[Mk2] [NA] i think my car is haunted

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

trdblue

[Mk2] [NA] i think my car is haunted

Post by trdblue »

HELP , i keep breaking down for what seams like no reason the car slightly stutters then dies when i slow down sometimes she miss or backfires, then she wont start but tries her best then she almost starts on and off and then suddenly after about 10 mins she starts as though nothing ever happened ??? ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) then she drives perfectly normal ?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [NA] i think my car is haunted

Post by Ryan S »

trdblue wrote:HELP , i keep breaking down for what seams like no reason the car slightly stutters then dies when i slow down sometimes she miss or backfires, then she wont start but tries her best then she almost starts on and off and then suddenly after about 10 mins she starts as though nothing ever happened ??? ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) then she drives perfectly normal ?

petrol??

could be the fuel pump. sounds odd.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

any error codes?
trdblue

Post by trdblue »

havnt had the time to put it on the diagnostics yet :oops:
boosch

Post by boosch »

I had a golf mk2 GTi that did this, totally random buckaroo antics then it wouldnt start, and all of sudden off we go again. Turned out to be the fuel distribution unit...I stupidly ran it dry once, and all the crap from the bottom of the tank clogged the unit.

when was the fuel filter changed last?

and ofcourse ignition bits?
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Check all your HT leads including the King lead that goes from the distrubutor cap to the coil. If these have moisture in them this could very well be the problem. I replaced mine after similar issues and its been fine since (touch head)
trdblue

Post by trdblue »

boosch wrote:I had a golf mk2 GTi that did this, totally random buckaroo antics then it wouldnt start, and all of sudden off we go again. Turned out to be the fuel distribution unit...I stupidly ran it dry once, and all the crap from the bottom of the tank clogged the unit.

when was the fuel filter changed last?

and ofcourse ignition bits?

only had it bout 6 mths but was supposed to have had a full service etc etc
trdblue

Post by trdblue »

blue2 wrote:Check all your HT leads including the King lead that goes from the distrubutor cap to the coil. If these have moisture in them this could very well be the problem. I replaced mine after similar issues and its been fine since (touch head)

cheers will check it all in daylight tomorrow
alfy_gacitua

Same thing!!!

Post by alfy_gacitua »

hey there. seems we have something in common. my mk2 does the EXACT same thing!! havent taken it to a shop yet but just wondering if you fixed the problem yet????
trdblue

Post by trdblue »

i have replaced the fuel filter and the distributor cap and rotor arm have also given her a full service but the problem is stil there,so im waiting for silicone to arrive
trdblue

Post by trdblue »

silicone leads that is

Return to “Mechanical”