round the corner from my sisters house, I looked it over the other day, all the rear arches etc look soild etc, did not drive it or look that closely. i know its a bit out of budget, but you could prob have a deal :thumleft:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1988-Toyota-MR2-T ... 240%3A1318
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

number 2 is the one for me. work it out you will get £100 for the wheels, £10 bonnet badge, £50-60 for a good wing thats just the start so its worth a punt. you may be lucky and pick up a real bargain. as it stands its got to be worth a couple of hunder even if its a dog. i`d give you £200 as a non runner if it all goes boobs.
is anyone near there who could have a look ?
the down side is the pictures are distant a few so no real idea of condition.
Rossyboy99

Post by Rossyboy99 »

nika that white one, you popped the link up about, you can even see the spray paint on the tyres from the quick fix, not my thing mate, stupid i am not that stupid.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

No need to be rude chap He was only offering advice. [-X

It may not have been sprayed when he saw it.
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

Out of all of them i would also go for number 2, white can look really great on a mk1 but obviously will show rust quicker than most other colours.
Mica Blue, i think that is the colour you are after can look stunning, just look at Jinxy's :D
Rossyboy99

Post by Rossyboy99 »

not meaning to appear rude tiny appreciate everyones help, but thats just more suspect to me than no log book, i think if i spend 300 on a car i have 500 to get it mot'd and taxed and all i want from it is a good smile from time to time.

fingers crossed
DevaMR2

Post by DevaMR2 »

Rossyboy99 wrote:, stupid i am not that stupid.

What?
Rossyboy99

Post by Rossyboy99 »

deva got a history of throwing myself head first into cars then suffering from them later etc.
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

Rossyboy99 wrote:not meaning to appear rude tiny appreciate everyones help, but thats just more suspect to me than no log book, i think if i spend 300 on a car i have 500 to get it mot'd and taxed and all i want from it is a good smile from time to time.

fingers crossed

Dude its a car for less than a grand, do you think any £300 Mr2 will not have seen dodgy paint at some point in its life? Equally a £300 that has not had some dodgy paint will end up with some :thumleft:

Just figured it might be better than a car the current owner has not MOT'd as it wont pass (that scares me), and has no service history, and has obviously been so well sprayed in the past the NSF front wing is a different paint code to the rest of the car (the other white one) ](*,) .

Any way good luck finding your motor chap
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I bought mine for £1700 in may 2007 - the one that I have asked about the value of. That was imaculate, except the rear arches were cracked and with 64k on clock.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”