H4 HID Kit Interest?

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Andy.B

Re: H4 HID Kit Interest?

Post by Andy.B »

Had a massive discussion with me ol dad. :lol

Basicly he says i'm being over cautious. But if i do it like my design you will only have two fused positive wires of 16AWG coming from the battery. and the rest will be all local to each headlight unit. Thus keeping wire runs short, neat and tidy.

Im gonna purchase two 30 amp car relays from maplin tomorrow and if the weather isnt to bad i may get on with it at the weekend. Ill post pics of the setup for ya all if i do. :)
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

I have asked, see if he can help too...
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

EDIT: *V2*

right well being that its a wed night and i'm bored i sat and lay it all out using the battery harness.
turns out its pretty straightforward also.

*for fitting i am assuming the factory H4 bulb has been removed and the multiplug is just lying loose*

run the battery loom to be pos and neg terms on the battery.

run the 2 X 2 pin connectors to the ballasts.

Take the feed coming out of the ballasts and plug it into the light "element" device things (the HID Bulbs)

take the plug from the one of the headlights and plug it into the plug on the element unit (That side is now working)

The other side requires a tiny bit more work, plug the headlight loom (from the car) into the battery harness multiplug, and take the blue wire that comes out the back of that harness and put a female spade connector on it and plug it into the rightmost lower pin on the elements multiplug (this side works too now)

Tidy up loose wires and the like and it will all work.

This method has the HID element running through the harness, and the full beam element running through the toyota wiring. i may now do this as its easier than i had thought, my original wiring layout will also work peachy

I have a pic of this too
Babboon

Post by Babboon »

Looking forward to someone getting these working properly, being lazy I'm hoping 3s can fit them for me along with a few other bits at the same time.

One thing doesn't inpire me with confidence tho, and thats the lack of any manufacturer name or info supplied with them. From what I have seen on the forum's, these don't seem to be the same kit that PeteJ got.

Any clue on where these came from and who makes them + where to get replacemnt bits from in the future?
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

Baboon...its a different system.

These systems use a HID dip with a Xenon full beam, petes use a soliniod which moves the HID element to allow it to point up the way.

The bulbs are really the differance.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Kenny-Boost wrote:EDIT: *V2*

right well being that its a wed night and i'm bored i sat and lay it all out using the battery harness.
turns out its pretty straightforward also.

*for fitting i am assuming the factory H4 bulb has been removed and the multiplug is just lying loose*

run the battery loom to be pos and neg terms on the battery.

run the 2 X 2 pin connectors to the ballasts.

Take the feed coming out of the ballasts and plug it into the light "element" device things (the HID Bulbs)

take the plug from the one of the headlights and plug it into the plug on the element unit (That side is now working)

The other side requires a tiny bit more work, plug the headlight loom (from the car) into the battery harness multiplug, and take the blue wire that comes out the back of that harness and put a female spade connector on it and plug it into the rightmost lower pin on the elements multiplug (this side works too now)

Tidy up loose wires and the like and it will all work.

This method has the HID element running through the harness, and the full beam element running through the toyota wiring. i may now do this as its easier than i had thought, my original wiring layout will also work peachy

I have a pic of this too

I think that's pretty much what I was thinking, its how I have it laid out on my floor too, minus the extra bit at the end as I've not looked at the car yet.

Good work mate, you gonna get that pic up then :mrgreen:
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

if you've laid it out you will already be seeing the same thing mate.

the issue i have is the setup that allows the use of the ballasts without using the battery harness will represent a pain in the backside if not used!. Will need to properly insulate it or cut it off or something?
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

one thing if someone can answer they get 50 points.

As some of you may know when you flick your MR2 onto full beam the dip beam switches off, and when you flick back to dip beam the full beam goes off and the dip comes on. they don't operate together.

Now lets apply this to HID's

We know the HID's take a second or two to switch on and we know that the HID's are very bright.

So driving along with your REALLY bright dip beam and flick to main beam and the really bright dipped beam switches off and the meagre H1 style bulb takes over, which sucks. you blat down a backroad for 10 mins on full beam and a car comes towards you and you flick back to dip beam and the full switches off instantly but the HID dipped takes a second to kick back in. Sucks BADLY.

