Speed Culture............. Any Good???

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ELS

Speed Culture............. Any Good???

Post by ELS »

I've been looking to freshen up the looks of my 2 for a while now and since the exchange rate is so poor buying an authentic japanese kit doesn't really seem like an option. :evil:

For example i rang envy performance the other day and they quoted me a wopping £2000 :shock: :shock: :shock: on average to import most authentic kits to your door, i.e. front bumper, rear bumper and side skirts.

Once upon a time i heard good stories of replica making companies such as the likes of stylingfx and neo designs but all i seem to hear these days is horror stories about bad fitting and badly manufactured products which unfortunately so many have to offer!!!

Seen this company www.speedculture.co.uk advertise monthly in both japanese performance and banzai magazine and like most companies they say they offer an extensive range of high-quality product with........ guaranteed fitment :-k

Just wondered if anyones had any experience with them and if anyone could give me any helpful advise?

Kind regards els :thumleft:
blue2

Re: Speed Culture............. Any Good???

Post by blue2 »

I bought my kit second hand, well basically new and unpainted and in great condition, got mine for around £350, new it was alot more and had been imported from Japan.

It is expensive to have fitted and painted, your probably looking at around £1200 to have it fitted and sprayed to a professional level at a good bodyshop so your price of 2k isnt far off the mark, yep expensive!

You could try fitting it yourself, you would save a fortune. The most difficult aspect is matching the paint. I had a few issues with this and needed to have the bottom of my doors and rear bumper resprayed as my car is quite old and had lots of different shades of zircon blue, basically every panel was a slightly different colour #-o Up to now Ive had the bonnet, boot and doors resprayed, I was told by the bodyshop its got 7 layers of paint on now!

I cant really help you on where to look but I would always try and buy an original kit as it will fit perfectly and this will save you extra costs on the fitting. Go for second hand if you can, take a look in the for sale section on here as they do show up from time to time, its much cheaper to have it stripped and resprayed than buying brand new.

Well worth it though as your car will look much better.

:D
ELS

Post by ELS »

Thanx for your views, like you say going down the second hand route would seem to make the most sense.

This might shock you but when i said £2000 that was just for the kit imported and delivered to your door.... no painting, nothing! :pale: All they had to blame was the expensive shipping costs and poor exchange rate, gutting hey!

Keep your views and advise comin in peeps! :thumleft:
blue2

Post by blue2 »

£2000 for the kit is too expensive, you can get genuine branded kits for £1000 £1200 imported. Mine is a Bomex and Im pretty sure it was around £1000 imported, then again that was for the front lip, 2 side skirts and 3 rear parts for the rear bumper so adding on front and rear bumpers would cost a bit more.
Its the fitting that adds the most cost, ive heard stories of £1500 and above. I was lucky as a freind of mine owns a body shop so he did mine inbetween jobs for a lot less.
You can get a few genuine kits from UK sites as well, I dont know the websites but Im sure there are a few affiliates on here who can help/supply them. :D
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”