[Mk2] [Turbo] Anyone with a tubby with a mongoose exhaust?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

David21

[Mk2] [Turbo] Anyone with a tubby with a mongoose exhaust?

Post by David21 »

Hi, I'm currently looking to replace my single exit apexi gt exhaust for something with a bit more noise to it.

I have seen a mongoose twin exit with flexi for sale which is described as really good condition and its cheap so i'm very tempted to get it.

Does anyone have a sound clip or can describe what a mongoose exhaust (de-catted) sounds like on a tubby?

I want to get an exhaust thats not too noisy on motorways and has a nice burble to it. It's whether i wait and save up a little more for a berk technology one or get this for now.

Please help me decide!

:D
^Trickster^

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Anyone with a tubby with a mongoose exhaust?

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I have had one for 5 years since I bought it new.

I love it personally, is not that loud tho, its loud enough and noticable, but doesnt drone your ears out.

If you want to make loads of noise, its not the exhaust for you.

Graeme
David21

Post by David21 »

Thanks for the reply. Thats what i want really something not too noisy but noticeable as you mention.

Does it give a nice burble noise like some other exhausts ive heard on there tubbys?
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I think it does yeh, I really like the exhaust, enoguh to never change it in all this time anyway

Graeme
PFrazier

Post by PFrazier »

I have a completely different view of the mongoose.
The one I had droned extremely. I couldn't stand to drive the car, it hurt my ears/head so much. It wasn't very loud, but the resonance that it produced was terrible. I switched to a Berk exhaust and wouldn't use anything else on a turbo.
I don't care for loud exhausts, the Berk is just about perfect for me.
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Depends if you decat or not in my experience - mine didnt get the "motorway drone" as already mentioned on this thread until I decatted the system. on idle it does have a nice sound its not overly loud but will (and I guess this is the resonance bit thats again has already been mentioned) set off the alarm on the car parked behind it. I like the exhaust and have got used to the "drone" on long journeys BUT I will admit it can be a bit wearing at times.
David21

Post by David21 »

Thanks for the info. Mine will be having a decat on it. The droney noise is something i definatly want to avoid.

I want something that gives a nice note on idle and gets louder the harder i drive/higher revs.

I'm starting to think maybe i should just save up a little more for the berk as i have heard nothing but good reviews. where as the mongoose seems to have mixed opinions.
Mattc1981

Post by Mattc1981 »

Hi David

If you want you can drop me a PM with your number and I can call let you know what it sounds like ie driving around or some thing similar . I admit that it does sound a bit droney at 70mph only. Over and below that and its fine :thumleft: :thumleft: Have driven it for 8hours solid back to when my folks live (scotland) and it was fine

Not a fan of ridiculous sounding exhausts either but you want to hear it if you get on the loud pedal which you certainly can here

I currently have a cat but will be decating as soon as I can be ar$ed

Cheers

Matt
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

I have a 5zigen border fireball exhaust now that is loud beautifully burbly on idle and at cruise on motorways strangely quiet

but nail that throttle,windows rattle, dogs howl 10 miles away, kittens explode, and old people die! :twisted:

currently off the car and probably going to sell it as i have found out that the box that i thought was stock with extra tips welded on is infact a HKS sport exhaust and fecking awesome with internal pressure valves that open at certain revs and the sound performance.
PFrazier

Post by PFrazier »

slipping clutch wrote:Depends if you decat or not in my experience - mine didnt get the "motorway drone" as already mentioned on this thread until I decatted the system. on idle it does have a nice sound its not overly loud but will (and I guess this is the resonance bit thats again has already been mentioned) set off the alarm on the car parked behind it. I like the exhaust and have got used to the "drone" on long journeys BUT I will admit it can be a bit wearing at times.

Mine droned with the cat still in place.
Moo

Post by Moo »

Same as Mattc1981 says, mine does drone a little at 70mph but over and under that is fine. Even at 70mph it doesn't drone to the point of being unbearable. It has a nice throaty burble on tickover and sounds great on full chat.

I'm only just down the road from you and you're welcome to come over and check mine out if you want to experience the sound of a Mongoose on a decatted tubby first hand before buying :thumleft:
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

I have the Blitz Nur spec R people have commented that they can here the car coming from quite a distance! i love the look of it though and would only swap to a 5Zigen miracle fireball like Tiny has mentioned above. 4"single exit jap cans rock 8)

I did look at the mongoose before i got the Nur spec but i was adamant that the look i wanted had to be JDM so it was Blitz or 5Zigen
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

David21 wrote:Hi, I'm currently looking to replace my single exit apexi gt exhaust for something with a bit more noise to it.

I have seen a mongoose twin exit with flexi for sale which is described as really good condition and its cheap so i'm very tempted to get it.

Does anyone have a sound clip or can describe what a mongoose exhaust (de-catted) sounds like on a tubby?

I want to get an exhaust thats not too noisy on motorways and has a nice burble to it. It's whether i wait and save up a little more for a berk technology one or get this for now.

Please help me decide!

i have a mongoose, not decatted yet, i drove from dundee to clacton on sea (500+miles??)and it didn't get annoying, sounds great on full chat but not too loud when drivinh normally, although i might say differnt when my decat is on. really nice exhaust, i'll get you a sound clip as soon as, will prob just be a link to youtube though lol :thumleft:

edit, it does set off the odd car alarm, it's far from quiet, just not as loud as some.
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

Yep, had one on my tubby before changing it to a Berk.

Flipping annoying to be honest. Very boomy and resonates in the cabin, especially at motorway cruising speed. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Olly P wrote:Yep, had one on my tubby before changing it to a Berk.

Flipping annoying to be honest. Very boomy and resonates in the cabin, especially at motorway cruising speed. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

i don't get that at all, but i don't have a decat pipe on yet, how much difference will this make to the noise???
mcoppen

Post by mcoppen »

I Have one on mine, decatted, and i love it. But i will argee it does drone a little, but not to badly. Its really nice and quiet when low speed crusing around town, but responds really nicely when you open it up. I would highly recommend it.
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Buy this quick - before some one else snaps it up !
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=107662
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

slipping clutch wrote:Buy this quick - before some one else snaps it up !
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=107662

Yeah absolute bargain mate :thumleft: i paid £538 for mine new, that exhaust is practically brand new! bout the same price as a mongoose system now, but 10 times better
toyokid

Mongoosed

Post by toyokid »

Hi

Not sure whether they are quite the same!!
But I had a Mongoose on my Celica GT4 and found it to be quiet initially but after 4 years or so that the baffles broke down and she became very noisy with resonance and I struggled to get flanges to seal.
So if buying one I would recommend get new.

Now running Blitz and the quality is much better and noise is not much if any louder.

Stephen
mishadbull

Post by mishadbull »

Ive got one sitting in my garage if ya wanna give it a try. . .

I found it quite droney around 70 but I had a decat and polly engine mounts too.

Lemme know!

Mike

Return to “Modifications”