your lap times

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Toyo Boy

Fastest standard Toyota MR2 GT around Goodwood circuit

Post by Toyo Boy »

A standard Toyota Mk2 MR2 GT non-turbo put up the fastest standing start lap time at Goodwood.
The car was driven by Chris Greville in the Tunbridge Wells Motor Club National Sprint Championship round at Goodwood 25th June 2011.This little Toyota MR2 beat all the Renault Clio Cup cars fresh from Spa,as well as a gaggle of Honda Integra R models.
His Goodwood lap time of 105.39 seconds is the current standard production class record up to 2 litres normally aspired.
Toyo Boy

Re: your lap times

Post by Toyo Boy »

dan4 wrote:Would be nice to know peoples lap times at various circuits as a comparison...

Maybe post up quick spec and best time at circuit...

My only one so far:

Rev1 na. Exhaust manifold, hks exhaust, apexi filter
Lydden hill 53.2 with passenger

The standard production Championsip winning MR2 MK2 of Chris Greville does Lydden race circuit in 50.01 seconds.He also went on to beat many Clio Cup cars,Honda Integra R models,Honda S2000,with lap records set at Goodwood etc.
This car is very much standard,but set up for tarmac circuits.
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

What does that setup entail? With a similar setup, and having discovered some unexpected balls :) I could theoretically (i my standard UK rev3) go round in that time could I? This isn't the same person who doesn't brake anywhere at all at Goodwood is it?

Toyo Boy wrote:
This car is very much standard,but set up for tarmac circuits.
Last edited by brgbrm on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

[quote="marcbowden"]What does that setup entail? With a similar setup, and having discovered some unexpected balls :) I could theoretically (i my standard UK rev3) go round in that time could I? This isn't the same person who doesn't rake anywhere at all at Goodwood is it?

I'll bet his car is a fair bit lighter. That'll make a difference everywhere.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Toyo Boy

Post by Toyo Boy »

Lauren wrote:
marcbowden wrote:What does that setup entail? With a similar setup, and having discovered some unexpected balls :) I could theoretically (i my standard UK rev3) go round in that time could I? This isn't the same person who doesn't rake anywhere at all at Goodwood is it?

I'll bet his car is a fair bit lighter. That'll make a difference everywhere.

This MR2 has all standard panels,Chris takes out the heavy glass sunroof at the venue,spare alloy,stereo and speaker system,electric aerial, as well as a lightweight Varley battery.
The National rules for the standard production class says he has to keep the standard manifold,but can change the exhaust system from the cat back.Chris has done away with the standard system which weighs 23 kilos,and replaced it with a single stainless Buddy Club system that weighs 4.5 kilos.The decibels are right on the edge of legal,but it works.
No mods can be done to the engine and gearbox,but slight mods to air system,the use of best HT leads and super slippery oils can improve the performance.Chris even uses a set of plugs from a new Commercial van that has a 40% cooler state in high rev competition.
I saw the car at Austec in Crawley and this MR2 managed 178bhp on the rolling road.
The interior must be all standard,so Chris uses the standard velour seats and lightened the frames,and always with a 6 point 3in harness.
He uses Ex Works 5 stud Minilite Magnesium wheels and can only use list 1a production tyres.
Where Chris does really well,is setting his cars up for circuits,lots of camber,correct castors and toe-ins for every circuit.
Chris is so meticulous in preparations and will spend time adjusting tyre pressures and brake pad and bias ability so he doesnt lock up into hairpins and fast varying corners.
At Goodwood the other MR2s where 9 seconds a lap slower,as where many of the other cars such as the Clio Cup cars.
Last edited by Toyo Boy on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
dan4

Post by dan4 »

So in a full weight rev1 Tbar im doing pretty well at lydden running 50.9 \:D/

Cheers Toyoboy
Toyo Boy

Lap times in an MR2

Post by Toyo Boy »

Yep,that looks a good lap time of 50.9 secs at Lydden,especially if your MR2 is standard like the MR2 of Chris.
With tight twisty circuits like Lydden it equalises most cars right down to the tenth of a second, and because the MR2 is a slippery shape aerodynamically it suits the longer straights at circuits like Goodwood,Silverstone etc.
dan4

Post by dan4 »

I run apex springs, ebay intake, hks exhaust and decat, 4branch manifold, red stuff front pads and grooved discs. AD08 tyres

At least someone isnt bitching about timing :thumleft:
Toyo Boy

Post by Toyo Boy »

dan4 wrote:I run apex springs, ebay intake, hks exhaust and decat, 4branch manifold, red stuff front pads and grooved discs. AD08 tyres

At least someone isnt bitching about timing :thumleft:

Hi Dan
There are only a certain amount of mods you can do in the A2 Production class,you are not allowed to change springs or shocks,they must be stock so they hunt around for the gas Toyota sport stuff.
The MR2 has no Cat but it is allowed to change the exhaust system from the cat back or flexi pipe as long as the decibels are under 100.You are not allowed to change the exhaust manifold.
You must retain the standard calipers and brake discs,but can change the pads.
You must run list 1a tyres not 1b,so the MR2 runs Toyo Proxy all round.
So now you can see why this MR2 is quick and well driven on basically a well sorted handling standard car.
Toyo Boy

Laurens being obstructive again

Post by Toyo Boy »

Lauren wrote:IMO it's people that time on trackdays that cause the problems.

