Rev 1 turbo vs E36 M3

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Martian_333

Rev 1 turbo vs E36 M3

Post by Martian_333 »

Ok so I've just been to the local supermarket, happily minding my own business having used up half a tank of fuel already today - to get some beers in for tonight and some idiot comes stonking up behind me - now I'm starting to get used to this, half the time its people carriers lol but I've had a couple of Porsche's, an Aston Martin and a Scooby but I'm thinking this is another people carrier and I just want to drive home.

Anyway, he moves to overtake and I realise its a Beema, well I'm stuck behind some grandma as he blasts past both of us, so I boost it half hearted past her and I'm behind the Beema again which I then realise is an M3 (it sounded like one too).

Anwyay, we immediately hit a roundabout which leads under a bridge, round another roundabout then some more traffic and an uphill slip road style to the dual carriageway which continues uphill for 4 miles or so.

I follow him all the way up the hill and I can hear his engine under mine (notice I say UNDER mine), he is definately going to boot it so I drop to 2nd and as soon as we see the dual carriageway closing in we both hit it and head for the outside lane, I'm right on his rear end and hes gaining nothing, he pulls over and we quickly move through the gears - finally in 5th I tank past him, not enormously, but enough to just cruise by - in every gear bar 2nd I hit 5.5k maybe at tops 6k rpm, I didnt use the last 1-1.5.

Now I remember having a play with the same year M3 in my old GTI6 306 lol and it totally destroyed me in excelleration, but I was really suprised that I absolutely annhilated him, we were on a hill aswell, it wasent flat.

My grin got wider tonight and I really do think these cars are awesome, I have big plans for my car and this is on a small boost increase (CT26 Hybrid Turbo Stage 1). :D
anthonyg

Re: Rev 1 turbo vs E36 M3

Post by anthonyg »

E36 would enialate you on track driven properly, against your MR2 driven properly :wink:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Martian_333 wrote:finally in 5th I tank past him, not enormously, but enough to just cruise by

Martian_333 wrote:I absolutely annihilated him

Sums it up tbh. Who says he was using all the revs too?
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

this is the way mr2 ownership is going :( , well i guess it has been for a few years now :cry:
Sol

Post by Sol »

Imo, if you own a stupdily fast car... not an evo X or a bmw m5..porcha or rearly expensive car. I mean owing a 15 year old skyline and having just standard looking and watching all these other slower cars than your self booting it knowing that they pay 50k+ and you still own them.That is what my firend enjoys the most about hes car. We all see them on the motor way on the fast lane, trying to push every thing in front of them. they start to hug hes bumper and then seeing their face as he be comes a very small dot in front of them.

That makes it worth it for him :thumleft: :thumleft:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

LOL. Relax guys - it's the 'driving experiences' section of a MR2 forum.

Now I'm no fan of street racing but seriously - what sort of posts would you expect to find in this section? :lol:

Seems like the only kosher posts in this section nowadays are the ones that show an MR2 is slower, worse handling, old technology etc. etc. :roll: :lol:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Sol wrote:Imo, if you own a stupdily fast car... not an evo X or a bmw m5..porcha or rearly expensive car. I mean owing a 15 year old skyline and having just standard looking and watching all these other slower cars than your self booting it knowing that they pay 50k+ and you still own them.That is what my firend enjoys the most about hes car. We all see them on the motor way on the fast lane, trying to push every thing in front of them. they start to hug hes bumper and then seeing their face as he be comes a very small dot in front of them.

That makes it worth it for him :thumleft: :thumleft:

That's really sad, and ultimately screams of jealousy. Me, I prefer to let exotica go flying past me so I can hear the beautiful sound of a flat-6 or V10 instead of the drone that is a 4-pot, and I'll always give a thumbs up to nice metal. Just because everyone around you may be driving/acting like a twit, doesn't mean you have to join in. [-X

You might find posts in here where two cars have met up unexpectedly and both gone driving fairly hard down some nice roads, occasionally swapping places so that it never feels like a race. I've done that before with various cars, and whilst time never allowed me to stop and chat with the owners we always waved at each other as we went our separate ways. That for me was a lot more exhilarating than when I owned the VXR and could boot it away from a 911 with relative ease. Positive human interaction makes for a better driving experience than trying to prove you're better than someone else IMHO.
Tasty

Post by Tasty »

Take no notice of the neg vibes mate < same people always > keep sticking it to the Germans . Another one up for the little 2 seat Jap :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
513BHP at the hubs
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

Ah it was just a bit of fun, who said anything about street racing? We acknowledged each other and he went on his way, it was literally up a small hill from almost standing.

