mx5 mk2 or mr2 mk1

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

WeirdNeville

Re: mx5 mk2 or mr2 mk1

Post by WeirdNeville »

I'd like an MX-5 at some point. I think it's a matter of preference in looks between the MK1 MR2 and the MX-5. Personally I prefer my wedge of cheese, and for £1,500 I think you can get a better MR2 than MX-5 (IMO!).

However, I've driven a MK2 MX-5 with a MP54 Supercharger on a few occasions and I have to say they're an absolute hoot! 200bhp and 200 lb/ft in something that nimble is really great fun and can surprise cars from a couple of classes up. It's a £3k conversion though and you'd need a good solid 1.8 as a starting point.

Put it this way, If I had £1000 for a sunday/track car I'd be looking at MR2's. If I had £3k for a 2 seater, it's be MX-5's.
MR2sRuleTheRoad

Post by MR2sRuleTheRoad »

=; Im having none of it, AW11 all the way for me! Its just such a well thought out little car and I think a nicely presented mk1 MR2 would gain more attention driving by than any MX-5. I must admit ive not driven one but no matter how good they are I don't think it would prise me away from my 2. I can see the appeal but I spose im a retro rides kinda guy! :thumleft:
madman2

mx5

Post by madman2 »

mk1 mx5 is retro looking, yes mr2 mk1 is better looking standard but you cant beat look on mx5 once they are lowered and have set of deep dish wheels. mx5 with lsd is happy drifiting sideways, mr2 mk1 has no lsd.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Mx5 is a nice car but I just don't fit comfortably in the cabin and dislike the offset pedals.
The TVIS Kid

Post by The TVIS Kid »

I've always toyed with the idea of an mx-5 as they true open top cars (as opposed to the t-bars) and are great in the summer. The problem is they have even less power than the mk1. I sometimes feel that my mk1 could do with a few extra ponies so i think i would be annoyed after a while at the power (or lack of it)

My other thought was a crx del sol. The trans top roofs are pretty cool and if you get the Vti or sri jap import they have 160BHP. They would definatly have the legs on a either a mr2 or mx5 but are probably not as fun in the twistys. I reckon i'll end up buying one and then selling it on shortly afterwards and getting back to an mr2.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Limeymk1 wrote:Mx5 is a nice car but I just don't fit comfortably in the cabin and dislike the offset pedals.

Thats just because your over 6ft tall and have big feet i cant drive them full stop not enough room in the pedal box for my feet to do things safely :cry:
Kieran Williams

Post by Kieran Williams »

i had to drive mine with my shoes of, i'm a size 17 shoe, i also had to put the elise seats in it as i couldn't fit otherwise. Sold it after 3 months of lying to myself that it was comfortable! :lol:
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

Kieran Williams wrote: i'm a size 17 shoe

Bloody Hell! I bet you're popular with the ladies!
Kieran Williams

Post by Kieran Williams »

it helps :lol: just dont tell my wife [-X :pray:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”