[Mk2] [Turbo] Can anyone recommend a quiet exhaust for a turbo?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

davidmit

[Mk2] [Turbo] Can anyone recommend a quiet exhaust for a turbo?

Post by davidmit »

Hi all,

I've just got my first MR2 turbo and I'm loving it, I bought PCDOCS blue one which has had a few modifications. However the exhaust is not exactly descrete. Its a Revision6 Stainless Steel Exhaust from rogue which has twin 4.5" exits 8-[

Can somebody recommend an exhaust that still looks nice but is as quiet as possible? I'd rather have the street sleeper rather than in your face.

Cheers

EDIT: I found a thread using google to search the forum. Dont know why it never worked using the forum search. Ignore this please
Marf

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Can anyone recommend a quiet exhaust for a turbo?

Post by Marf »

I have a Fujitsubo RM01A and its almost silent at idle but makes a nice but not loud noise on boost through the revs.
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

Loud is the only way to do it!
stevegts

Post by stevegts »

mongoose, nice and deep at low revs and pretty quiet throughout the rev range, very well made and subtle looking
Sharpey

Post by Sharpey »

Berk :) :) :)
LiamTye

Post by LiamTye »

fujitsubo legasis r is the way forward mate,had one before and very quite and very well made,check my garage for pictures
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Marf wrote:I have a Fujitsubo RM01A and its almost silent at idle but makes a nice but not loud noise on boost through the revs.

I've got an RM01A and had it with and without CAT in place. It is not even close to being as quiet as a Legalis R, HKS "Turbo", or stock exhaust, especially with a de-cat :twisted: Sounds great, though and idling with decat is pretty loud (not in Nur Spec territory, though) 8)

The other option would be a custom job from Hayward & Scott - you could have it sound how you like then. Not cheap, mind!
cosmos

Zorst

Post by cosmos »

Toyota fitted a TRD exhaust as standard to Rev 5 cars, looks good sounds good without being in your face with two 4" exits. Check Demon Tweeks perhaps forget Powerflow there guarantee is designed to be got out of with bulsh-t annual inspections and there stuff is only as good as the fitter on the day standards vary be warned..
Marf

Post by Marf »

mattcambs wrote:
Marf wrote:I have a Fujitsubo RM01A and its almost silent at idle but makes a nice but not loud noise on boost through the revs.

I've got an RM01A and had it with and without CAT in place. It is not even close to being as quiet as a Legalis R, HKS "Turbo", or stock exhaust, especially with a de-cat :twisted: Sounds great, though and idling with decat is pretty loud (not in Nur Spec territory, though) 8)

The other option would be a custom job from Hayward & Scott - you could have it sound how you like then. Not cheap, mind!

How much louder did the de-cat make it? I'm looking at fitting the Berk de-cat shortly.
fastgrant74

Post by fastgrant74 »

Bit shameless, but have posted up my Tanabe for sale on the OC, which is quiet.

Almost stock quiet to be honest due to the size of the silencer, but much faster flowing than normal.

Instead I have fitted a Motoria, but wasnt quite ready for the difference in volume!

And decats do make quite a difference in noise
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Marf wrote:
mattcambs wrote:

How much louder did the de-cat make it? I'm looking at fitting the Berk de-cat shortly.

Hi mate :D Probably about 20% louder. The note at idle and low revs is awesome. Main benefit of course is the quicker turbo spool :thumleft:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Cool thanks, not too much louder then 8)
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Marf wrote:Cool thanks, not too much louder then 8)

No, it's a nice upgrade 8)

Back on topic: I forgot to mention the HKS Silent Hi-Power. Chr15py has one - uber rare, fully stainless and very quiet
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

Is the berk actually a quiet exhaust?
Watashi wa Ant desu, BAKA!!!
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

The NUR spec R by Blitz:

Quiet it aint, but looks the best IMHO :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

I had a HKS Turbo on my old '2. Quietest exhaust I've had.

Also, Apexi Super megaphone is supposed to be quiet too.
jimboy01

Post by jimboy01 »

I've also got the Fulitsubo Legasis R on my rev 3 tubby.

It's near standard sound but a little deeper, looks good to

Highly recommended but hard to get hold of as most have come over on cars from Japan.

Took me a good couple of months to get a second hand one but well worth the wait.

Return to “Modifications”