[Mk2] [Generic] Handling - whats best geometry & ride height wise?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

steve b

[Mk2] [Generic] Handling - whats best geometry & ride height wise?

Post by steve b »

Its something thats never really discussed on this forum which is odd.

On the 5 forum theres a whole sub forum dedicated to handling. Anyway with the 5 there are published optimal ride heights, various different geometry setups published for road, fast road, track, autocross etc It made sorting the cars handling really simple when I got it. It won't be long now before my 2 receives new suspension and a trip to Tony at WIM. I'm sure he'll advise on straight geometry but what about ride height? Whats the optimal height for the suspension to work most efficiently at, a centre of hub to edge of wheel arch figure is what i'm after as then I can set it to that height when I take it to Tony.

For example on the 5 too low (how most cars get set) results in decreased absolute grip and increased bump steer, travel on the rear shocks is also reduced and the car rides on bump stops making it crap on highly undulating cars. I think that follows on the MR2 but up front, my car at current height although looking cool regularly bottoms out front suspension with a big bang so obviously theres not enough travel left.

Coming to geometry what sort of amount of camber is best, caster angle etc. I've got Tein tension rods to enable this to be adjusted, full EZ camber bolts etc.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
HighwayStar

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Handling - whats best geometry & ride height wise?

Post by HighwayStar »

Do a search for Dinos geometry settings mate... they're often cited as the optimum and what I took to the alignment place for them to replicate when mine was done. I've been v v pleased with the results over the last 2yrs. The problem is that what you're asking... "what's best?" is personal preference, ride heights, camber, toe and castor. I like my car quite 'pointy' so thats how it's set up. The front never runs wide,I can always turn it in but the back can be quite lively and thats fine with me but may be loathsome to you. Maybe you prefer a bit more understeer first. Add in worn or tired suspension components, different wheels and tyres and probably no 2 cars will behave exactly the same anyway.
Best bet is go where you are... WIM should have a good initial set of settings then 'fine tune' based on your appraisal back.

R.
redmr89

Post by redmr89 »

hmmm i think the problem with this question. is how you use the car. and where. on a flat track the lower and stiffer the better, on our xxxx roads you need to take acount for the pot holes and bad tarmac, so some suspention travel is needed, my car is low and on hard suspention. and i feal every bump and hole , on corners if its not flat im thrown of a bit, its your decision. you dont want track kit on the road. but you want better than standard.
steve b

Post by steve b »

Low isn't always best even on a very flat track, i.e. my example with the mx5 below a certain height, i think its when tie rods go past horizontal then mechanical grip is reduced even though the cars centre of gravity is lower. I'd be suprised if theres not a similar point with the mr2, has anyone researched it? There must be some dedicated track day / racer who has altered their coilovers 5mm at a time to see whats whats fastest where most grip is generated etc.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
steve b

Post by steve b »

Just had a reply from Tony, apparently the mx5 height ideal height is known as mazda publish geometric tables, Toyota hasn't published such tables so its got to be guess work and testing. :(

HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Yeah thats what I was trying to say (poorly obviously). WIM I'm sure will start at certain settings then adjust based on your feedback from your own experience of your car. There is a setting combo frequently cited as producing good results from a guy named Dino somewhere which could be a good start point. I haven't varied from it and am v. satisfied. Perhaps a search might find it if not I'll see if I can find and scan my paper copy.

R.
steve b

Post by steve b »

yeah, Tony suggested setting height to something high enough to make sure ant suspension related componest, wishbones, tension rods, steering rods are above horizontal and taking it from there. Its just a bit of an ar$e, although i'm only 40 miles away and he does adjustments for free I'd prefer not to have to make repeat visits. There must be an optimal, for a start describing how my car behaves he agrees its far to low. So now basically i'm going to get some tein super streets on it and raise it maybe 15mm all round and then get him to set it up and see.

I just like others to have done the work :)

Literally buy an mx5 and go on the forum and say I want track setup and you'll get x.x inches hub centre to arch, and then all camber, caster & toe settings advised as to what the last 15 years of autocross / racing has found is best. It'd be nice if the mr2 had that data. Same for fast road, normal day to day useage etc.

Too low for optimal handling, (I belive a 40mm drop on fensport progressive springs) :-

Moo

Post by Moo »

I've used Dino's settings for years. They give a very stable ride and would be a good starting point as suggested already. Here are the settings :thumleft:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... light=dino
Poohbear

Post by Poohbear »

I would say that optimum ride height would be where the lower arms front and rear are either horizontal or hub end slightly lower than inner end. if you lower your car then obviously the hub end becomes higher than the inner mounting affecting the roll center. What you need to then fit are what are called 'Roll Center Spacers'. These fit between the balljoint mounting plate and the hub to move the hub end of the lower arm back down again, so if you lower your car 25mm then you need 25mm roll center spacers, if that makes sense.

Edit: Disclaimer...I'm not a suspension expert this is just my opinion from what I've read over the years :D

Bob
I'm Going To Die Young...But When I'm Very Very Old!
Freebird

Post by Freebird »

Hey Steve I'm after the same thing but not found anything other that Dino's. I'm after track preferred caster particularly but nothing, I think Dino’s setting just show stock caster from what I remember.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I think you're going to have to accept the repeat trips to WIM. Doesn't seem a lot of effort to me considering the results you want.....

Ooops, scrap that. Maybe NZ to Chesham is a little far! Responded to the wrong post...

Return to “Modifications”