Anyone Else Get Pulled Over Today?

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Greddy-Matt

Anyone Else Get Pulled Over Today?

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Was nipping home at lunch time and came across a camera van parked up just before a long fast bend, I wasn't speeding so wasn't worried. I got round the bend and found a police checkpoint. Sure enough as soon as the police pinged me they were waving me over. I was a bit worried as I knew for a fact I wasn't speeding + I could almost see them rubbing their hands in expectant glee lol...

Turned out to be a VOSA checkpoint, at which point my heart sank as I've heard some horror stories about these guys and modified cars. But it wasn't the nightmare I was expecting. They gave the car a proper going over, brake pads/tyres/suspension/fluids even checking the engine bay over (not sure what they were looking for in there??)

Couldn't help but smile as one of the VOSA guys took the pi$$ out of the other when he asked me to pop the bonnet open to check the engine over. "How many MR2's have you seen with an engine in the front Dave??" :lol:

Only things they could give me "advice" on was the exhaust volume (Ok fair enough it's aftermarket and hence a little loud) and the gauges on the dash are 15mm higher than they would like :roll: but hey they were polite and it didn't take an age to inspect it so can't grumble!

Not come across this down here before so just wondered if this a national thing or a local one?
stiggy

Re: Anyone Else Get Pulled Over Today?

Post by stiggy »

In Bristol they pull over moped riders, make then ride to the station and then do a full test on them, even putting them on a mini-dyno to ensure they're still restricted!

They don't tend to bother with cars though, presumably the hit rate is a bit too low for it to be worthwhile.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

At the moment it can only be a good thing.

Number of people I can image that don't have the enough antifreeze in their pipes or bald tyres etc especially with the weather getting colder and wetter.

:thumleft: from me.

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
Tommo-GTS

Post by Tommo-GTS »

Greddy-Matt wrote:Only things they could give me "advice" on was the exhaust volume (Ok fair enough it's aftermarket and hence a little loud)

:clap: :lol: :lol:

A little loud - LOL was he deaf? or stood 1/4 mile away or summit?
:oldtongue:

8-[
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

We use to get this alot in leicester, they've eased of now though. I use to get stopped all the time in my Nova TDi, maybe once a month, twice in one day once. They even dipped my tank once looking for red diesel. There reason for pulling me ranged from loud exhaust, loud music and Nova's get stolen alot.

Its amazing how many officers are there and theres always cars waiting to be towed away for no insurance offences etc...
sanchi

Post by sanchi »

I got stopped in kingston about 2-3 weeks back first time in 3 years of mr2 ownership.

I was pootling along at 30mph and they waved me down to stop as they were stopping random people, and said I had no tax on the car?!? :-k I said I taxed it 2 months ago... He looked at me as if i dropped out of the sky :?

He gave the car a quick check and said ok on your way mate. Was surprised I thought he was going to mention my exhaust as its a de catted buddy club spec II, but nothing! 8) Looked in my rear view mirror and there all staring at the rear of mr car scratching there heads! lol :lol: probably thinking how did we miss that?? \:D/
Regards,
Sanchi
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

sanchi wrote:Looked in my rear view mirror and there all staring at the rear of mr car scratching there heads! lol :lol: probably thinking how did we miss that?? \:D/

Yes! Exactly the same, had to pull out of the checkpoint back onto a 60 limit so had to do it sharpish was trying not to let the dump valve off lol..
TubbyTwo

Post by TubbyTwo »

this is a regular thing where i live, they target the boy racers and give them a going over.

A good thing in my opinion, gets the shitters off the road. :thumleft:
2003 Leon Cupra R, stage 2 Jabbasport remap to 280bhp

MR2 now sold :(
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

I'm all for getting untaxed / uninsured cars of the road for sure :thumleft:
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

Yep.. I got pulled over in my MR2 last year.

Had no probs.. generally the Vosa guys are like you say checking for muppets driving around on bald tyres etc.. so as long as you've looked after your car like you should, you should have no probs.

But... as far as exhaust noise goes they can get f***ed!! A quiet car to me is dull as anything, can't drive without *alot* of noise.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

They have had the vosa and ANPR vans out alot recently in guildford ad basingstoke. its good less chavs on the road and less likely to be hit by uninsured drivers :thumleft:
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Definately!!! Recon they pulled me in because my car is a little "boy racer" looking. I think they were a little supprised when I got out dressed in shirt tie and suit. :lol:
PeterRST

Post by PeterRST »

You guys are all sooo lucky...

I need TÜV approval for all aftermarket parts on my car over here in Germany. Some have to be actually looked at by a TÜV/MOT person. So I need to take my car with the mods fitted to a MOT/TÜV station, pay 50 odd quid and have a line added to my car papers...

Not having the right documents for my steering wheel with me when I get checked over by police could earn me 3 points (they take your license at 17) and a fine for instance.
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

PeterRST wrote:You guys are all sooo lucky...

I need TÜV approval for all aftermarket parts on my car over here in Germany. Some have to be actually looked at by a TÜV/MOT person. So I need to take my car with the mods fitted to a MOT/TÜV station, pay 50 odd quid and have a line added to my car papers...

Not having the right documents for my steering wheel with me when I get checked over by police could earn me 3 points (they take your license at 17) and a fine for instance.

That really sucks.. we were told when we went to Germany they might check out our cars to go round the ring, but tbh, no one even looked :D
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

We always have trouble driving through switzerland. Got held at borders each time. They time that annoyed us the most was when we were taking the main road out of Geneva which drops into Italy for a few miles, then back into Switzerland, and it was coming back in that they had the biggest problem :lol:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

If they want, I believe VOSA can throw the book at you for having a non-standard exhaust. Rarely enforced, though, unless the exhaust is extremely loud.

This happened to a guy I know who was pulled recently in his Nur-specced tubby. He was made to go to an MOT station for them to approve of the noise levels. He had to get a bung made.

VOSA roadside checks are a geat idea, though.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

VOSA roadside checks have been around for ages. VOSA legal bumph states. VOSA rules state something along the lines of

"It is an offence under C&U (I think it is) to modify the exhaust so that it is noisier than "standard". It is not an offence for the exhaust to be noisy if that is how the car was made."

I take two points from this
1.An exhaust may not be modified to make it noisier than standard.
2.Cars may not have an exhaust thats noisier than standard.

Point 1 being you cant cut off your back box pipe to make the car louder.
point 2 being you cant have a louder than the stock exhaust. not a problem on a TVR or a Prodrive Scooby but should mean Ned the CHAV cant have a 4inch backbox and p1$$ everyone off at 3am.

MOT testers book says
Exhaust system - complete, secure, without serious leaks and silences effectively.

I think a Nur with a De-Cat falls into the category of not silencing effectively unfortunately. :(
xanthus400

Post by xanthus400 »

:-k just put a modified exhaust on mine its not too loud maybe a little louder than the stock one more like a grumble hope it gets through its mot in jan
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

xanthus400 wrote::-k just put a modified exhaust on mine its not too loud maybe a little louder than the stock one more like a grumble hope it gets through its mot in jan

Don't listen to the scare mongering :lol: It would have to be a complete kill-joy, prat of a tester to fail you. You could always take the car there before-hand and ask them if they would "pass" your car's exhaust on an MOT.
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

Well my cars louder than a TVR, easily..

I don't have *any* silencers.

Return to “Driving Experiences”