[Mk2] [Turbo] Wobble/shake of whole car?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GhostWKD

[Mk2] [Turbo] Wobble/shake of whole car?

Post by GhostWKD »

Problem my '2 has had recently is driving around in a straight line it'll randomly occasionally do this thing where the whole car kinda crabs sideways one way then the other straight away, doesnt go out of control or anything but very un-nerving...

have thought could be top mounts but anyone else got any ideas on the subject?

would like to get it fixed to go to spittinflames tribute run tomorrow, but fear its a bit late :(

edit: one point though is it became a bit more common since i had different wheels put on.... could it be something stupidly simple like the wheel balancing? had tracking checked when i had this problem first show up and tracking was fine :(
Ex Rev3 n/a x1
Ex Rev1 Turbo's x3 (buy cheap = buy 3x...)
Current VW Bora TDI
Current RX7
blue2

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Wobble/shake of whole car?

Post by blue2 »

No I doubt its tacking or balancing. If your tracking was out it would always pull to one side. If it was the balancing it would start to wobble at a certain speed but it would pull, the steering wheel would shake a bit.
Does this just happen at a certain speed? When my anti roll bars were shot my car used to go from left to right but only at motorway speeds and yep it was a bit unnerving! It never got out of control though just right, then left and then I slowed down.
If its happenning at all speeds then you need to get it checked out pretty quick especially if its a sudden pull to one side as something could give out and you could be on trouble.
fearless

Post by fearless »

you say you have changed wheels did this happen after you changed wheels, i put 17" wheels on an old rs turbo of mine drove like a pig this was the first time i had used directional tyres that was wrong to start and was on the wrong way round, then found metal collar missing from one wheel trip down to elites in rainham soon sorted that out then car drove like a dream just an idea if not check for wear on all suspension components :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
mruk

Post by mruk »

mine is doing this too, feels bloody dangerous ](*,)

just took the wheel off today as i wanted to know how hard it was goign to be to fit the droplinks i'd ordered to fix the problems and the suspension strut was covered in oil, so that'll need replacing too and i bet thats the problem not the droplinks

does yours bang excessively over bumps??
GhostWKD

Post by GhostWKD »

had a bit of a test yesterday and found the following;

under hard acceleration very rare that it does it (infact i'd go as far as to say it doesnt do it) however as soon as come off the throttle it will sometimes immediately snake...

i do have a complete mr2 tubby sat outside my flats so spares arnt a part (however big jobs are a nono due to a very very nosey neighbour who i have a harassment thing with - really cant be bothered with the arguments she starts)

blue2 - it does it mainly higher speeds but occasionally lower speeds too... did you have the above issue as well in regards to not feeling it on WOT but when lifting alot of the time happens straight away afterwards? how did you diagnose your arb as the problem?

nofearmadbiker - was doing it before changed wheels also, but more noticable (or more common?) on new wheels... both standard wheels only difference is the ones now fitted have 205 front tyres rather than 195's...

mruk - struts look fine, but when going over speed bumps or a shift in the weight of the car (slow over speed bumps and back on throttle even feather lightly) there is a knock that sounds like its from the back left of the car

I previously had chopped springs on the car (not by choice - how i bought it... was told it had coilovers, last time i view a car in a rush in the wet :( ) and this has only really happened since changing the springs on the car, so could well be drop links disturbed or a top mount fallen apart (the rear left top mount looks in quite a bad way for a start)

Also does anyone know how to diagnose problems with drop links (or as above with arb's) at all?

Thanks guys for help so far :)
Ex Rev3 n/a x1
Current VW Bora TDI
Current RX7
gline

Post by gline »

I have the same issue.
was thinking it could be the suspension on my car, car has starting to make weird noises going over bumps :(
Tasty

Post by Tasty »

I had similar problem,scared the s..t out of me.Four wheel alignment at Elites solved it. :D
513BHP at the hubs
GhostWKD

Post by GhostWKD »

have had the alignment checked once but no avail, might have it checked again

Also im not sure if its still the case as i avoid country roads so much, but used to be more of a problem when cornering to the right than cornering to the left...

Anyone any suggestions on what i can do to start diagnosing the problem? :(

Cheers,
Alex
Ex Rev3 n/a x1
Current VW Bora TDI
Current RX7
spannerman

Post by spannerman »

Seems like a growing trend, as I'm suffering this strange (steer from the rear ) type handling.

Spec:-

Rev 3
Standard Alloys
Toyo's 195/55/15 & 225/50/15
Tein super streets
New drop links + Anti Roll Bushes
4 wheel alignment carried out to Dino settings:-
Front toe = 1mm
Rear toe = 2mm
Neg camber front 1 degree - rear 1.25 degrees.

