[Mk2] [Turbo] Mileage on MK2 Turbo..

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2nut123

[Mk2] [Turbo] Mileage on MK2 Turbo..

Post by mr2nut123 »

So guys, what mileage are we all on? I'm currently on 108,000miles. It has been totally bog standard for 75,000miles of its life and treat like a 2nd wife. I have recently modified the car to around 280-290bhp and have been running at this for the last year or so. 16.5psi on a ct20 with intercooler, induction kit, downpipe and exhaust so all mods are there to safely support the boost increase, right? Do you think there's plenty of years left in her or would it be better to sell up and buy a rev4-rev5?

At this kind of mileage, what would be the first things that would tend to go? I'm fairly sure the bodywork has another 10 years left in it as it's in great condition, far better than most rev3 cars that I have seen and has had a new respray quite recently with no signs of surface rust. I just keep thinking that I should get a newer car but as this has great previous history I don't think i'd like to risk it with another car. My only problem is the engine, bodywork can be sorted next to nothing.

Opinions?
mattcambs

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Mileage on MK2 Turbo..

Post by mattcambs »

Your engine is young! At 250k miles I'd be thinking about a re-build.

I suppose like any car you could get unlucky with ancillaries - fuel pump might be on its last legs, turbo might be past it's best and the actuator a bit worn, alternator might pack in.

A good mate of mine and fellow IMOCer recently had his rev3 engine go. Basically piston 3 fell apart! There was no signs of det at all. He ran his car with the same mods as you for over a year with no problems. However, after a Link G3 install the piston gave in after approx 3 weeks. The engine was probably making about 30 - 40 more bhp with the Link. Like I said, no det, just increased duty on the engine.

From how you've described your car, I'd say you'd be mad to sell it :thumleft: :D
craig

Post by craig »

rev 3 GTS - 80000 miles :thumleft:
spannerman

Post by spannerman »

My Rev 3 Tubby is on 135'000 miles, the last 30'000 was running 1.2 bar on the CT20, charge cooled and Link G3, late 200's BHP.

Touch wood all is fine and should be for much longer.

In theory if engines are looked after enough they should last a very long time. I've heard of Toyota's doing 250'000 miles and all continued to run fine.

Might be straying off topic a little here but Big End failure appears to be a common engine killer. In theory the Big ends never make contact with the crank due to oil pressure maintaining the clearance. So the question is how can they wear and begin knocking.

There are a few answers, abuse, lack of maintenance to mention 2.

If oil changes aren't kept up to or the incorrect grade of oil used the oil can break down causing a lack of protection. This in turn will accelerate wear in components such as the oil pump resulting in less oil pressure to protect items such as the big ends. This then become a vicious circle until the something lets go, usually the big ends.

I've read many Big end failure posts on here and people seem to just replace them. I'd be asking myself, "what was the root cause of the failure?" as not sorting this would surely be asking the problem to return.

Apologies for the waffle :oops:

Spannerman
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

I can understand his thoughts. Mine has just come up to 90k miles and I've been wondering how much life the mechanical parts have left, it seems to drive nice and tight but you just never know. Turbo's don't really have an easy life.

I think generally the rev 3+ engines are pretty robust if looked after but there's always going to be an increased risk of wear when running higher than stock power, hence I've left my boost level alone.

The car can have great history which is reassuring but there is still an element of luck. Some may go well past 200k miles but others can pack up before 100k.
chirlie

Post by chirlie »

I have a rev2 tubby at 78k mostly standrd apart from boost, oil temp and oil press gauges and apexi induction .mines feels abit ruff with a slite lumpyness but think its my plugs .so will maybe get a rebuild to as i luv the 2 more thn the wife lol
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

Mattcambs is talking about me. My car had 68k miles on it and ran "safe" mods. Thing is, you don't know how the car was treated in Japan as you're not the only history of the car. I used good oil, changed every 3k miles etc. Basically when rogue took mine apart, all pistons are clean - no det at all and all componants are in good nick apart from piston 3. Both ringlands have failed almost 1/2 of the way around the piston in the same place. At some point, the previous owner may have though 1.x bar was a great idea before he sold it and the damage was done then.

