pass side window lock-button? why?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bobbyh

pass side window lock-button? why?

Post by bobbyh »

what is the reason for the fitment? some safety thing!?

accidentally pressed mine not long into ownership. spent a month drivin round with a duct-taped up window.. thought the motor had died.
then pulled the whole door apart trying to fit a new motor, till the very helpfull Jinxy technical helpline suggested it was probably this switch as the motors never fail!

cheers Jinxy btw, nice bit of lateral thinking..
un1eash

Re: pass side window lock-button? why?

Post by un1eash »

Lol, have to laugh at that. :thumleft:

Its like the lock you get in 4 door cars for the rears. Some child safety feature i reakon. Only good thing ive found it for is annoying the girlfriend.
NDR008

Post by NDR008 »

I find it quite useful. Sometimes I want both my windows open or windows closed and don't want the passenger to have control over the window position.

Other reason I find for it is to stop people from playing with my window.
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

Funny story!
pretty daft how it disables the drivers side switch though!
probably cheaper to wire it like that.

1987 Mk1.5, CT20b, LSD, Chargecooled, 260...290bhp (est)
2003 330ci M-sport
1995 Polo 1.3CL
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Well at least you have a spare motor now :lol: ( the one I sold you lol :oops: )
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

bobbyh wrote:what is the reason for the fitment? some safety thing!?

accidentally pressed mine not long into ownership. spent a month drivin round with a duct-taped up window.. thought the motor had died.
then pulled the whole door apart trying to fit a new motor, till the very helpfull Jinxy technical helpline suggested it was probably this switch as the motors never fail!

cheers Jinxy btw, nice bit of lateral thinking..

Only too glad to be of assistance :thumleft: .... dont forget.... mines a pint of Magners next time i see you :mrgreen: .
Ok, some more puzzling questions for you annoraks .

1/ why is the fog light switch not illuminated when the dash lights are on, but the heated rear window is ?

2/ What is the second position on the headlight switch for on mk1b's ?

3/ Why is it that S/C washer bottles are smaller than N/A's ?

4/ Why are S/C aerials longer than N/A's ?

I personally would love to know :thumleft: Jinxy
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

Doesn't it quite clearly say "WINDOW LOCK" on the button?

Mine says something like that. :whistle:
Tony jinxy froude

BIGBOBO wrote:Doesn't it quite clearly say "WINDOW LOCK" on the button?

Only if the white writing is still on there, otherwise its just a square black button :oldtongue: :mrgreen: , Jinx
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

BIGBOBO wrote:Doesn't it quite clearly say "WINDOW LOCK" on the button?

if you take the button out and clean it there is also a bright orange portion around the bottom to show whether it is on or off

my first car was listed as having a passenger window motor fault when I bought it, as I drove off from picking it up I lowered the window to wave goodbye to the seller & was asked how did you fix the window? pushed the lock button mate! was my reply :lol:
jimi

Post by jimi »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:
Ok, some more puzzling questions for you annoraks .

1/ why is the fog light switch not illuminated when the dash lights are on, but the heated rear window is ?

2/ What is the second position on the headlight switch for on mk1b's ?

3/ Why is it that S/C washer bottles are smaller than N/A's ?

4/ Why are S/C aerials longer than N/A's ?

I personally would love to know :thumleft: Jinxy

1/ It doesn't have a lamp or holder in it to illuminate it when the dash lights are on, the heated rear screen does. With a bit of thought you can illuminate it, mine is :D
2/ The 1a and 1b have different behaviour due to the 1b having dim/dip
1a switch position
1st click sidelights only, headlights stay off and down
2nd click sidelights on, headlights up and on

1b switch position
1st click sidelights on, headlights up and on dim/dip
2nd click sidelights and headlights up and on as normal

They also react differently when you flash the headlights with the headlight switch on the 1st position
1b behaviour can be easily modified, have a look on my website :wink:
Can't help you with the other 2
Jimi
Tony jinxy froude

