your lap times

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dan4

your lap times

Post by dan4 »

Would be nice to know peoples lap times at various circuits as a comparison...

Maybe post up quick spec and best time at circuit...

My only one so far:

Rev1 na. Exhaust manifold, hks exhaust, apexi filter
Lydden hill 53.2 with passenger
Rogue

Re: your lap times

Post by Rogue »

dan4

Post by dan4 »

Rogue wrote:MR2 Championship Lap Records:

http://www.750mc.co.uk/images/uploaded/ ... %20MR2.pdf

Cheers, is there a planned round at Lydden then?

Anyone else?!

And are the times at Silverstone on the old short section?
dan4

Post by dan4 »

Cmon people you must have some times....
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

Circuit: Bedford West
Time: 1.46
Condition: Dry
Car: Mk2 Rev3 na
Mods: None
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

dan4 wrote:Cmon people you must have some times....

Remember you can only time if testing or racing, not on trackdays as it invalidates the liability insurance.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
dan4

Post by dan4 »

Lauren wrote:
dan4 wrote:Cmon people you must have some times....

Remember you can only time if testing or racing, not on trackdays as it invalidates the liability insurance.

Wake up to the real world, plenty of people timing, gives an objective to the day and an idea of improvements. I wouldn't bother unless i timed myself...
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

dan4 wrote:Wake up to the real world, plenty of people timing, gives an objective to the day and an idea of improvements. I wouldn't bother unless i timed myself...

Sorry, Dan, I used to work for a trackday company, so know a bit about kicking people off trackdays for timing.

Trackdays are non-competitive by definition and if you start making it competitive that is when problems will happen. This is why I don't time myself, nor do I condone other's doing it.

If you are improving the car or your driving, there are ways other than timing your laps to work out where you are at.

It's supposed to be fun, remember.
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

What other other ways, Lauren?

Lauren wrote:

If you are improving the car or your driving, there are ways other than timing your laps to work out where you are at.

loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

Test days, sprints.

You shouldn't ever start timing as it encourages you to push harder, while you are meant to be at a non competitive event.

It only take the red mist to hit and apex crap unpredictable car makes an error and ouch :(

I use track days for test and improving the feel of the car as you can feel if its better from the drivers seat better than you can a lap time

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Easy, put a video camera in the car. Hey presto you film your fun and incidently find out roughly your lap times. :mrgreen:
dan4

Post by dan4 »

Why shouldn't you push harder, its the point of it all. You cannot predict lap times from feel that's bull, the real banzai laps I think are fast and on the limit are nowhere near my fastest

Whether you should time or not is not the issue, it happens much like street drifting etc but its not openly discussed and in fairness it should stay that way. What I wanted to know is peoples lap times not to be flamed, where or how I time isn't traced or noticed...
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

No its not the point of a trackday thats what racing/sprinting/hill climbs are for.

Track days are to enjoy the car you don't have to push it hard, hit every apex perfect you can just go out and enjoy your car for what it is in relative safety.

If you want to push it join a race club and take part in some events where everyone else is pushing it, leave track days to those that just want to enjoy there car at levels not for the road :D

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Quoting from my upcoming focussed events event:

"I accept that I am not participating in a timed speed trial or competition type event"

That doesnt say you cant time, it just says that you realise that your times dont mean anything and arent being used in competition.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

IMO it's people that time on trackdays that cause the problems.

I also think if people are obsessed with lap times they ought to go off and do competitive motorsport. There, lap times are everything.

In answering Mark's question, there are plenty of other ways to know if you are improving. Obviously one way is through tuition, or as I prefer, I work on certain corners and find it's pretty obvious when I've got a good line.

You can also tell by your corner entry and exit speeds, if you build up to higher speeds, ergo you are going faster. Or your terminal speed on the straight before braking or at a given landmark.

Dan, all TDO's will say you can't time as it invalidates their's and every one elses insurance.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Lauren wrote:
You can also tell by your corner entry and exit speeds, if you build up to higher speeds, ergo you are going faster. Or your terminal speed on the straight before braking or at a given landmark.

Dan, all TDO's will say you can't time as it invalidates their's and every one elses insurance.

I happen to know for a fact that what you have said there is not true. Ive read a few articles using GPS data to monitor speed, position and racing line and actually there are a number of racing lines which are counter intuitive. With some a slower entry and exit speed and apex speed is actually a quicker line through the corner due to the overall distance covered. Equally sacrificing exit speed for corner speed can be a quicker way through a sequence of corners. So basing it off what your speedo says isnt always going to tell you if you did better.

Also if thats the case about their insurance, the only thing i have to sign is their indemnity form. If theres any grey area thats their fault not mine. They also go on to say they time you themselves (implied during sessioned events) so where would that stand?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I think you are being pedantic indeed by saying that they 'time' you during sessioned trackdays! Blimey.

I think what you are trying to say is quite complicated, though generally the faster you go round the corner, the faster you are going to lap. In fact you could argue that it's your terminal speed down the longest straight which is really important. Of course as you say there are always going to be exceptions to the rules as you have pointed out, but that much is surely fairly obvious really.

Sometimes, it's good to actually enjoy yourself. Honestly, if you're getting this serious about it, why not go racing/sprinting etc? I look at trackdays as a chance to have a bit of fun, drive quickly, slide about as I wish, play with the car etc.

Timing isn't allowed on trackdays, all TDO's of repute will tell you that in the driver's briefing. When you've signed up to a trackday you will find there is at least smallprint and I'll bet you it says, no timing.
peterjf

track times

Post by peterjf »

Circuit: Bedford West
Event: MSV Howfast
Time: 1.26.8
Conditions : Cloudy/dry
Car: MR2 Turbo ( B3AST)
Mods: Significant

Howfast leader board: www.howfast.co.uk

Youtube: Bedford Howfast Toyota MR2 onboard lap-West Circuit.

Great event, good chance to see how quick you are without endangering other track users, just you and your car going for it.
dan4

Post by dan4 »

:roll: as said it happens much like you have chased someone up a slip road, it maybe against the rules but so be it. Because a few of you are on your high horse isn't going to stop all the people timing, its not possible for most to compete properly at the end of the day

Again i didn't ask an argument I asked for laptimes which I know people will have
brgbrm

Re: track times

Post by brgbrm »

Ah, so you're the one, I really enjoyed your video on youtube before I did my how fast, thanks!!

peterjf wrote:Circuit: Bedford West
Event: MSV Howfast
Time: 1.26.8
Conditions : Cloudy/dry
Car: MR2 Turbo ( B3AST)
Mods: Significant

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”