[All] [Generic] welding up sunroof

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2D2

[All] [Generic] welding up sunroof

Post by MR2D2 »

as in title if you didnt like the look of having a sunroof could you just remove the glass etc and weld a panel in or would it distort the roof?
'dyslexic man walks into a bra'
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: [All] [Generic] welding up sunroof

Post by Martin F »

MR2D2 wrote:as in title if you didnt like the look of having a sunroof could you just remove the glass etc and weld a panel in or would it distort the roof?

you could do it but you need to know what your doing and get the right metal / materials..

seen it done before and afterwards you could never tell... :thumleft:
MR2D2

Post by MR2D2 »

:) well ive got a few mates and a reli who are handy with a welder so il get them to give it a go ... im respraying the car anyways so im not fussed about the inconvinience
bolton

Post by bolton »

it will distort you will need to be good at filler too!!1
CM1GT

Post by CM1GT »

i've thought about doing this, but would miss the sunroof, does anybody know if anyone makes a fiberglass or metal replacement panel to remove the horid blue glass?
MR2D2

Post by MR2D2 »

ah i am gifted when it comes to filler \:D/
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

why would you want to remove and fill in the sunroof?
fearless

Post by fearless »

i think ive heard it said tin tops are more rigid and a better drive handling is improved, other option is to cut a roof off a tin top and weld on no need for filler then, in saying that trying to get a roof off a tin top out of the scrappy would be hard as thay are quite rare if i recall, done properly i cant see it being a problem :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
MR2D2

Post by MR2D2 »

Dale_V wrote:why would you want to remove and fill in the sunroof?

i dont like the look of sunroofs :eye: ... needed a shell for my v6 conversion and wanted a tin top but obviously you can only get import tin tops and i wanted a uk car due to insurance so i thought id get a sunroof model and convert it to tin top :mrgreen:
steve b

Post by steve b »

MR2D2 wrote:
Dale_V wrote:why would you want to remove and fill in the sunroof?

i dont like the look of sunroofs :eye: ... needed a shell for my v6 conversion and wanted a tin top but obviously you can only get import tin tops and i wanted a uk car due to insurance so i thought id get a sunroof model and convert it to tin top :mrgreen:

I'd be suprised if an import V6 attracted any more insurance than a V6 uk conversion. I know for fact my uk turbo conversion car was more to insure than a straight JDM turbo.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
MR2D2

Post by MR2D2 »

im insured with HIC (who i like coz with tpft they let me drive anyones cars which is handy for my driving my girlfriends car and my old mans van) and they dont do imports for people under 25 ... and i am 8)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”