:mrgreen: Jimi, i knew about all those, but my question was simply..... Why they did it ? :mrgreen: , Jinx
jimi

Post by jimi »

The headlight thing was to comply with UK legislation on dim/dip lamps
Dim-Dip Lamps (UK Only)

UK regulations briefly required vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1987 to be equipped with a dim-dip device[17] or special running lamps, except such vehicles as comply fully with ECE Regulation 48 regarding installation of lighting equipment. A dim-dip device operates the low beam headlamps (called "dipped beam" in the UK) at between 10% and 20% of normal low-beam intensity. The running lamps permitted as an alternative to dim-dip were required to emit at least 200 candelas straight ahead, and no more than 800 candelas in any direction. In practise, most vehicles were equipped with the dim-dip option rather than the running lamps.

The dim-dip systems were not intended for daytime use as DRLs. Rather, they operated if the engine was running and the driver switched on the parking lamps (called "sidelights" in the UK). Dim-dip was intended to provide a nighttime "town beam" with intensity between that of parking lamps (commonly used by British drivers in city traffic after dark) and dipped/low beams, because the former were considered insufficiently intense to provide improved conspicuity in conditions requiring it, while the latter were considered too glaring for safe use in built-up areas. The UK was the only country to use such dim-dip systems.

In 1988, the European Commission successfully prosecuted the UK government in the European Court of Justice, arguing that the UK requirement for dim-dip was illegal under EC directives prohibiting member states from enacting vehicle lighting requirements not contained in pan-European EC directives. As a result, the UK requirement for dim-dip was quashed. Nevertheless, dim-dip was (and is) still permitted, and while such systems are not presently as common as they once were, dim-dip functionality was fitted on many new cars well into the 1990s.

I've no idea why they didn't illuminate the switch, seems strange, then again the rear fog light is a UK thing as well so may have been an after thought.
Tony jinxy froude

:clap: :thumleft: thanks for the write up there Jimi, there was certainly some things in there i didnt know :thumleft: , as for the dash light thing always amuses me, it seems strange they didnt illuminate it :shock: & ballance the dash up, all this from a country who invented Feng Shui :mrgreen: Jinx
jimi

Post by jimi »

:oops: I didn't write it , in fact I learned something by looking for it. I always thought it was a Euro law, didn't realise it was a UK thing and I didn't know it wasn't required any more.
As for the dash lighting I agree, makes it look unbalanced, that why I changed mine :wink:
If you have a spare heated screen switch and the plug for it, all you need to do is cut the existing plug off the Foglight and replace it with the one from the screen switch add an extra wire from the dash lighting, use the screen switch instead of the foglight one (they are the same apart from the dash light) and swop the little legend plate over ( it pushes out from the rear easily)
If anyone is interested I could do a write up with pics ?
The other thing that struck me as odd is why didn't they back light the headlight and wiper switches :? (another little mod I did :oops: )
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Tony jinxy froude wrote::clap: :thumleft: thanks for the write up there Jimi, there was certainly some things in there i didnt know :thumleft: , as for the dash light thing always amuses me, it seems strange they didnt illuminate it :shock: & ballance the dash up, all this from a country who invented Feng Shui :mrgreen: Jinx

requirement is only for an "ON" warning light though and there is one in the dash
jimi

Post by jimi »

We weren't talking about the warning light, there's one on the dash and the switch lights up when it's on.
We were referring to the lack of back lighting when the switch is off and the dash lights are on :wink:
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

jimi wrote:We weren't talking about the warning light, there's one on the dash and the switch lights up when it's on.
We were referring to the lack of back lighting when the switch is off and the dash lights are on :wink:

yes I'm aware of that
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Wonderd what that button did since it make no difference to my windows if its on or off on my Mk1. :oops:
Xhermes

Post by Xhermes »

jimi wrote:
If anyone is interested I could do a write up with pics ?

Yes please! :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”