Is there a way to get the HID to stay on while the full beam is on i.e. when on dipped the car runs dipped, and when it runs full it runs dipped and full, this would cure both issues at the same time :)

Any takers?
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Kenny mate I think when you switch back the lights will be bright enough, just not super bright. Can't imagine you can have the dipped on with the mains!

Here's what I've done, are you similar?

The multi plugs at the main beam wiring go to the existing setup. The main multiplug goes to hopefully the existing setup too. The terminals go direct to the battery. This just leaves the 2 loose wires coming out of the main loom...

Btw the grey bit at the bottom doesn't hide anything!

Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

Well yeah, basically the multiplug i've NOT highlighted on your pic plugs directly into the wiring harness on the car.

On the other one, it DOESNT get plugged into the car, but battery harness plugs in instead, and you need to run the blue wire from the highlighted battery harness multiplug to the element multiplug thats been highlighted

Any clearer?
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Kenny-Boost wrote:Well yeah, basically the multiplug i've NOT highlighted on your pic plugs directly into the wiring harness on the car.

On the other one, it DOESNT get plugged into the car, but battery harness plugs in instead, and you need to run the blue wire from the highlighted battery harness multiplug to the element multiplug thats been highlighted

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v512/ ... d/edit.jpg

Any clearer?

Think your first post on this was a bit clearer :lol:

Here's how I understand it:

1. Plug one of the HID multiplugs (one with biggest loom wire for preference) into one of the existing car headlight socket plugs (that normally connects into the back of one of the H4 halogen bulbs).
2. Plug the battery harness multiplug into the other existing headlight socket plug (that normally connects into the back of one of the H4 halogen bulbs).
3. Run the blue wire from the harness into the remaining currently unconnected multiplug, identify correct pin!

With 1 and 2, being careful to ge the right pins matching the existing setup.

Is that right?
Kenny-Boost

Post by Kenny-Boost »

yeah mate thats exactly it :)
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Ok nice one.

3 more q's though :lol:

a. How should the 3 spade connectors from the HID elements be wired to fit the current car setup? (Looking from the front of the plug where the spade connectors come out)

b. Re. point 3 above, does the blue wire just needs to connect directly with one of the HID elements wires, so you don't need the plug on it? Which one wire does the blue one connect with then, is it the black one that doesn't connect with the fuse wire?

c. Is the battery harness multiplug wired correctly already to plug into the cars existing socket?

xxxx me man, my brain is completely mashed after this, I need to go to bed :lol:

:eye:

:thumleft:
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Good to hear that they have turned up, and you'll all having fun(?) trying to fit them. Not so helpful that the instructions are rubbish :(

WRT comments above, the supplier of these kits should/would be able to sort out replacement bulbs etc.
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Guys, I might need a little info/help here...

From your pictures, Leeroy, it looks as though the plugs on each of the elements (of which one plugs into the exsisting cars loom, and one gets fed from the blue wire on the battery harness??) are already made off?

Mine aren't :cry: I just have three wires (one red, two black) on each element loom, and two black plastic plugs #-o

Any chance someone can either put a photo up of how they're wired, or an explination please? With reference to either looking at the back of the plug where the wires would be pushed in, or vice versa?

Many thanks :)
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Slarty, I put those plugs in place loosely for the photo. Mine are loose as well, just with spade connectors on the end. This was my question to you, if you read it :tongue:

I'm waiting for someone to do it first :lol:
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Ooooooooooooooooh 8-[

You know what mate, I read all of those posts, half a dozen times and I still only just figured out what was need to install them #-o :lol:

Ok, looks like some investigating is required with a multimeter then :thumleft:
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Only half a dozen times, you're doing well my man :lol:

8-[
scottietse

Post by scottietse »

just got mine today....love the instruction....

pity it not for the lights #-o

what a pile of poo....pretty much know what to do but

1 where do thoughs flat plugs from the light go and in which slot

2 and what the hell is that multiplug for from the wiring loom with the ble and black wire??
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

scottietse,

No offence at all mate, but I can't make head nor tail of your question :-s

If you could rephrase it slightly, possibly one of us could help you out. I say possibly because I don't think any of us know for certain how the whole lot works :lol:

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”