airbag light on! what to do??? help! **FIXED**

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

Re: airbag light on! what to do??? help! **FIXED**

Post by jimGTS »

lol, i do use it all the time...15mpg! lol...

but surely this is the sort of thing i need sorting out!

the constant use it gets at the weekend is why i checked it over and saw that my screamer pipe was about 1-2drives away from ripping off!
luckily i saw it in time when i was checking the car out (which i wouldnt have done if i just "drove it" and not thought about a quick check over)....
so need that rewelded!

aem water/meth to go on, a greddy type S bov and flange welded into the hardpipe (currently it runs NO bov!)....
CRN discs and pads, and i should be done for a little while...
(bar clean the bay and hose it up)

:thumleft:

but now looking like i need an aftermarket wheel ](*,)
cosmos

Airbag

Post by cosmos »

Jim i remember that the new Mini had a problem with the airbag warning light coming on.In the USA there was a BMW recall in the UK there was no recall and each case is dealt with individually so as to not acknowledging the problem for a recall. The problem was that the seat runners chaffed against the harness and eventually wore away the insulation. Just a thought are you still insured as the airbags were a mandatory safety fitment to conform with legislation which insurers recognise, if they can find a loophole in the event of an accident they will declair cover void.
There are more cowboys in insurance than the Wild West goes the phrase...........
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Not 100% sure what your trying to say.
That if I fit an aftermarket wheel am still illegal? And/or am illegal at the moment?

If it can be fixed I will, but not silly toyota prices.

If there is an error code, it can be fixed surely? Without that much hassle?
This has only recently come on.

I have aftermarket recaro seats, so the runners, I asume could have done something then?

Any suggestions fully welcomed cosmos....
???
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Very good chance you have knocked a wire somewhere Jim, as I said before nearly all the airbag faults I see are loose or damaged wiring not fault airbags.

Retrace you steps and check all connectors on airbags, I would start with your glovebox then go onto steering wheel.

I doubt any of your airbags will work with this light on so bare that in mind when driving, insurance maybe invalid due to fault.

How many airbags does a MR2 have it cant be many.

Driver, passenger and maybe pretensioners on the seatbelt?

That means you really only have a couple of places that could be faulty.

Get looking and report back.

You did a headgasket change man, a loose wire will be like making toast and jam if you were a chef. 8-[ :lol:

Oh and stop being a big girl, worse case your airbag goes off and you have to get a new one. :shock:
cosmos

Airbag

Post by cosmos »

Jim as i understand it if your car is fitted with airbags they should work, if you have an accident and it comes to light that your airbags were faulty and did not inflate your insurers will say your car did not conform to legislative safety standards and could cancell your claim/policy, so you could be uninsured.
In short if any safety components are not working or are removed then in the event of a crash you are not insured. If you swap a Toyota steering wheel fitted with an airbag for an aftermarket wheel with no airbag you are nullifying your policy.
A car is rated and awarded an insurance group (mr2=20) and safety features are taken into account for this process if your airbag warning light is on the airbag wont work.
Hope this is useful not meaning to be alarmist, good luck with the problem/solution.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

my horn doesnt work either...

didnt notice til yesturday...

related????
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Very good chance it is.

Most airbag/horn systems are earthed through the same contact ring in steering wheel. \:D/

Get the damn steering wheel of Jim and get it fixed. :thumleft:
L0rdMike

Re: Airbag

Post by L0rdMike »

cosmos wrote:Jim as i understand it if your car is fitted with airbags they should work, if you have an accident and it comes to light that your airbags were faulty and did not inflate your insurers will say your car did not conform to legislative safety standards and could cancell your claim/policy, so you could be uninsured.

