Car is now dead

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

omracing

Car is now dead

Post by omracing »

My car has sat on the drive for over a couple of weeks and now when I try to start the car absolutely nothing, no ignition lights, no noise, no nothing !! completely dead.

I'm assuming its the battery, the only thing I can think of was that the clock was staying on when the ignition was switched off.
Is this a normal problem with the MR2 ?
Red MR2 Mk1a - Rose SOLD
Blue MR2 SC conversion 180 bhp - Lightning
Zirax

Re: Car is now dead

Post by Zirax »

Given the weather we've had the cold could have just killed the battery. If you have a charger just put the battery on charge overnight. Otherwise, give it a jump and a run around the block for 20-30 mins. Then see if the battery is still toast.
Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 »

Mine sat on my drive for 4 weeks completely exposed to the elements and started first time without even thinking about it :shock: .

I did have a new battery in the spring though. I admit I was expecting some trouble, it is nearly 20 years old so was very pleasantly suprised when it roared into life quite happily. It seemed to have not suffered at all from the wait in all weathers and had a lovely day in it yesterday.

I did have to dry the interior out but new seals soon so that should be sorted too.
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Kateg28 wrote:Mine sat on my drive for 4 weeks completely exposed to the elements and started first time without even thinking about it :shock: .

I did have a new battery in the spring though. I admit I was expecting some trouble, it is nearly 20 years old so was very pleasantly suprised when it roared into life quite happily. It seemed to have not suffered at all from the wait in all weathers and had a lovely day in it yesterday.

I did have to dry the interior out but new seals soon so that should be sorted too.

We have better weather in Herts too dont we Kate :wink: :mrgreen: < jinx
Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 »

Doesn't feel like it right now. I will be very pleased to get those new seals, had it washed yesterday and sat there watching the water dripping, nay cascading, through the seals.

And someone has scratched my car!!!!!!!!! It wasn't there in the morning but was there in the afternoon, could have been the washers but cannot prove it. Deep too, won't polish out, will need to touch it up and spray it. GRRR :mad:
Tony jinxy froude

Oooopps i can feel a bad week coming on :shock: seals will be here soon for you :pray: then the fun begins :mrgreen: , Jinx
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Out of interest how much are new seals for the mk1?

Kate Do you want me to try with some of my new toys to get out the scratch may not remove it completely but will make it alot better than by hand. :thumleft:
Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:Oooopps i can feel a bad week coming on :shock: seals will be here soon for you :pray: then the fun begins :mrgreen: , Jinx

Estimated delivery was 2-3 weeks from 4th December but Christmas post might delay it a bit. Then I have to get them fitted. :D

Tiny, they cost me about USD204 including postage so approx £150. The website was kbox.ca, Jnixy very kindly gave me details. I will PM you the link

As for your toy...., apart from the obvious fun comments, I am intrigued. Do I sense a day out for you in Herts where I supply some food and beers (as well as costs) for Jinxy and you (and anyone else who wants to join the party) and we fit some seals and see what we can do about the bodywork? :whistle:
Tony jinxy froude

Ah 8) did you mention food \:D/ Tiny's on a diet, so i'll have his portion :mrgreen: :mrgreen: yeah seems like a grand idea, not sure about the bodywork at this time of year, but seals are a definate :thumleft: , Jinx
Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 »

Feel like I hijacked this thread :oops: so started a new one on my seals and then we can concentrate on sorting out omracing's possible problem on this one.

Will have to wait until they post an update to see if it is a battery problem
omracing

Post by omracing »

Kateg28 wrote:Feel like I hijacked this thread :oops: so started a new one on my seals and then we can concentrate on sorting out omracing's possible problem on this one.

Will have to wait until they post an update to see if it is a battery problem

Don't worry, you obviously bought the seals from Jody in Canada.

I meet up with Jody and his MR2 buddies every year when I'm over there. Nice bunch of lads. I always seem to be swapping amber side lights for clear ones when I'm over there, they love the UK spec ones.

I'm currently recovering from an op, so I've not had the chance to put the battery on charge yet, but my main question was should the clock stay on when the ignition is turned off ?? :-k
Red MR2 Mk1a - Rose SOLD
Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 »

I did indeed purchase them from Jody. Fair prices and fantastic service, also arrived today, 2 weeks from Canada!! Would definitely recommend them.

