All over for G164 CKV... didn't make the moon after all.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

T.F.S.

Re: All over for G164 CKV... didn't make the moon after all.

Post by T.F.S. »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Highwaystar, i've spken to Luke and between us we think number 4 bore is siezing up due to overfuelling on that cylinder and bore washing, he is going to throw a scope down the bore but it sounds like that is the problem.

Either way the engine has probably had it.

I've offered you/Luke a free Rev3 NA engine to help you out, it needs a harness and ECU but everything else is there, it would only need pallet shipping paying for (around £80).

Anyway it's yours if you want it.

Legend!
dazzz wrote:I'm no expert but
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

HighwayStar wrote:Yeah but you still have the old merc to entertain you fella. I think I'm gradually reaching the conclusion that history or not I'm going to break it... It just isn't fair to the other half to keep spending money I don't have on it.

:(

Incredibly generous offer from Paul but fair point mate. My wife has been arguing the same thing about my car the last couple of years so I know where you are coming from. Good luck with it either way :thumleft:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

HighwayStar wrote:Yeah but you still have the old merc to entertain you fella. I think I'm gradually reaching the conclusion that history or not I'm going to break it... It just isn't fair to the other half to keep spending money I don't have on it.

Hi Rob,

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but you should have dropped that engine out a long time ago, it would have been a lot cheaper in the long run and you'd still be on the road now, I hate to say I told you so, but I did, several times. Chasing Intergalactic mileage on an original engine was just asking for trouble.

If you cannot afford to repair it then that's fair enough, it is a massive shame though. Can Luke not store it for you for a month or so while you mull it over?

Car is worth what? £1500 in bits with patience

£500 all in to repair it vs buying a new car on a limited budget

I know what I'd be doing.

Ollie
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Kongaroo wrote:

My wife has been arguing the same thing about my car the last couple of years so I know where you are coming from. :

My missus moans every so often, until I remind her how much she wastes on hire purchase of a brand new Fiesta every 2 years.
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

HighwayStar wrote:It just isn't fair to the other half to keep spending money I don't have on it.

But it is to spend a whole lot more cash on another car of the unknown? #-o
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Who said I'd be buying again? I'd love to but finance means the chances are we'll just be a one car household now... though how I'm going to get the shopping in the mk3 is another issue. I'd like to start again with a '99/2000 rev 5 but no money means no options.
And Ollie... chasing mileage? No. I just wanted to keep together original engine and chassis. Yes I'm pleased with the mileage it had achieved but considered the H/G repair last year purely logical since there were no other issues with the engine and never had been. Indeed until trying to start it to no avail there were still no issues so absolutely no reason not to carry on with it and no reason to believe it couldn't have done another 100,000 miles. I honestly thought the chassis would give up the ghost to rust and decay before the engine let go. I still have no idea what has actually caused it and no logical explanation and that's the main reason I'm feeling disconsolate. That and the fact I have no funds currently to either repair or replace.
Road_Rebel

Post by Road_Rebel »

Ive been apart of at least 20 plus forums but i dont think i have ever come across any where its members care about each other as much as they do here on the IMOC!

I hope you keep the 2 bud, im not a fan of spoilerless 2's but yours is the nicest ive seen on here! No offense Karl :P
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Well the no money thing is the clincher really. Sorry to hear about the car Rob.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Yo mate, not having a dig, just cant get my head round why you didn't just bite the bullet the last few times and go replacement engine:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

The HG repair was a mistake (imo) at the time as a replacement later spec lump would have been around the same price. I'm ALL about the costs of things, originality wouldn't bother me.

Just saying :)
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

No news from the scope inspection yet so I've still no idea what's gone on to turn a wonderful engine into a pile of junk but I still think it's related to the electrical problem where it wouldn't charge and drained two batteries. The majority of views I've had reckon somethings effected the electrical system and ignition with the seizure a result of this.
Any more views/ideas before I start breaking it up?
craig

Post by craig »

I know what I'd do Rob! Turbo or V6 it! See it as a reason to go with a new engine!

Would love to see this kept alive :D
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Still no news.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Boroscope was a little inconclusive. Couldn't see anything untoward. Will roll her inside tomorrow for a better look. The sun came out the minute I stepped outside so veiwing the screen was tricky.

So does the conclusion of diagnoses at all effect what you'll do next with it? :-k
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

My offer of a free engine still stands guys, regardless of the outcome.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

To be honest Paul I've just had enough.
As you said at the outset an engine that has just run perfectly with temp exactly mid way, sounding great, not smoking or using oil and with all the correct fluids on board doesn't seize up the next day on a driveway when it's cold.
Nor do I understand why even if it did suffer this seemingly impossible huge mechanical failure it would at the exact same time kill completely (to the extent that I wasn't getting any dash lights) a brand new 4 day old battery.... having done precisely the same to the preceeding battery about 6 days before. Where's the connection there?
In my view conclusion of diagnosis after driving it, cleaning it, modifying it, personalising it and basically loving it for over 13yrs and 140,000 miles is extremely important. I have spent a lot on it recently (including a H/G replacement) but only after much careful thought and wouldn't have done so if I had any inkling of another issue. Luke recently posted here in another thread how after the new H/G it had compression of 185 across all cylinders... not a sign of a failing motor.
I want to know what has killed it. Concluding it has just expired on my drive is like concluding JFK died of natural causes.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

? But the first thing u said to me was u didn't want to spend money diagnosing? Confused.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

OK. Do nothing further and I'll sort a trailer to take it elsewhere.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Yes well done. That is exactly how I feel.
I'd hoped you'd be equally as interested as me in finding out why a car running perfectly before you fitted a new alternator to it should immediately thereafter have a constantly flat battery... even when that battery is a brand new one fitted at your instigation... and then break beyond repair apparently during a simple attempt to start it with a jump pack. Anything there sound like an electrical issue?
You've had the car a month, you've not answered my calls or called me back from too many messages and texts to remember and you've still not furnished any sort of explanation for the charging problems which every other garage I've spoken to believe are connected to all this.
](*,) indeed.

My patience, faith and trust have simply expired that's all.
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

I remember this car and I remember my disbelief when time and time again you didn't want to get a new lump and drop it in there, and insisted on getting this one fixed time and time again....

I'm all for great records and whatnot, but it will cost you money! :oops:
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”