Not true. [-X
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ok i had a ton of stuff out today in the interier....

airbag part off...
all the airbag ecu exposed under the heater control...

couldnt see any damage anywhere....

also a bit confused how the horn works....
only wires under the airbag were a wheel earth i think.
was a connector with 2 ports on the column, one not connected to anything, and the other with a tiny wire and spade connector just earthing the wheel i think???
and the yellow spiral cable...
no wires for a horn that people talk about....

did a search and the horns are positioned behind the front rad, i will check these out tomorrow.

i tried to follow the bgb for the airbag, but couldnt get any resistance from the spiral cable airbag end...

the spiral cable and its connector right at the bottom of the steering column is an absolute beast to get to. didnt have a chance to disconnect it and check for resistance here...

any ideas?

thanks

ps, i have an aftermarket wheel in my insurance mods, as was carried over from my rev2, so if i did have a momo wheel or whatever, they know about it, so surely the same as no airbag working?
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/ ... airbag.htm

Got to "Troubleshoot" (seventh bullet point down), then AB-57 (half way down the page) check continuity as described all checks should be less than 1ohm.

My money is on the spiral cable.............I say this co`s its one that I have to change regularly on Merc. Vans.

I also suggest getting someone else with a car with airbag system fitted on it and swap some stuff over to confirm everything as I bet these arnt cheap from Toyota.

Merc charge upward of £100 to the public for the spiral cable I regularly change and you dont want to be wasting money.

Lewis.

P.S you horn has 1 wire as its the earth switch.
cosmos

Horns

Post by cosmos »

Jim i have accessed my horns in through the front rad air intake up to the right and up to the left inboard of the foglights, its tight but can just about disconnect the plugs for a check. Good Luck.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Ok had another look today.
I was following that bgb guide anyway lewis.

From my findings I think it's the spiral cable.

Couldn't get any resistance fromthe cable on task 2 or 3.
And going by the chart, if no resistance on task 3, it's the cable.
So I didn't need to go to 4-6 as that asumes the cable is good.

Also. Horn.
Saw that there are 2 connections on each horn. The drivers side one had 2 clips connected. The passenger one had none. Saw one connector dangling, so connected that, but nothing to connect to the other connection.

So guess I need to find a cable to try out.
Sound about right?

And ideas bout the horn???
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Sounds like you are getting there Jim, spiral cable it is then. 8)

Get yourself a cable GTS Chris would be a good bet for the right one.

Borrow if you can just for peace of mind that its definatly at fault but I`d also get a price for a new one. you never know Mr.T isnt that bad sometimes.

Cant say I`m suprised though the spiral cable seems to be a weak point due to its design.

Horn.......
Check for voltage at all the wires that are connected/disconnected to the horns.

Check for voltage at the horn fuse.

Finally check that the horn button wire has continuity to earth when pressed. :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

thanks

i realyl couldnt see many wires, if any, going to and from the horns.
and none from the steering column. so bit confused where i should be looking.

ive seen that theres a large horn fuse in the frunk, in the little panel thing.
but not sure how to check if its good or not.

i swear i remember seeing some resistance tests on these big fuses on the bgb, but cant find it anywhere on there.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

oh, i also couldnt find bu88er all about the horn on the bgb either.
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

jimGTS wrote:oh, i also couldnt find bu88er all about the horn on the bgb either.

http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/electrical/ ... agrams.htm

13th bullet point down "turn signal and hazard, horn"

Its just a wiring diagram on the second page down.

Do your hazards/indicators still work?

They are on the same circuit.

15A fuse marked "haz-horn" next to "headlight" fuses in frunk. :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Cable is 150+vat from toyota pmsl.

Yeh saw that wiring diagram, but that isn't much use to me, another language, lol
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

If the horn is the same on your car as mine, then there are 2 horns mounted at the front in front of the aircon rad, one on each side. There's a wire that connects the 2 of them together, which has a ring connector in the middle of it which should be connected to earth. On mine, that ring connector was bolted to one of the front bumper mounts - I left it disconnected once and failed an MOT as a result. The other wire from the horns runs in a loom above the aircon cannister on the passenger side front corner.

Also the haz/horn fuse does *not* stop the indicators from working, but if blown will prevent the hazard switch from working. It doesn't do the same as disconnectin the hazard switch though, which will disable the indicators.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
revturbo

Post by revturbo »

not sure if its been mentioned but most airbag 'triggers' are under the drivers seat.
i havent got airbags so i can check my own to see if this is the case but just have a look under the seat they look like inline fuses
hth
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ok ive got a rev4/5 spiral cable to try out, only cost me £30 from gtschris
so hope to try this out.

the fitement does look different to my car tho, so i may have to cut and splice the connectors over.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”