My clock is off when ignition is off. Does that help at all?
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

omracing wrote:should the clock stay on when the ignition is turned off ?? :-k

No. Should go blank, At least it does on my 1a.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
jimi

Post by jimi »

It definitely should go off.
It does still draw some current (milliamps) even when off for the memory circuit which keeps the clock at the correct time.
If it's staying on then there is something wrong. It's possible that if someone has joined both supplies to the stereo unit together then it could be back feeding the clock (among other things) I've seen this before.
The head unit should have 2 separate 12v supplies
Grey wire (I'm assuming its a 1b) should have +12v controlled by the ignition switch and is fed from the 15A Radio/CIG fuse
Blue/yellow wire should have a constant +12v from the 15A Haz/Radio fuse
It could also be a faulty ignition switch that is keeping it on.
With any of these faults it wouldn't take that long ( a week or so ) in this weather to completely flatten the battery.
HTH
Jimi
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

Kateg28 wrote:
Tony jinxy froude wrote:Oooopps i can feel a bad week coming on :shock: seals will be here soon for you :pray: then the fun begins :mrgreen: , Jinx

Estimated delivery was 2-3 weeks from 4th December but Christmas post might delay it a bit. Then I have to get them fitted. :D

Tiny, they cost me about USD204 including postage so approx £150. The website was kbox.ca, Jnixy very kindly gave me details. I will PM you the link

As for your toy...., apart from the obvious fun comments, I am intrigued. Do I sense a day out for you in Herts where I supply some food and beers (as well as costs) for Jinxy and you (and anyone else who wants to join the party) and we fit some seals and see what we can do about the bodywork? :whistle:

I might join in too, i might be able to help a bit, all depends if i can find where you live :oops: as Jinxy knows even with sat nav i get lost #-o
You will need loads of burgers for the Jinx, him and food go together even more than Mk1's :)
omracing

Post by omracing »

jimi wrote:It definitely should go off.
It does still draw some current (milliamps) even when off for the memory circuit which keeps the clock at the correct time.
If it's staying on then there is something wrong. It's possible that if someone has joined both supplies to the stereo unit together then it could be back feeding the clock (among other things) I've seen this before.
The head unit should have 2 separate 12v supplies
Grey wire (I'm assuming its a 1b) should have +12v controlled by the ignition switch and is fed from the 15A Radio/CIG fuse
Blue/yellow wire should have a constant +12v from the 15A Haz/Radio fuse
It could also be a faulty ignition switch that is keeping it on.
With any of these faults it wouldn't take that long ( a week or so ) in this weather to completely flatten the battery.
HTH
Jimi

Thanks for all your responses, I did manage to charge the battery today and the car started first time, so at least I know the battery is good.

I've disconnected the clock for the moment, until I get a chance to check as per Jimi's post. I know my other MR2 also suffered the same problem, but that was after I wired in a new stereo #-o Yes I pitched the live from the clock ](*,)
Red MR2 Mk1a - Rose SOLD
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

jimi wrote:It could also be a faulty ignition switch that is keeping it on.
Jimi

Yeh, I had this on my NA a few years back: was my first Mk1 so I was learning the ropes.... :roll:

The cause of mine was a very worn ignition key / barrel...!
Basically, when I turned the engine off I could just pull the key out.
It should be locked in while the ignition is turned to position 1, requiring you to press the button on the barrel in order to turn the ignition to the fully off position, IYSWIM?

Basically, mine was always in position 1, and the LED clock was always on.... :thumleft:

Result: flat battery every week or so...current draw, around 100mA...! :roll:
G.
omracing

Post by omracing »

greglebon wrote:
jimi wrote:It could also be a faulty ignition switch that is keeping it on.
Jimi

Yeh, I had this on my NA a few years back: was my first Mk1 so I was learning the ropes.... :roll:

The cause of mine was a very worn ignition key / barrel...!
Basically, when I turned the engine off I could just pull the key out.
It should be locked in while the ignition is turned to position 1, requiring you to press the button on the barrel in order to turn the ignition to the fully off position, IYSWIM?

Basically, mine was always in position 1, and the LED clock was always on.... :thumleft:

Result: flat battery every week or so...current draw, around 100mA...! :roll:
G.

Thanks I missed that part of Jimi's response. Thats it I never have to press the button to release the key :clap:
Red MR2 Mk1a - Rose SOLD
Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 »

Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve wrote:
Kateg28 wrote:

I might join in too, i might be able to help a bit, all depends if i can find where you live :oops: as Jinxy knows even with sat nav i get lost #-o
You will need loads of burgers for the Jinx, him and food go together even more than Mk1's :)

Ok sounds like a plan but.. Sat Nav won't find where I live, it is 2/4 mile from nearest tarmac. I will try and find a date and need to save up for the food.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:Ah 8) did you mention food \:D/ Tiny's on a diet, so i'll have his portion

Cheeky Git!

dont worry about money a cold bottle of bud and a slice of pizza will keep me happy. :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”