Can anyone help me with identifying an elise??

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Munnsy

Can anyone help me with identifying an elise??

Post by Munnsy »

Had a little play with a little elise today, jet black with yellow stripes right through the centre of the car, sounded absolutely amazing, really throaty,
going down the local carriagway and performance wise very similar indeed, i did make a bit of ground but really surprised to the performance of the lotus.
Just wondering if anyone has the stats, ill try and get a pick up :mrgreen:

http://www.nutleysports.co.uk/s-Elise111R-Black1.jpg

looked similar to this but had the yellow stripes through it :-k
anyone got any figures, power to weight etc etc
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: Can anyone help me with identifying an elise??

Post by Martin F »

figures tend to be quite low due to their lightness, get your car modded and you should be able to blow them quite easily, hope you have a few grand to spare though, like 5k :lol: :lol: , just for top of the range one's :wink:
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

haha to be honest i think this was a top of the range, looked very similar to the exige but without the rear vented panel, guy was in a suite and could blatently see me behind him before we entered the dual carriageway, the exhaust note was amazing sounded really raspy he dropped it down a gear and we were off, like i said there was only a car length between us to begin with, i made some ground but was amazed really how quick this thing was.
The car looked great but the guy afterwards seemed a little dissapointed.
Not sure how i should feel though as like you said, figures are low but power to weight you can see why these things are nimble little cars
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

I would say it was the 111r, that has the 190bhp toyota engine in it and a nice close box. They are fast cars. Tubby would have the power to keep pulling where the Lotus will start to slow.
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

is that the same spedc as the exige?? suipercharged etc??
Very nice tone to it and like you said a very fast for what it is,
now the mrs wants one ](*,)
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

It is an N/A. 2ltr 16v vvc type thingy.
Tell her they are awful on petrol, that will put a stop to that. haha
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

1.8L VVTL-i, I think you mean.

Tbh I'd be surprised if it was just the stock 111R, as most turbo diesel estates can out drag them in straight line when moving (no torque, see). My guess would be more likely a Honda conversion, as although you only get 30 more bhp you get a much better spread of torque throughout the range. That said, could even be an aftermarket supercharged 2ZZ.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

ekona wrote:1.8L VVTL-i, I think you mean.

Tbh I'd be surprised if it was just the stock 111R, as most turbo diesel estates can out drag them in straight line when moving (no torque, see). My guess would be more likely a Honda conversion, as although you only get 30 more bhp you get a much better spread of torque throughout the range. That said, could even be an aftermarket supercharged 2ZZ.

If it was a honda engined one, he'd have no chance really.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Agree, if it was Honda powered it would have been gone.
Have a look at the videos on youtube.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Extubby wrote:Agree, if it was Honda powered it would have been gone.
Have a look at the videos on youtube.

I don't need to, i've driven a few of them. :+:

(I used to do the honda conversions!).
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I think the diesel estate out dragging the 111R is a bit extreme. 190bhp in a car THAT light is still gonna be bloody quick.

Perhaps the diesel might have an advantage at 70mph rolling start for a moment but when it hits 4k it's dead and the Toyota engine will go to over 8k rpms (like a tamer V-tec)

Just to give an idea. 190bhp - 860kg = 221bhp per ton.
Rev 3 tubby 245bhp - 1,300kg - 169bhp per ton!

According to this site, 0-60 takes 5.1s & 0-100 is 13s which is fractionally slower than my 300bhp tubby.

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/ ... car=119328
mcoppen

Post by mcoppen »

Guy at work has the 190bhp one, and we have had many blasts on daul carrige way/b roads. Is really not much in it until you start getting to high speeds and then you can start to notice the extra power and torque of the MR2. But my MR2 is faster once the turbo gets going. Never done a standing start drag with him however, which would be interesting, not sure what 0-60 mine would be running but must be lower than 5.1 seconds now.
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Lauren, didn't meen for you to look on youtube.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:

According to this site, 0-60 takes 5.1s & 0-100 is 13s which is fractionally slower than my 300bhp tubby.

