Thinking of moving to an sw20

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: Thinking of moving to an sw20

Post by Ryan S »

Harold wrote:I think the risk of spinning/having an off in a mk2 has been quite overstated by you chaps. As long as you're sensible and don't drive like a dick then you have nothing to worry about. My first and only car before my mr2 turbo was a 1.4 8v Clio with all of about 70bhp, 3.5 years on I'm still alive and haven't spun or lost control of the car yet.

My advice - Buy a turbo, the sound of the turbo spooling up behind your head is intoxicating and never gets boring.

i've never spun an mr2, however, i had a huge tank slapper in my NA, not having the limited slip diff makes a massive difference, it was a road i'd drive daily but i'd been using the tubby for this trip mostly, and the section of road wasn't an issue at all, until i took out the NA. I was going about half the speed i would normally (probably due to lack of power :lol: :lol: ) and the rear of the car just let go. that was me and NAs finished at that point. i ended up breaking it after that. oh, just to clarify, my tubby was a rev 2, and the NA was a rev 3 with polybushes. felt much tighter on the road than the tubby. it's not having the LSD that let it down.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

synXero wrote: It's easy enough to buy and try and sell on! .

this is far from the case, there's sooooo many nice cars in the for sale section that have been there for months with price drop after price drop, mine included. :(

as far as Mr2s go, it's a buyers market at the moment, my advice is find the one you want and stick with it, the way it's going at the moment, you will more than likely be stuck with the one you buy anyway.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Maybe you're right. I was really meaning the cheapo ones that seem to change hands freely - the £1000-1500 cars. Now I'm not saying I would pick one of these as my long term car myself, but for getting to know MR2s it could work.

Although I guess a shitty one could thoroughly and unfairly put you off..

Catch 22.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

synXero wrote:Maybe you're right. I was really meaning the cheapo ones that seem to change hands freely - the £1000-1500 cars. Now I'm not saying I would pick one of these as my long term car myself, but for getting to know MR2s it could work.

Although I guess a shitty one could thoroughly and unfairly put you off..

Catch 22.

yeah i'd deffo avoid the cheap ones, i suggested a few rev3s on here(at a fair price too) to a friend but he went and bought the cheapest rev2 he could find, he immediately had to spend £900 on it just to sort the brakes and suspension which cost him more in total than the cars i'd suggested, plus it needs a respray and some other bits and bobs. lesson learned :(
Rory

Post by Rory »

I've had 3 MR2's over the last 12 years with plenty of other cars in between (Evo 8, Range Rovers, defenders, clio's, fiestas etc) and can honestly say that the last time I purchased an MR2 (about a year back) I really struggled to find anything half decent. There's a lot of crap out there. 12 years back you could go out any day of the week and buy a decent MR2. Now you can spend months finding something that is just ok. I spent £800 on a fairly tidy NA last year and even then had to spend a lot more to get it where I wanted.

My thread - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

It is 100% a buyers market out there! Don't rush in and buy the wrong car as it could take you a long time to sell it back on (unless you buy very cheap).

Madfish - £3500 should buy you one of the best Rev3 Turbos around but obviously this is still going to be an old car.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Whatever you go for Madfish I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.
Just look at the passion shown by sheppy, SynXero, myself and pretty much every other owner contributing to this thread.... they are great, involving and rewarding cars no matter what version you end up with and we all love 'em. Plus you're joining a really helpful, fun and knowledgeable community that enjoys a bit of banter and the occasional tyre kicking get together.
Buy well and you'll love it for years and I'm sure there are many here that would help in that process should you feel you need it. There are some truly stunning members cars for sale with prices held artificially low by this economic slump we're in.
Get one while you can... then show us loads of pictures as you fettle it to your tastes so we can criticise and tell you how we would have done it...
Be nice to have you along.

R.

PS. Expecting your next post now to contain a piccie of your new 2...
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Double post.... ooops!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

HighwayStar wrote:Whatever you go for Madfish I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.
Just look at the passion shown by sheppy, SynXero, myself and pretty much every other owner contributing to this thread.... they are great, involving and rewarding cars no matter what version you end up with and we all love 'em. Plus you're joining a really helpful, fun and knowledgeable community that enjoys a bit of banter and the occasional tyre kicking get together.
Buy well and you'll love it for years and I'm sure there are many here that would help in that process should you feel you need it. There are some truly stunning members cars for sale with prices held artificially low by this economic slump we're in.
Get one while you can... then show us loads of pictures as you fettle it to your tastes so we can criticise and tell you how we would have done it...
Be nice to have you along.

R.

PS. Expecting your next post now to contain a piccie of your new 2...

can't argue with that, i've been a member on here for about 9 years and had mr2s since i was 20 years old. i'll always come back to them. i've had just about every turbo jap car there is and can't find one that i like as much as the mr2. most folk on the site are the same, sell one minute, then looking for another 2 the next :D
madfish

Post by madfish »

Just a little update :)

There may well be a deal being made this weekend which will see me in a 2 :)

Watch this space...
craig

Post by craig »

madfish wrote:Just a little update :)

There may well be a deal being made this weekend which will see me in a 2 :)

Watch this space...

\:D/

pics? :wink:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”