rev 3 turbo v evo 8 or 9

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Bry

rev 3 turbo v evo 8 or 9

Post by Bry »

Had a traffic light grand prix moment with either and evo 8 or 9 (look the same from the front to me) He was following me off of the motorway up to the traffic lights when he pulled up along side me in the lane that turns right back onto the motorway we'd just come off of so guessed he was going to try and floor it past me when the lights changed and cut in front. The lights changed and sure enough he floored it (as did I ) in 1st gear there was nothing in it, 2 nd gear still neck and neck till I hear his car hitting the rev limiter and I still had a 1000rpm to go which allowed me to pull a few feet on him then into 3rd gear and pulled a car length on him where he then tucked in behind me. Was expecting him to nail me in 1st but was pleasently surprised at how well my old girl did, think it would have been closer if the EVO had longer gearing. :lol:
Watch out OZ here I come !!
RobCrezz

Re: rev 3 turbo v evo 8 or 9

Post by RobCrezz »

Good stuff. I had a go with a black evo8 fq (not sure which), before I had got new intercooler and raised boost, and he pulled away from me, not massive but he was pulling. I would like to have another go now.
Bry

Post by Bry »

RobCrezz wrote:Good stuff. I had a go with a black evo8 fq (not sure which), before I had got new intercooler and raised boost, and he pulled away from me, not massive but he was pulling. I would like to have another go now.

I think if he hadn't have bounced off he limiter in 2nd for so long we'd have been equal in 3rd gear too, anyway it's not the car it's the driver :lol: O:)
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

The driver has a lot more to do with these little GP's than people think.

You only need to look at a days worth of 1/4 miles times to see how much it can vary.

You never really know what your gonna get with an Evo as they start at about 260bhp and go right up to 400bhp in standard trim levels. Then of course there's the likelihood some one has tinkered with theirs.

Bry, do you not have your silver rev4 any more?
b4rk3r

Post by b4rk3r »

Had a play with an EVO 6 mak yesterday, Completely equal up to 4th, at which i started ever so slightly to catch him up. Had a chat with him after, and he claimed a dyno of 380bhp, which he is now questioning lol
Bry

Post by Bry »

matt_mr2t wrote:The driver has a lot more to do with these little GP's than people think.

You only need to look at a days worth of 1/4 miles times to see how much it can vary.

You never really know what your gonna get with an Evo as they start at about 260bhp and go right up to 400bhp in standard trim levels. Then of course there's the likelihood some one has tinkered with theirs.

Hi mate, no sold the silver one a few years ago to Skip123 on this site, I then had an s15 which I sold to pay for my emmigration fee's to go to OZ, but then got bored waiting for the visa to arrive (took a year) so bought the yellow rev 3 turbo to tide me over till I go later this year. Skip is putting the silver mr2 up for sale soon. Agree on the driver coment, I reckon I'd give some of these drivers with there fast cars a run for there money in my diesel Yaris :lol:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Bry wrote:
RobCrezz wrote:Good stuff. I had a go with a black evo8 fq (not sure which), before I had got new intercooler and raised boost, and he pulled away from me, not massive but he was pulling. I would like to have another go now.

I think if he hadn't have bounced off he limiter in 2nd for so long we'd have been equal in 3rd gear too, anyway it's not the car it's the driver :lol: O:)

;)

Mine wasnt a TLGP, it was coming off a roundabout, on a damp day (excuses lol) my back end twitched a bit, he just gripped and went, but I hung on, he wasnt pulling away much. ;)
Bry

Post by Bry »

RobCrezz wrote:
Bry wrote:

;)

Mine wasnt a TLGP, it was coming off a roundabout, on a damp day (excuses lol) my back end twitched a bit, he just gripped and went, but I hung on, he wasnt pulling away much. ;)

brave man, if it's damp i drive like miss daisy 8-[
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Bry wrote:
RobCrezz wrote:
Bry wrote:

;)

A little bit of slide never hurt anyone ;)

I actually find the backend of the MR2 fairly adjustable as long as I dont get on the power too early, otherwise its brown pants :oops:
Bry

Post by Bry »

RobCrezz wrote:
Bry wrote:
RobCrezz wrote:

;)

A little bit of slide never hurt anyone ;)

:oops:

Tell that to mr plod :lol:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Or my car and the fence it went through.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

matt_mr2t wrote:Or my car and the fence it went through.

Oh dear!

You should try a S13 200sx, my old one would go sideways so easy it was hilarious.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I bet they're a bit easier to pull back in line when they go though arent they?
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

matt_mr2t wrote:I bet they're a bit easier to pull back in line when they go though arent they?

Really really easy, you can have tons of fun with one, they dont grip as much as a MR2, but when it does let go its very easy to get back into line, its really easy just to hold a little slide.

Very fun cars.
skipp123

Post by skipp123 »

RobCrezz wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:I bet they're a bit easier to pull back in line when they go though arent they?

Really really easy, you can have tons of fun with one, they dont grip as much as a MR2, but when it does let go its very easy to get back into line, its really easy just to hold a little slide.

Very fun cars.

interesting...... im looking into these as we speak :thumleft:

im thinking about a cheep skidder at the moment, id like a nice clean looking s13 with a nice set of dishy wheels, sorted suspension and a sr20det lump :thumleft:

lol

anthonyg

Post by anthonyg »

matt_mr2t wrote:The driver has a lot more to do with these little GP's than people think.

The 260's are only available in an Evo8, you can tell the difference as they have the rubbish little spoiler on the back though obviously they can be replaced with the 'proper' one!

All evo's (4 onwards) were 280bhp standard except the Evo 6 Extreme up until they started making MR editions in the Evo8 onwards!

Although, my mate had an Evo 4 with a couple of mods that just couldn't keep up with my standard Makinen Edition, every time we raced, either straight line or twisties it just couldn't keep the pace!
Turbo97

Post by Turbo97 »

Down at crail on the 1/4 mile yesterday i had a blast with an evo 7 i think....300bhp and i blew that into the even with me missing 2nd gear!

Idid get a much better start but even he had brought that back due to my missed gear, i still pulled away nicely.

On the other hand, same day had a blast with a 300bhp impreza, that was extremely tight but i managed to pip him with the nose :D

The Mister done me proud yesterday :D
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I cant help but think that the 200SX is one of the blandest looking cars ever made. Only the S15 Silvia catches my eye.
ryan

Post by ryan »

matt_mr2t wrote:I cant help but think that the 200SX is one of the blandest looking cars ever made. Only the S15 Silvia catches my eye.

I always thought the S13 was the most distinctive (in the pic), I remember in 1989 when they came out, (I was 12!), I wanted one soo bad, nearly as badly as I wanted the Silvia before it!
...and I couldnt even drive!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I just think they all look boring and annonymous.

Next to other jap sports cars they're miles behind.

They make the Ford Proble look slightly interesting :shock:

Return to “Driving Experiences”