At last,3 years on... 393hp@8200rpms' is this a little low?!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Owen @ Kent Car Craft

At last,3 years on... 393hp@8200rpms' is this a little low?!

Post by Owen @ Kent Car Craft »

My Rev 2 3sgte has finally finished its ordeal after 3yrs in the making.
It finalised at 393hp at the crank on a live/road tune today.
The boost didnt start to hike till 5.5krpm,the hp figure was taken at 8200rpm.
The boost was set to 1.7 bar.I think the no.s are a little low for my spec and VERY low for the amount of cash i have spent in the last few years.
My spec is as follows.
1 TMIC kit with 3" piping
2 80mm TB
3 Garrett GT3040 EB kit 46mm E.WG.
4 3" exhaust
5 720cc injectors
6 ross forged pistons
7 HKS 272 and 264 cams (in+ex respectively)
8 RMR centre feed
where am i going wrong with this?I've seen this turbo run huge numbers compared.The car is awkward to drive,although rewarding at 8krpm,when changing to the next gear ,you miss the powerband so its gonna be pretty tame down the 1/4
I'm lost and broke.
But still kinda happy :P :P
I will point out though,i havent enjoyed driving as much as i did/do driving my MR,the handling,even on stock suspension... is fantastic,i love it. \:D/ Thanks again to James and the guys at 3S.Props to you peeps as always :cyclops:This is the link to the US thread where i posted the very same..http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=203013
Last edited by Owen @ Kent Car Craft on Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
raptor95GTS

Re: At last,3 years on... 393hp@8200rpms' is this a little low?!

Post by raptor95GTS »

sorry, did I read 271 at the wheels and 100BHP loses?? Mikejc had 291 at the hubs on a CT20b and an uprated i/c but in the stock position. Something is way wrong with either the mapping or the rolling road is gubbed?
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

yeah does seem very low for that, i've seen alot higher numbers for that spec.

The car all mapped correctly?

Tim
xxxx
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

I assume so,i just paid a bill for £1400 to Tuning Japanese (?) using good referance.
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

£1400 for mapping alone :shock:

You serious

Tim
xxxx
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

yes
Serious.
I did have a number of other bits included,greddy profec B Spec2 boost controller supplied+fitted,an apexi boost pressure sensor,fuel filter,silicon tubing,
Labour was £700 inclusive.
Tim spent extra hours on the road mapping also added,the labour bill is what i expected TBH.
What bothers me is this turbo has been used time again in the US and produces 500hp+ every time @ the crank.
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

yeah thats the power levels i would be exspecting. I know the way they calculate fly is different which leads to higher figures.

What was your wheel figure?

Also what ecu are you using?

Have you got any fueling, a/f graphs so i can see the fueling?

Tim
xxxx
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

Just read the US thread. I can't comment on the boost leak, ignition components or cam timing they suggest, but having had professional involvement with cooling system fans I advise that unless a fan is shrouded to a core then it's highly unlikely to be effective at all.

With an unshrouded fan the air has a choice - flow through the relatively high restriction of the core, or go around the outside where there is almost no restriction. Without seeing a picture I'm guessing, but it seems likely that the air is coming up into the boot and then flowing every-easy-way it can and out the holes at the back without even going through the cooler. Can't say for sure without a pic though.
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

The wheel figure is there,its around 270rwhp in blue,
I have no AFR plots,i dont know what dyno they used,bit frustrating as i would have liked to see what it was too.
So you think those no's are correct?with 248lbft?
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

fans won't have much effect as long as the intake temps are low enough anyway, it would just help stop heat soak.

270rwhp, bud thats totally wrong, i would exspect atleast another 100bhp ontop of that.

I made that torque on my gt2860rs at 0.9bar, and exspect to make 300rwhp at 1.3 bar. Thats a turbo half the size of yours.

I would be asking for a/f graphs to be honest to check there work.

Tim
xxxx
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

the IC system is self contained,almost airtight,there is a large flow of air coming out of the holes permanently.
I'm seeing ~40deg C during a dual carriageway session.
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

what was the intake temps getting to on there dyno?

Tim
xxxx
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

I dont think they can provide them now,thats the point.
I plan to get a wideband on there to check seeing as the boss is already in the DP.
Its a very low figure for the set-up which i carefully picked.
I was driving about 45mins ago and beaten by a Pulsar with a 3071/FMIC and Mines ECU. :(they mentioned seeing up to 65deg on the dyno,not so good,so they couldnt dial more timing.
I still dont agree there is a ~150hp loss there (maybe i'm wrong,i havent yet tuned a turbo car,dont take this as gospel LOL)
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

somethings seriously not right there bud, And from what you've said not impressed by tuningjapanese or what ever it was called in the slightest.

I would want to have boost map, a/f fuel, also ideally intake temps so i can overlay them to identify problems or flat spots etc.

If everything working ok with the car? no leaks? bottlenecks in the intake system etc?

Tim
xxxx
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

1 I have 2 water temp gauges,both read ~80-85deg when driving (ok figure)
2 stable (although high) intake temps
3 no leaks in or around the motor
4 it runs very well aside,tickover is good (1k)
Tim,are you on MSN messenger?
TBDevelopments

Post by TBDevelopments »

well if they were getting heat soak on the dyno its because they can't replicate on the road conditions. they shouldn't just map the car to a heatsoaked system

Tim
xxxx
Owen @ Kent Car Craft

i can confirm the exh. cam is set at 0deg from what i can see,the pointer is dead in the middle
I can also confirm the torque figure is achievable from a CT20b,i think somethings wrong here..~100hp drivetrain losses also.i cant work out if its in 4th or 5th gear :-k
Last edited by Owen @ Kent Car Craft on Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spacey

Post by Spacey »

Hi mate, seen you car at 3S a numebr of times in the past and was there when it was fired up once. Sounded like a monster!!

Well surprised by those results. As you say I'd expect them to be much higher for your car. On my old tubby engine I got more torque than that (260lbft) and only 35bhp less at the wheels with just bolt on mods to a standard rev3 3SGTE / CT20b running 1.2 bar. I'm sure you should be distorying figures like these.

From what I've heard Tuning Japanese really know their stuff so this is a little concerning. I think I'd be taking it back mate. £1400 is an effing massive amount of money for it not to be perfect!
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

This musta been the car i saw sitting at 3S a few months ago :P ...nice boot mount IC.
Watashi wa Ant desu, BAKA!!!

Return to “Modifications”