Fact is, you tune your car you increase the chance it can go pop. I know someone in Brampton has a rev2 turbo with 147k miles and doesn't miss a beat.
Sounds like engine milages can be a bit of a lottery...
Chris
Mr Rapey Banana WILL get you...oh yes! :)
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Yeah true, I always said I'd never touch the boost on mine and I haven't (as yet anyway) and it doesn't look like it's been messed with.

Extra power means there's not only more stress on the engine but all other parts aswell and you'll lose fuel economy. If you can afford a rebuild if the worst happens then fine.
Pete_MR2

Post by Pete_MR2 »

I wouldn't complicate things mate, at the end of the day it's a machine!!

All this... it might do this and it's a lottery on that is rubbish! If the car has been well looked after it should last you as long as you want it too!

If you've modded the car in any way expect things to wear quicker and need to be replaced! If you've drove the car like you've stolen it expect components to wear quickly and therefore will also need to be replaced in time!

I do respect the fact that you're running a tubbie as a day to day motor mind.. Wow there expensive on fuel :)

Cheers

Pete.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Rev3 GT-S - 58k ;) I think you'll be fine, but as has been pointed out it is a bit of a lottery as you never know the car's history. That said, nothing beats regular servicing.
Rhiannan

Post by Rhiannan »

My Rev 3 GT-S has 82k miles :D and is as fresh as a daisy........a very fast daisy........ :-k
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

i had 120k on my old rev1. The hg went not long after I sold her, a friend bought her back off the person i sold her to and replaced the head gasket along with a few other bits. She is still running today about 5 years after I originally sold her. The bottom end was never touched and looked in good condition.
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

my rev3 gts:

mileage is about 85,000 miles.

I buought it as a heavy smoker, and rebuilt it straight away at 60,000 miles. Was due to ringland failure on piston 3 (front and back ringlands cracked between top 2 rings and some damage on cylinder 4.

at the same time I switched oil and water pumps, bottom ends (which were fine) and polished crank etc.

the turbo seals were also refurbed at the same time, although smoke was as much down to the ringlands.

it needed a new clutch at 75,000 miles as the old one was getting ropey. I'd never tracked or dragged it, so it must be my dodgy driving style. the clutch seals also went between the engine build and clutch.

bodywork - no probs whatsoever. any rust from stone chips has been sorted, and Toyota put some effort into making these cars last

coolant - no probs. will probably need a flush by now though

electrics / interior - no probs, although I suspect leather wears faster than cloth!

what is a constant war of attrition for me is the suspension and running gear: ball joints, drop links, shocks, bushes etc - trying to eliminate squeaks has resulted in me replacing most of these.

to summarise posts on here, some preventative maintenance will do wonders, but if it's going to go, it will go.

easy enough to source parts though.

hth

Ian
paul port

Post by paul port »

Rev3-M GT-Tbar 255,000 Km (~158,000 Miles)
CT20 ~ 16psi, Intercooler, Rogue Fans

Still on Original Turbo and Clutch as far as I'm aware...
And I've been driving it for 8.5 Years / since 40K miles

Paul.
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Paul, that is pretty impressive if it's still on original turbo and engine. I bet the clutch has been changed though. Good to know they can last if looked after :thumleft:
paul port

Post by paul port »

dawolf wrote:Paul, that is pretty impressive if it's still on original turbo and engine. I bet the clutch has been changed though. Good to know they can last if looked after :thumleft:

Well if it has... then it was done in Japan before I imported it... and I've put 118,000 miles on it since :mrgreen:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Paul, which intercooler do you use, out of interest? Slightly off-topic, but I guess running cooler charge temps with less restriction makes life easier on the turbo and keeps knock down to a minimum.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

paul port wrote:
dawolf wrote:Paul, that is pretty impressive if it's still on original turbo and engine. I bet the clutch has been changed though. Good to know they can last if looked after :thumleft:

Well if it has... then it was done in Japan before I imported it... and I've put 118,000 miles on it since :mrgreen:

Agreed, thats some good going matey
MrGazz2

Post by MrGazz2 »

Sounds like paul port should be giving us some driving lessons then if his clutch has lasted that long!!! Impressive stuff.
bazippy

Post by bazippy »

My 1992 turbo has 59k on the clock and only 2000 of them were in miles,all original parts and only recently had to change the original factory alternator belt!
should i add more boost,a dilema im thinking about at moment!?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”