[Mk2] [NA] Current Drain

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

si2040

[Mk2] [NA] Current Drain

Post by si2040 »

Hi Guys,

What is the current drain on an MR2. Currently I have a drain of 70mA which seems alot...
MR2 Night Fox
stu b 1 tubby

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Current Drain

Post by stu b 1 tubby »

Mine is draining a fully charged battery in 15mins :shock:
Alteran

Post by Alteran »

70m/a is way too much. A modern car with all it's technology is only around 40m/a. I don't know the exact figure but i would imagine it to be around 20 - 25m/a. You obviously have the equipment for checking a battery drain, start pulling fuses to see what circuit is causing your draw.

Liam.
si2040

Post by si2040 »

Well pulling fuses might not work as I've got lots of electrics in my car.. I found 35mA seems to be coming out of my stereo so think thats the problem the rest of the 35mA would be from my alarm etc which would seem normal I guess..
MR2 Night Fox
gtr2

Current Drain!

Post by gtr2 »

Hi,

I have a similiar problem. I have been through 3 batteries in the last 7 months ](*,) Starting to discover that it could be a faulty loom or the ECU on mine :pale:

I tested the current drain and found something a little weird. I disconected the Negative (-) terminal while the Posotive (+) was still on, put the meter to it, there was a fairly large spark and the meter showed i was losing half an Amp! :shock: but then suddenly within seconds it went down to 0.02-0.03 Amp. Which is normal as I didnt have anything running and dont have an alarm on the car anyway...

Any ideas guys as to why I got different readings within seconds. :-k
si2040

Post by si2040 »

You need to keep the ground on and take the reading from the postive disconnect it and then check...im finding 30m/A being taken from my 2din radio... ecu or wiring seems odd...did you try the relay in the rear fuse box in the engine area...
MR2 Night Fox

Return to “Electrical”