[FINALIZED] 92 Mk2 Rev2 GTS Turbo - Added Photos

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ugli-stix

92 Mk2 Rev2 GTS Turbo - Added Photos

Post by ugli-stix »

After being forced to buy a more 'sensible' family car I am putting my MR2 up for sale - note that I'm based in Twickenham, TW2.

Details

Model: 1992 Mk2 GTS (tintop, not T-Bar), J-Reg
Colour: Black
Mileage: ~120,000 on the clock (if i remember correctly) - but the first 110,000 of that was in km - so actually talking about 80,000 miles.
First Registered in the UK: Nov 1999

Mods:

Wheels: Volk GTP's, 17 inch, staggered - 215/40 on the front 245/40 on the rear (very wide at the rear!)
Exhaust: Apexi Hayabusa and a blitz downpipe (decat'd)
Induction Kit: Apexi
Boost Control: Manual boost controller & Boost Cut Defender
Intercooler: HKS
Steering wheel: Momo installed - but will supply original as well
Dials: Speedhut, blue with "MR2" text
Interior: Blue, sprayed dash - but I have all the original parts if you want to revert to standard.
Gauges: Oil pressure and boost gauges on driver-side pillar
Stereo: Pioneer DEH-8400MP

Other parts: I also have a 2nd ECU - which I was told was a TOM's ECU... but it 'looks' like a standard unit and I never saw any improvement so took it out.

Now - onto the bad points:

Bad Points:

1. Just failed its MOT - see below for full details.
2. Last time I took it to 3S for a service (I take it there this time each year and was about to go again soon) they said the front shock were on their way out, £70 each+fitting to fix with 3S.
3. Tax runs out in Feb 09.
4. Alloys need a bit of TLC
5. I've just noticed there is a scuff on the drivers side rear vent panel. :evil:

There were 8 failures on the MOT:

1. Parking brake lever has no reserve travel.

2. Front (both) headlamp aim too high

3. Offside rear registration plate lamp not illuminating

4. Offside power steering ram(s) leaking from a failed component

5. Rear exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases

6. Nearside Rear brake binding

7. Parking brake efficiency below requirements

8. Front brakes imbalanced

And 2 advisories:

1. Both front coil springs corroded

2. Nearside front spot light insecure.

Overall it seems to be brake related - I should also point out that the car had not been driven for about three months and was driven straight to the MOT station (probably not a good idea!). The local mechanic who took it to the MOT station on my behalf said he thought the "major leak" of the exhaust is because I forgot to put the silencer/bung in place - it passed all the emission tests. I know that when it was fitted the guys at 3S couldn't find a gasket to fit it so they used some exhaust paste - perhaps that just needs remedying?

Can't really comment on the power steering issue - I do check/top up the power steering fluid regularly and hadn't noticed it drinking more than usual! I had the power steering rack changed sometime around 2003/04.

It also had a new cambelt fitted 2 years ago by 3S (3-4000 miles ago).

All in all I've had the car since 2003 and I can honestly say that this is the first year that anything major has come up in the MOT (previously was small things such headlight aim, a loose horn contact, etc)

I have an old pic from a few years ago in my garage (different wheels now) - but I'll through up some pictures of it once I have a chance to take some at the weekend.

Not sure what it is worth - I haven't been looking at MR2 prices for a long time now. I'm open to offers.

Feel free to ask any questions!

John

Some photos taken this morning as promised. Sod's Law dictated that it would be raining!

Close ups of the wheels as requested:

Engine Bay:

Scuff on the rear vent (driver's side):

Last edited by ugli-stix on Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ugli-stix

Re: [FINALIZED] 92 Mk2 Rev2 GTS Turbo - Added Photos

Post by ugli-stix »

Even if you're not interested could someone let me know what it is worth? I realise it has no MOT and will need trailering.

Essentially I don't want to stubbornly hold out for an unreasonable price - but at the same time I don't want to just give it away!
Tommo-GTS

Post by Tommo-GTS »

from your v.honest description it sounds like a neglected car, however when you see the pics it looks really well looked after. If you were to sort out all the little niggles, and get it MOT'd, a. it would sell a lot quicker and b. you will get a good price (in its current state - buyers will have a lot of reasons to knock down your price as it stands now) hundreds to tow it away etc. just my opinion - Good luck with it all mate.
:)
crazygary

mr2 turbo

Post by crazygary »

Value: £900
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Value of a 95 rover coupe: 400, if that. haha :thumleft:
stev

mr2 turbo

Post by stev »

i recon you no what all the cost of part required. you can pic up one for 1150 to 1500 with mot tax , but i
recon any more than £750 your a winner
might be interested
crazygary

Post by crazygary »

sheppy wrote:Value of a 95 rover coupe: 400, if that. haha :thumleft:

I know ur just joking but a bit of trivia for you :D

check my garage then wiki 'fdh coupe' - quite a rare car tbh and they command a higher price than the normal coupes due to the extras and usually better condition/lower mileage. They were registered in 1995 but not sold until 1999.

Don't knock it until you've tried it!! [-(

Also, i buy and sell mr2's and i feel my valuation of this vehicle is very realistic. I have, however, expressed no interest in this particular example.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

crazygary wrote:
sheppy wrote:Value of a 95 rover coupe: 400, if that. haha :thumleft:

I know ur just joking but a bit of trivia for you :D

check my garage then wiki 'fdh coupe' - quite a rare car tbh and they command a higher price than the normal coupes due to the extras and usually better condition/lower mileage. They were registered in 1995 but not sold until 1999.

Don't knock it until you've tried it!! [-(

Also, i buy and sell mr2's and i feel my valuation of this vehicle is very realistic. I have, however, expressed no interest in this particular example.

haha, totally messin about man, my missus had one a while ago, i really liked it! i drove the 1.6 version as well and was amazed by how nippy it was for a 1.6!!!
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

PM'd
Valentino MR2

Post by Valentino MR2 »

pm'd
Feedback Bot

Post by Feedback Bot »

This Sale has been completed. The Buyer was Valentino MR2