I love the sound of a M3/M5, they sound awesome but not too awesome if its been driven like your trying to get 55mpg out of it.

If you own a performance car theres nothing wrong or illegally wrong with having a blast through the gears sometimes, otherwise what is the point? At the weekend I saw 3 Porsche's (one being the GT3 RS yum yum!), the M3 and a pretty beefed up Focus, ALL of them tanked past me, even more so the Porsche's and most of the traffic on the road - it was great to hear that Porsche engine (I wasen't behind them, I was in the slow lane enjoying my day in my car not driving anywhere in particular just wanted to go for a drive!) fly by, people who buy cars like this most likely enjoy driving them like they are intended to be driven, but that doesnt mean they do it illegally either.

The MR2 is not a museum piece just yet! :D

I know the M3 would destroy me on a track, but if I wanted a track car I would have bought a Scooby or a Evo (I love rally cars) for effortless track destruction and that includes over the M3.

:)
JJ

Post by JJ »

Similar experiences to mine when it was stock with a boost increase... like how you use the max torque areas changing at no later than 6.... in reality... I've always manged to pull past a car length till top end of 3rd.. then... 4th was always peg level... and 5th I'd start pulling again.

For the record.. my friends own / owned them.. so it wasn't some random unknown if they were kicking it or not... its standard to change up at 7500 rpm in an M3 !! :mrgreen:

If you do the math, similar torque in the 2 and the MR2 is lighter in weight. M3 has the gearing though... Uphill drag would have been nice.. you'd see a notible difference then !

Good read. ! :thumleft:
JJ

Post by JJ »

I know the M3 would destroy me on a track

Not to bite... although the M3 has a hell of a chassis.. I also know the pulling power of the MR2 turbo out of bends being somewhat hard to stick too as well, so I wont entirely agree with that comment ! :D
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I've tonked numerous E36's and a couple of E46 M3's

Still nice cars.
rossdymond3352

Post by rossdymond3352 »

Who cares if its faster than our little '2s? It's still got a BMW badge on it ;)
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

Well in this case regardless of the BMW badge, it wasent. :thumleft:
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Kongaroo wrote:LOL. Relax guys - it's the 'driving experiences' section of a MR2 forum.

Now I'm no fan of street racing but seriously - what sort of posts would you expect to find in this section? :lol:

Seems like the only kosher posts in this section nowadays are the ones that show an MR2 is slower, worse handling, old technology etc. etc. :roll: :lol:

Now now, dont get the track queens out again :lol:
rossdymond3352

Post by rossdymond3352 »

Wheres lauren when you need her? :lol:
leeandjude

Post by leeandjude »

I know what your on about in this post.....i dont rise to racing at all on the road especially round the streets......but if some prat or sales rep starts driving close behind me in the Impreza on a dual carriageway and its empty, all hell breaks loose!
People look at the Impreza as 'oooh look a chavs car' as everyone assumes they are all the same, they are nothing alike! the uk wrx will do a 0-60 run in about 6.2 secs as only 220bhp and heavy. Thats why i chose my STI RA, light as a feather with no leccy windows, mirrors, no central locking or even ABS with a DCCD gearbox (RWD or 4WD) roof vent etc gives a standard 0-60 in 4.3 standard, only beaten by the WR1 (4.25) took on all sorts in this and they get a big shock! actually worse offenders are the new age imprezas in blue!

but nearly all the time i just pootle around and try and recover some mpg!
Tasty

Post by Tasty »

You won`t shock me mate :lol: :lol: :lol:
513BHP at the hubs
leeandjude

Post by leeandjude »

:lol:
actually im liking driving around in the little N/A MR2...might look for a turbo version! :shock:
(she will kill me)
b4rk3r

Post by b4rk3r »

Tasty wrote:You won`t shock me mate :lol: :lol: :lol:

How long have you got out of your engine so far Tasty, and how reliable is it running that power?

Return to “Driving Experiences”