I also think if people are obsessed with lap times they ought to go off and do competitive motorsport. There, lap times are everything.

In answering Mark's question, there are plenty of other ways to know if you are improving. Obviously one way is through tuition, or as I prefer, I work on certain corners and find it's pretty obvious when I've got a good line.

You can also tell by your corner entry and exit speeds, if you build up to higher speeds, ergo you are going faster. Or your terminal speed on the straight before braking or at a given landmark.

Dan, all TDO's will say you can't time as it invalidates their's and every one elses insurance.

Lauren,get a life girl,if the lads want to put their times up,let them.
Us boys and the odd lass are a competitive bunch you know,its all about whos got the goods ????,dont you agree lads and odd lass.

And Lauren as far as your advice goes with regards circuit performace,its questionable as you never seem to be in amongst us competitive drivers.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

Yes its the competitive edge that then causes someone to carry to much speed/misjudge something and smash there car injuring someone just for bragging rights.

If you want to race enter a race series if you want to enjoy the higher limits in your car whist remaining to have fun go on trackdays.

Sorry I agree with Lauren, maybe its because I have been around it a long time, maybe its because I see lots people think there Jenson Button on a trackday and becoming a trackday hero.

Facts still remain the same if you want to race enter a race leaving us that want to have safe fun on trackdays.

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
ashley

Post by ashley »

loudandproud205 wrote: if you want to race enter a race leaving us that want to have safe fun on trackdays

Exactly :clap: :clap: :clap:
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

i cant really see the point of posting them really as there are way to many varibles invloved like engine mods, turbo, n/a, tyres, suspension, weight saving the list goes on and on.

So you cant really compare any times as you could be trying to chase someones time who has a stripped out 400bhp+ tubby in your lightly modded tubby etc

So posting things like below is totally useless unless every mod etc has been listed.

silverstone
rev3 turbo
mods
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Laurens being obstructive again

Post by Lauren »

Toyo Boy wrote:
Lauren,get a life girl,if the lads want to put their times up,let them.
Us boys and the odd lass are a competitive bunch you know,its all about whos got the goods ????,dont you agree lads and odd lass.

And Lauren as far as your advice goes with regards circuit performace,its questionable as you never seem to be in amongst us competitive drivers.

I've got a life thanks. I'm not going to condone what could potentially cause serious problems for other's doing trackdays.

How is my advice questionable? Does 12 years of trackdays a couple of championships and a bit of testing not count for anything thesedays?

Are you a newbie to racing?
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Toyo Boy wrote:dont you agree lads and odd lass.

To be honest, no I disagree with you. I couldn't give a monkeys what times other people are doing, that is not what trackdays are about.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

charged wrote:
Toyo Boy wrote:dont you agree lads and odd lass.

To be honest, no I disagree with you. I couldn't give a monkeys what times other people are doing, that is not what trackdays are about.

Nah its all about bragging rights ;)

You know the one where you slay an M3, chase a Ferrari and muller a Veyron :clown: \:D/

](*,)

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

loudandproud205 wrote:

You know the one where you slay an M3, chase a Ferrari and muller a Veyron :clown: \:D/

That's a morning's drive to work for me! :lol:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
kennym

Post by kennym »

Well I'm on the fence here,

I can see & acknowledge the trouble the red mist can cause as well as all the associated problems

but for my own & my cars development i do like/need a bench mark,

I don't see a problem with timing sections on a clear track to use as data as long as your prepared to abort the run if needs be

I think,....& hope the majority would agree its al about being sensible & respectful
Toyo Boy

Post by Toyo Boy »

charged wrote:
loudandproud205 wrote:

That's a morning's drive to work for me! :lol:

Great mornings work,showing how good some of the MR2s are.

Even rallycrossing one of my MR2s is fun in the modified class at Croft.
And I am sure Lauren would like 500+ bhp under or shall we say behind her.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Toyo Boy wrote:
Even rallycrossing one of my MR2s is fun in the modified class at Croft.
And I am sure Lauren would like 500+ bhp under or shall we say behind her.

If it's okay with you, can you leave me out of your comments as it's bordering on being personally abusive.

Cheers.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”