Engine Removal

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Engine Removal

Post by Peter Gidden »

coverco wrote:Peter have you ever studied metallurgy?

Yes thank you. Although i rarely mention it, a BEng (Hons) sponsored by the MOD followed by one year doing QC took care of that. 90% of the time spent machining prototype parts for Trident missile systems.

coverco wrote:The correct engineering solution for a drop link is to have one continuous piece of rod with a ball joint at each end, which is how they come from the manufacturer, shortening the metal rod is a bodge I am afraid.

I disagree. It is a cheap, straightforward, mass-production method of manufacturing droplinks. Providing the previously mentioned weaknesses resulting from the welding do not exceed operating stresses, then i see nothing wrong with cutting and shutting.

I note you have not criticised my other two examples of shortening by cutting and shutting, namely propshafts and driveshafts... Why droplinks are different, i don't know.

coverco wrote:As to the industrial revolution well you are wrong there as well...

Welding was used of course but it was at lower temperatures than modern welding techniques and so the metallurgical changes were not as extreme.

Errrr, why does that make me wrong?

In any case, i've said my part. I know you will always be right Tom, so i will leave it at that.
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
coverco wrote:Peter have you ever studied metallurgy?

Yes thank you. Although i rarely mention it, a BEng (Hons) sponsored by the MOD followed by one year doing QC took care of that. 90% of the time spent machining prototype parts for Trident missile systems.

BOOOMMMM...... Best response ever.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Look, you're all wrong. Just buy OEM Toyota ones as funnily enough no cut and shutting required and they are believe it or not, made for the job!

:tongue:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Can you lock or delete this please as its irrelevant to what i originally posted, yes its my fault for mentioning the radiator but its a pointless topic.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Can you lock or delete this please as its irrelevant to what i originally posted, yes its my fault for mentioning the radiator but its a pointless topic.

Or would it be inconvenient for mods to separate the engine removal posts
from the irrelevant ones please so that Alex can have his original thread back ?
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Can do either for you Alex, pm me which ever way you want to go.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”