kyb variations

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

crazybrightman

kyb variations

Post by crazybrightman »

hi, ive just fitted a set of kyb shocks to a mk1b. at the front it had the excel-g shocks that come in a red box and at the rear it had the shocks the come in the black/silver box. to me the front shocks seem to have a fair bit stronger damping force than the rears is that normal? iirc both models are designed just to be standard replacements?

cheers, neil.
4agte on the way
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: kyb variations

Post by LimeyMk1 »

KYB do uprated and OEM rate shocks, looks like you may have uprated fronts and standard rate rears. :-k

Def worth a call to the folks you bought them off. Was there much of a difference in price?
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

they are from the guy in the states everyone seems to use, cant remember their ebay name off the top of my head. ive checked the part numbers and they come up as standard replacements they are 2 different models though. :-k

i shall have to see what it drives like when all the snow clears off!
4agte on the way
N!co

Post by N!co »

I'm looking for a pair of KYBs myself.
What's the reason you bought them off Ebay? Camskill have them cheaper on their website.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

N!co wrote:I'm looking for a pair of KYBs myself.
What's the reason you bought them off Ebay? Camskill have them cheaper on their website.

There's a chap in the US who (when the exchange rate was better) would send a full set of KYBs for under £150.
kirsty

Post by kirsty »

I ended up buying them from the states ebay guy too as Camskill was out of stock for months when I wanted them . . . . only problem was I was a bit thick and bought the 1a set instead of the 1b ones!!! :oops:
Fitted the fronts, but haven't got round to sorting out swapping the rear ones for the correct fit :(
Kooga

Post by Kooga »

I bought these ones and had the same colour boxes. Once fitted they seem to be fine...mind you nothing could have been worse than the ones that were in it, every single one was split and leaking!
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Limeymk1 wrote:

There's a chap in the US who (when the exchange rate was better) would send a full set of KYBs for under £150.

When I got mine it was £105 delivered (when the pound was good and the $ was crap) I miss those days :cry:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”