Or how about this, an S1 Elise weighing in at 768kg with 204bhp (K20A engine) works out to around 350bhp per tonne!

0-60= 4.5 secs
0-100 = 9.5.

I can verify that its chuffing quick.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

No it doesnt, it works out to 265.625bhp to be exact.

Calculation works as 204 / 0.768 = 265.625

Still quick I'll give it that. With that engine going to 9k rpms it's not hard to see why accelleration times are so quick though. It'll probably hit 60 in 2nd? 100 in 3rd?
The TVIS Kid

Post by The TVIS Kid »

matt_mr2t wrote:I think the diesel estate out dragging the 111R is a bit extreme. 190bhp in a car THAT light is still gonna be bloody quick.

Perhaps the diesel might have an advantage at 70mph rolling start for a moment but when it hits 4k it's dead and the Toyota engine will go to over 8k rpms (like a tamer V-tec)

I think you the toyota engine doesn't come in to lift until 6200 rpm and revs to past 8K. Even below this it is not a slow car. I never get my people rave on about the amount of torque you get in diesels, maybe at 70 mph both in the top gear of course but less torque just means you need a better selection of gear.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

I saw a work in progress K20A Elise transplant at Tdi in Thurock last weekend at the IMOC dyno day. Very cool 8)

I chatted to one of the guys there and he said they don't ever advise tuning the 1.8VVTi and instead they do lots of VTEC conversions, many with superchargers :shock:

Saw a couple of Elises at Santa Pod a few weeks ago. Not sure which versions they were, but they were doing 13.5 sec at best. Not too shabby, but kind of missing the point of these cars really :lol:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

The TVIS Kid wrote:

I think you the toyota engine doesn't come in to lift until 6200 rpm and revs to past 8K. Even below this it is not a slow car. I never get my people rave on about the amount of torque you get in diesels, maybe at 70 mph both in the top gear of course but less torque just means you need a better selection of gear.

I agree :thumleft: The only thing turbo diesel torque is good for is easy in-gear acceleration from 70 - 90mph. Which is why so many of the basstards find it soooo easy to tail-gate you if you should dare to be holding them up.

Still on the other hand, I heard and read so many criticisms of the Toyota 1.8VVti being the opposite extreme - i.e. very narrow torque band and extremely linear - i.e boring - below the high-lift zone.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:No it doesnt, it works out to 265.625bhp to be exact.

Calculation works as 204 / 0.768 = 265.625

Still quick I'll give it that. With that engine going to 9k rpms it's not hard to see why accelleration times are so quick though. It'll probably hit 60 in 2nd? 100 in 3rd?

Okay i stand corrected on the power to weight. Actually the gears are pretty short, its a 6 speed. IIRC you need to be in third before 60. You'd be nearly in 5th at 100.
Kinsy

Post by Kinsy »

Friend of mine has an Exige S2 (220bhp). Red with a slight gold flake, black wheels. Looks fantastic.

First of all you can tell if its an Exige cause theres a whacking great intercooler in the way of the back window - which made me laugh even more getting into it because Lotus still put a rear view mirror on the windscreen. Just so you have a clear view of your intercooler.

The day he got it another friend in his F430 (yes, it is daddies - but daddy was declared blind 6 months into ordering it so guess who gets to drive it?) turned up for a session on a runway.

I was passenger in the F430 when they had a play. Neck and neck til 80 then the Ferrari starts to pull away. The Ferrari is great for making people jump with its active exhaust, over 3,000rpm the valve opens and it sounds like God just let one rip:) The Exige on the other hand just sounds like a jet once its going.

Cornering wise, ive been in the Exige when the driver was giving it some - handles fantastic. Even gets half decent MPG being as though it weighs nothing.

Return to “Driving Experiences”