At last,3 years on... 393hp@8200rpms' is this a little low?!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Owen @ Kent Car Craft

Re: At last,3 years on... 393hp@8200rpms' is this a little low?!

Post by Owen @ Kent Car Craft »

I shall keep you guys posted,gonna check the wastegate with my mittivac,see what happens.
nitey nite
*see,still smiling* =D> :mrgreen: =D> :mrgreen:
ENSMR2

Post by ENSMR2 »

Owen, you should have done a bit more research into Tuning Japanese.

You should definatly be hitting more then that at the wheels mate. Like Tim says, another 100 probably.

Are all ignition components etc new? You'll have to get the cam setup checked and then question the mapping. It can make a big difference.

My mate frequently tells me, "your turbo will be as laggy as I decide to make it" :lol:

Either way, you know the power isn't right for your spec mate. Start the hunt for the reason.
Last edited by ENSMR2 on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

If there is a problem in this case then (judging by reaction of the US site also) how do i go about sorting it having just paid the already excessive bill from Tuning Japanese?
Is it likely that the 3040 i have is not actually that,but something much much larger,causing late spool?
So,People who have seen or own a 3040,can you confirm with the pics on the US thread that the exhaust side of your turbo is roughly the same size as mine in (I mean,physical size,to look at) taking into account,the heatwrap on mine also.
:-k :| :?:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

HOLLY FECK!! 120bhp tranny losses, what the hell!!!
as said dude, i dont know much about tuning, but i read the post from ryan on the US thread which said the tuning company is awful, i dont know how true this is, and i really hope you sort it very soon, but you should be running WELL over than power...
rorys running that power at 1.1bar on a ct20b!

and im hoping to be not fair off on my small amount of mods...

i hope its just a tiny problem which can be easily fixed, and hope the mappers know what there doing next time!
gutted for you! :cry: :cry: , 393bhp sounds ace, but is totally wrong going by the whp figures....unless they messed up the whp figures i dont know....

GOOD LUCK DUDE!
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

:( :( :(
as said mate, something seriously wrong, mapping/ignition/fuelling etc.... :?: :?: :?:
:-k
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Elmo Owen wrote:I assume so,i just paid a bill for £1400 to Tuning Japanese (?) using good referance.

Says it all really. From what i've heard from reliable sources, i wouldn't touch TJ with a barge pole!!!

Get it mapped by a reputable tuner (Zen, Dave Rowe, Adrian @ Fensport). What amanagement are you using?

That turbo should spool ALOT earlier!!!
M5
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

1400 quid and they dont even provide an a/f plot :shock:

They must have screwed up the tuning, we have a gen3 over here with in/ex, 16psi that only makes around 5rwhp less.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Is the air temp of 36 degrees ambient?

Patrick
EarL

Post by EarL »

Owen, what engine management do you have?
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

Elmo Owen wrote:i can confirm the exh. cam is set at 0deg from what i can see,the pointer is dead in the middle

well i would say this is your problem. There is no way that the 264 cam should be set to stock toyota specs. There is chould be about 5 degrees difference between stock and hks setting. This would explain why your turbo doesnt spool till way past 5000rpm

i suggest you go get that checked out.
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

On the MR2OC site he says he is using Apexi PowerFC.
EarL

Post by EarL »

tubby_tony wrote:On the MR2OC site he says he is using Apexi PowerFC.

If it had been MoTeC, I would hev suggested going to see Dave Rowe. That figure sounds way out!

My motor is of a similar build, but I'm using 264's on both inlet and exhaust, and I'm expecting way more than that! :shock:
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!
steve b

Post by steve b »

Spacey wrote: £1400 is an effing massive amount of money for it not to be perfect!

I agree, my cars going to David Walker for the emerald3d (32x16 map) to be mapped and its £295 all in including variable boost mapping with ecu controlled solinoid.
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

I'm in S.E. Kent,in margate BTW,lol
Speculation aside,if there are any probs with the tune,shouldn't that have been spotted on the dyno?
How can i confirm the turbo spec?
Anyone with a GT30,does it look like this?::
Last edited by Owen @ Kent Car Craft on Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MR2lover

Post by MR2lover »

This is really upsetting to see a guy who has put shed loads of money into a mr2 and not get a good result at end. :cry: . If i could map a car mate i would come to yours now and sort it as well as degree cams. But i cant :cry:

how is james car getting on with power as your 2 car were very similar and being done at same time. maybe james put a restritor in your exhaust manifold so he was faster :mrgreen:
Spacey

Post by Spacey »

MR2lover wrote:how is james car getting on with power as your 2 car were very similar and being done at same time. maybe james put a restritor in your exhaust manifold so he was faster :mrgreen:

Think James' car is quite different tbh. 2.2 and quite low boost rather than running a bucket load of pressure. I don't think he gets the time to work on it #-o

Owen I really hope you get it sorted dude. Can't imagine how it feels and kinda worries me as I've still got this to go through. What did the mappers say regarding the power output? did they suggest it was low for the spec and put forward any reason or was it just job done and no feedback?
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

The mappers suggested a change in gear ratios to make best use of the rev range,which i found.. odd
But i have yet to find out why its producing these figures.
Having a bit of a dig around for info at the mo.
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

You need an a/f plot. Find a real dyno operator with a wideband meter, or even borrow a wideband setup and take the car down a B road and check it out. If its running pig rich which is the only way your power should be down with those mods I'd be heading back to the monkeys that tuned it to get my $$$$ back.
3S Service Centre

Post by 3S Service Centre »

Hi Chaps,

I havnt logged on especially to defend T.J they can do it well enough themselves, what i will say is horror stories run riot through forums and tuners/mappers at every turn often for personal gain.

The mapper made it perfectly clear why there is a distinct lack of power and this has not been made perfectly clear above, i feel i need clarifying that the mapping session didnt cost £1400 because this does not do justice to the good work carried out over 4/5 days.

Owens car has stacks stacks more to offer once the mappers comments have been addressed, and i really look forward to seeing it do well.

If it turns out T.J are wrong and i have recommend a bad company i will come to a arrangement with Owen on a tweak tune.

James
Last edited by 3S Service Centre on Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
call James on 01256 883386 or 07786073755
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Please remember the policy of IMOC guys - to report your own experiences is fine, to repeat hearsay is not useful.

T

Return to “Modifications”