Apexi GT Exhausts - Are they too loud for the track?? Any help welcome!

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GTSMick

Apexi GT Exhausts - Are they too loud for the track?? Any help welcome!

Post by GTSMick »

As title,

I'm looking to buy an Apexi Gt exhaust for my MR2 turbo with the intention of using it on track days. However before i spend nearly £600 pounds on an exhaust i would be very interested to know whether they are anywhere near track legal (my car has stage 1 mods only ie filter, decat and boost increase etc)

Any help or info would be well appreciated!

Many thanks

Mick
Last edited by GTSMick on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil_turbo

Re: Apexi GT Exhausts - Are they too loud for the track?? Any help welcome!

Post by Neil_turbo »

I had one on my last turbo but never tracked it, it was very loud through.

It did come with a bung that may help

tommy-c

Post by tommy-c »

I have an Apexi GT on mine with a decat and it is very loud, im also looking to do some track action in the summer so would be interested in what people have to say about this.

Im going on the basis that its too loud for tracks enforcing db limits but dont take my word for it as i havnt had any testing done noise wise.
GTSMick

Post by GTSMick »

Most db limits on tracks in the UK are 98db and 105db (if i'm not mistaken :-k )

I'm just wondering how much difference using the bung would make? And more importantly how much power would be lost from using it in the first place ](*,)
Simarshy

Post by Simarshy »

After running a loud exhaust on my car for a few years, I'm convinced if you want to do a few trackdays just get a quiet exhaust, the odd 10-20bhp doesn't mean that much on the track and it's far better not having to worry about not passing.

Not saying Loud exhausts ain't a laugh on the street though ;)

Si
steve b

Post by steve b »

I had an Apexi Hayabusa on my old turbo 109db no way it was allowed on track without the bung. The bung however made it more restrictive than the stock exhaust and then it still only just scraped 98db. I sold it and got Haywad and Scott to build me an exhaust that flowed just as freely as the Apexi without bung but was only 96dB MUCH better :) was £528.
Last edited by steve b on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
GTSMick

Post by GTSMick »

I think we could have a solution! I'll give Hayward and Scott a call............ many thanks Steve :thumleft:
lockys96

Post by lockys96 »

GTSMick wrote:I think we could have a solution! I'll give Hayward and Scott a call............ many thanks Steve :thumleft:

i shouldnt comment on that :roll:
Harry

Post by Harry »

Perhaps I can. Saw it at ToyotaGT James'. Looked like it was design inspired from for a Ferrari - It looked like it was made to fill and occupy the last section of the under chassis.The quality and volume of material that they used along with the welding was very good indeed and gave the impression it was designed to last the life of the car.One small detail - did they realise it was meant to be used for track? It was too heavy! Perhaps double that of the HKS Superdrager - Yes. Curled it for a laugh.
TubbyTwo

Post by TubbyTwo »

i have one and yes its too loud for tracks.

which is why i have a mongoose as backup \:D/
2003 Leon Cupra R, stage 2 Jabbasport remap to 280bhp

MR2 now sold :(
steve b

Post by steve b »

Harry wrote:Perhaps I can. Saw it at ToyotaGT James'. Looked like it was design inspired from for a Ferrari - It looked like it was made to fill and occupy the last section of the under chassis.The quality and volume of material that they used along with the welding was very good indeed and gave the impression it was designed to last the life of the car.One small detail - did they realise it was meant to be used for track? It was too heavy! Perhaps double that of the HKS Superdrager - Yes. Curled it for a laugh.

Didn't think to get them to make you a single exit?
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
lockys96

Post by lockys96 »

it was single exit
steve b

Post by steve b »

lockys96 wrote:it was single exit

oh ok, from Harrys description it sounded like a twin or even quad pipe setup. aka Ferrari.

My Single exit from them was obviously heavier than the Hayabusa it replaced, but a small price to pay for being able to pass sound regs and not deafen you and flow really well. Also never needed any polishing etc and always looked like new.

Taylor

Post by Taylor »

lockys96 wrote:
GTSMick wrote:I think we could have a solution! I'll give Hayward and Scott a call............ many thanks Steve :thumleft:

i shouldnt comment on that :roll:

lol

and i think i remember why .... ](*,)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Don't risk it, it's bound to cause you issues. Remember just because an exhaust isn't loud does not mean it's going to necessarily impinge performance significantly.

Noise wise i'd aim to be under 98db@3/4revs 0.5m from the exhaust pipe measured from a 45 deg angle.

Why not go to: http://www.jpexhausts.co.uk and get one made up to your exact spec and requirements? ooh have a look at the gallery: http://www.jpexhausts.co.uk/Site/Gallery.htm

I've used them quite a bit, I simply would not go anywhere else. I would never consider buying an off the shelf system now.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

One other note on the bung -

I set my boost controller up with it in, however removed it for the Rolling road day, it then boosted higher and hit the limiter i had set which dropped the boost back down below stock. Ended up with a nice curvy boost line :? :-k

Either way if you change the flow of your exhaust constantly it will affect other things - including boost. i would go with an exhaust made to your requirements that you don't have to change all the time - if that makes sense!

:thumleft:

It was also very annoying at 6 in the morning !
craig_mr2_mk1

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

i have a 5Zigen exhaust on my car which is mega loud. I'm also looking to track my car next year and have a mongoose exhaust spare. Will the mongoose be quiet enough for tracks and what do they flow like??

Craig.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

craig_mr2_mk1 wrote:i have a 5Zigen exhaust on my car which is mega loud. I'm also looking to track my car next year and have a mongoose exhaust spare. Will the mongoose be quiet enough for tracks and what do they flow like??

Craig.

Probably though you'd need to test it ideally. If you think it sounds loud then chances are it will be too loud. As for flow don't worry about that it will work okay. A quieter exhaust does not necessarily mean it's restrictive.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

craig_mr2_mk1 wrote:i have a 5Zigen exhaust on my car which is mega loud. I'm also looking to track my car next year and have a mongoose exhaust spare. Will the mongoose be quiet enough for tracks and what do they flow like??

Craig.

The 5Zigen will almost definitely be too loud.
However your Mongoose should be absolutely fine for track usage.

:thumleft:
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Heh, the original design they had for the exhaust came from Myself and John Luck getting them to make them for our Turbos back in 2001 :

http://www.formesyn.com/mr2t/index.html ... d_upgrades

That has some sound clips - and certainly is fine for trackdays, 96dB and a good deep sound.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”