Rev 1 turbo vs E36 M3

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

matt_mr2t

Re: Rev 1 turbo vs E36 M3

Post by matt_mr2t »

Lauren wrote:
fizz wrote:
Presuming that was a sarcastic quote...

I honestly dont like the sound of it... Watched about 4 min of that vid and when he puts his foot down the low rpm tinny sound is there and its horrid. :whistle:

Yes it was. I :lover: that kind of sound. Nothing like an NA at 8500rpm. Sublime. :+:

Too much of a generalisation there Lauren. Unusual for you.

A Ferarri NA at 8.5k will sound massively different from an M3 at 8.5k rpms and even more different from an American pushrod V8 at 8.5k and extremely different from a Honda at 8.5k revs, drastically different from an Aston V12, Porsche flat 6 or V10, Lambo V10 or V12 etc.

All those engines sound different but all of them are N/A's
Personally, out of all of them, I would remove the Honda and the E36/E46 M3 as they're just boring inlines that drone/howl
The others make music.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:

A Ferarri NA at 8.5k will sound massively different from an M3 at 8.5k rpms and even more different from an American pushrod V8 at 8.5k and extremely different from a Honda at 8.5k revs, drastically different from an Aston V12, Porsche flat 6 or V10, Lambo V10 or V12 etc.

Personally, out of all of them, I would remove the Honda and the E36/E46 M3 as they're just boring inlines that drone/howl
The others make music.

Well I guess what i'm saying is that I like the sound of engines at very high revs and there aren't that many production engines that can get to 8.5K rpm. I seriously doubt an antiquated pushrod V8 will get to those kind of rpm's in production form. But of all those engines listed they all sound great at high rpm's so I think it's a fair generalisation to make in that respect.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Lauren wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:

The others make music.

Well I guess what i'm saying is that I like the sound of engines at very high revs and there aren't that many production engines that can get to 8.5K rpm. I seriously doubt an antiquated pushrod V8 will get to those kind of rpm's in production form. But of all those engines listed they all sound great at high rpm's so I think it's a fair generalisation to make in that respect.

Antiquated pushrod V8?? You need to do some research on the Chevvy LS series of engines...
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I think brand new American V8's are pushrods.

It's based on an old concept. But then again, so is every single piston engine in the entire world?
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

matt_mr2t wrote:I think brand new American V8's are pushrods.

It's based on an old concept. But then again, so is every single piston engine in the entire world?

The chevvy ls v8s are, but they make fantastic power, have great fuel economy for the power, and are very light and compact due to the pushrod design. they are really great engines.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

And being pushrod are probably ten times easier to work on than over head valves. Not to mention, being in the states, strangled by OTT regulations....

After you posted I wiki'd them, quite interesting read. The LS9 I think it was is 6.3 with a supercharger making 638bhp
Off the top of my head, that must be the one in the Corvette they most recently tested on top gear, along with the Challenger and the Caddy?
It certainly looked insanely fast.
JJ

Post by JJ »

The LS9 I think it was is 6.3 with a supercharger making 638bhp
Off the top of my head, that must be the one in the Corvette they most recently tested on top gear, along with the Challenger and the Caddy?

I'm sure that vette was the new 7.0 litre LS evolved engine !! Great engine in all respect.... though massive bawlache in changing the cam out half way down the engine... engines got to come out !! :-k

Parts are cheap as chips compared to the jap stuff !! :thumleft:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Why would you need to change a cam when you have that much power and torque?

I'm sure I read the other day it's the fastest production spec car on the ring?

A yank tank FFS!

It's about 2 seconds faster than the Nissan GTR.
JJ

Post by JJ »

Why would you need to change a cam when you have that much power and torque?

:mrgreen: I look at engines from a modding / maintenance point of view... If something looks potentially like it would cost an absolute fortune to maintain or repair if things go wrong... then watch me turn into a negative stick in the mud.

Top end beasty, sure you dont need any more.. I'm looking in the perspective of the LS engined cars I can afford :mrgreen:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Maintenance is generally easier on a pushrod or so I'm told. Especially head gasket work.

This is quite interesting.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/index.php?showtopic=23918

I get the feeling user "future of GM" is a cat funt.
JJ

Post by JJ »

Continuously Variable Valve Lift

Brilliant find .. didn't realise how "simple" you could implement honda's patended VTEC system to a pushrod engine !! :thumleft:

matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Just looks like adjustable wheel camber bolts doesn't it lol.
Burger

Post by Burger »

Lauren wrote:
RobCrezz wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:M3s are nice but they sound like Corsas with bean cans on the back. :puker:

You need your hearing checked mate! Them straight six's on sound awesome! =P~

DAFL. :+:

+2

I only had a lowly 325i with a replacement stock looking exhaust, easily the best sounding car i've ever owned.

I aggree :thumleft:

Well apart from C280 sport (V6) my mother had a 2 years ago :D

Return to “Driving Experiences”