Had car on mates 4 poster ramp yesterday, barred and prodded every available bush, ball joint and linkage and came up with nothing.

Symptoms:-
When cornering the initial turn in feels un-nerving for a slit second but once loaded up its solid as a rock. Change of direction recreates this weird feeling.

Going straight at 70 + and moving the steering back and forth (20-30 degrees) creates what I can only describe as a steer from the rear feeling. Its very un-nerving and does not inspire confidence. The higher the speed the greater the steer from the rear feeling, not nice.

Although I'm unable to create any play in them, I'm aiming at the rear ball joints at the minute. Testing them for play is one thing but the forces they are under when cornering can't be re-produced stationary so hopefully I should be onto a winner.

Has anyone changed their rear ball joints and prior to changing them were you getting the "steer from the rear" feeling?

Spannerman
Poohbear

Post by Poohbear »

I had this with mine and it turned out that one of the captive nuts inside the rear subframe that is the attachment point for the lower arm had broken loose and was allowing the lower arm to move about. the best way I can describe it is that the back of the car used to 'shimmy' left and right.
I got hold of a spare subframe and swapped them over..problem vanished. Might be worth checking this out for you as it's a fairly common problem (I know of at least two other instances).

Bob
I'm Going To Die Young...But When I'm Very Very Old!
GhostWKD

Post by GhostWKD »

Poohbear wrote:I had this with mine and it turned out that one of the captive nuts inside the rear subframe that is the attachment point for the lower arm had broken loose and was allowing the lower arm to move about. the best way I can describe it is that the back of the car used to 'shimmy' left and right.
I got hold of a spare subframe and swapped them over..problem vanished. Might be worth checking this out for you as it's a fairly common problem (I know of at least two other instances).

Bob

i was worried someone would mention this as a possibility...

mine was opened up and re-welded for MOT on one side, and the other had a bolt that was too small fitted so had a bigger bolt fitted... this was about (or shortly before) when this problem started :(
Ex Rev3 n/a x1
Current VW Bora TDI
Current RX7
spannerman

Post by spannerman »

I wish the captive nut had sheared from the subframe as at least i could sort this but there fine, checked after reading a post mentioning them.

I'm still thinking it could be the ball joints but also the bushes that attach the trailing arms to the chassis. If there is moment in these it would in turn cause the bottom arm to move causing toe on the wheels, hense steering from the rear.

The plot thickens :(
spannerman

Post by spannerman »

I think I could well of gotten to the bottom of this one.

Have been reading some posts about Toyo T1R's being a bit pants (stock 15" size) and having major flex in the sidewalls. The advice was to increase tyre pressures to minimise the flex.

Anyways, I've increased the pressures 3psi above stock all round and the steer from the rear has ceased.

I'm glad it was a simple fix in the end :)
GhostWKD

Post by GhostWKD »

think i've found my issue...

looks like something to do with the tracking or similar, but an adjustment bar going from the chassis to the rear arm... has a threaded section with a nut on it, then after the nut a big big washer followed by some sort of bush i think?

this huge washer has about 5mm play to move back and forth as the nut isnt tight up against it... could this be my problem possibly?

havn't had chance to have car up on ramps, literally just had it on a kerb to look for play anywhere on any suspension components i could get my hands to, and the above was all i could find

Cheers :)
Ex Rev3 n/a x1
Current VW Bora TDI
Current RX7
Poohbear

Post by Poohbear »

That could be your problem...the nut should be pulled up tight squashing the rubber or in my case poly bushes into the arm. See picture below.

Bob
GhostWKD

Post by GhostWKD »

Poohbear wrote:That could be your problem...the nut should be pulled up tight squashing the rubber or in my case poly bushes into the arm. See picture below.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/P ... odRear.jpg

Bob

Cheers for the reply/pic :)

The side that is loose is the other side of the bush, will it still have the same principles ie being squashed up against the bush etc?

Might have to try and see what i can do about it later today :)
Ex Rev3 n/a x1
Current VW Bora TDI
Current RX7
Poohbear

Post by Poohbear »

The nut pulls the two bushes into the arm...one either side.

Bob
GhostWKD

Post by GhostWKD »

Cheers for your help Poohbear, this was indeed the problem :) after having the nut tightened by a garage, and a 4 wheel alignment all sorted and feels so much more confident in the corners :)
Ex Rev3 n/a x1
Current VW Bora TDI
Current RX7
TubbyTwo

Post by TubbyTwo »

im going to have to look into this as well, mine feels a bit loose on straights as well.

may be worth poly bushing the lot as well. :thumleft:
2003 Leon Cupra R, stage 2 Jabbasport remap to 280bhp

MR2 now sold :(

Return to “Mechanical”