semi custom exhuast

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

crazybrightman

semi custom exhuast

Post by crazybrightman »

a while back i bought a corolla fwd obx tubular manifold from the states for a very reasonable sum. my aim was to make a full exhaust system to meet the strick 98dba noise regs of most circuits that my original system failed at 104dba! it also lost performance after burning the baffles out, so an improvement needed to be made. i had to tweak the centre pipe slightly as it had been welded wrong and hit the sump and im sure the corolla one isnt different! i then looked at making a custom manifold back system. my problem was finding a silencer large enough to fit under the back of the car, keep the system a decent length and get the sound down without creating a restriction. well the easiest option was a second hand mongoose back box that was about 2 months old and only £65 :mrgreen:
i then made a centre section up to join the it all together using custom exhaust parts and had what i think is a very tidy system. a support bracket was made to to fit the orginal and reduce he chance of the manifold breaking or cracking.
it was then tested around a very wet donny and sounded fantastic without being too noisy. the performance bellow abut 5000rpm was hardly changed but when up above this figure it would pull very hard showing an indicated 115mph down the back straight in the rain!
im sure with a set of cams it would realy bring out some great performance, and a set of itb's would make complete it very nicely.
overall this system has cost me less than a manifold back mongoose exhaust so really has been good value for money as ive sold it on for what i paid for it :lol:
next will be a custom 2.5" system for the turbo engine when i have it 8)

4agte on the way
crazylegs

Re: semi custom exhuast

Post by crazylegs »

looks the nuts. nice job :clap:
phil mk1

Post by phil mk1 »

can you remember the company in the states where you got the manifold if so could you post it on here as i would like one it looks great .
cheers phil.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Phil,
One possible source is Stan's Headers in the 'States:
http://www.stans-headers.com/toyota_headers.htm
However I've not seen any of their manifolds in person, just seen them discussed before on another MR2 forum.
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

i got my header off ebay.com teh same as this one ...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-Exha ... 0090259329

can't remember who i bought mine off though as its not listed in my ebay history anymore. but remember you will have to modify your exhaust to make it fit!
4agte on the way
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

I always thought that the manifolds on the Corollas were too big due to the location of the firewall on the '2? (and the extra space in the 'rolla engine bay up front) Did you have any problems with this?

And where did you get the extra bits of piping you needed - and flexi - from? I've been looking at getting the stuff I need from Jetex.co.uk (IIRC) but if you have a better source, that'd be quite useful!
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

nope it clears by miles doesnt stick out much further than the orginal manifold tbh. the pipe is all jetex stuff as teh quality can usualy be relied upon. i got my order from merlin motorsports as they always deliver the quickest and i was in a rush. i made this exhaust the evening before a trackday! :shock: if you use demon tweeks you can get 10% imoc discount i believe? but they dont have all the bits in stock sometimes.
4agte on the way

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”