Adjusting k-sport coilovers?? HELP PLEASE

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2barGee

Adjusting k-sport coilovers?? HELP PLEASE

Post by 2barGee »

My front bumper is cracked in about 4 places due to my car been so low at the front!!! SO low i cannot get over many/any speed bumps and have to plan out my route before i leave the house :lol:

The back end is ok it does not catch anywhere so i just want to raise the front get a couple of mm :thumleft:

How the hell do i go about adjusting the ride height???

Cheers dan
Taylor

Re: Adjusting k-sport coilovers?? HELP PLEASE

Post by Taylor »

jack the car up, get some c spanners on the adjusters and wind them UP towards the top of the shock :)

C Spanners in action :thumleft:

hope that helps.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Taylor wrote:jack the car up, get some c spanners on the adjusters and wind them UP towards the top of the shock :)

C Spanners in action :thumleft:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.grimmspeed.com/project_l/bc_ ... _locks.jpg

hope that helps.

Ah sweet mate, where can I get some c spanners from??

I would unwind them would't I if i wanted the ride height higher??
fearless

Post by fearless »

i think rogue sell c spanners or demon tweeks :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Michel

Post by Michel »

You don't adjust car height by adjusting the spring perch.. adjusting the spring perch infects the spring preload. You'll have to take of the front wheels and undo the 2 big bolts at the bottom of the shock (lower mounting bracket) where they're attached to the car (my technical english sucks, sorry). Then when you've detached the shock, you can turn the lower part of the shock, making it longer/shorter. That way you can make the car sit lower/higher. I hope it makes sense..

^^ Tein but same principle.

Just below "A" there's a single perch... turn it anti clock wise so it goes up..then you can turn the lower shock part ("D") clockwise, down. That will make the shock longer, thus your car will sit higher.

Don't adjust the spring preload on the Ksports. Just a tiny bit is OK, but you'll kill the dampers when you set them too stiff.
scotiamr2t

Post by scotiamr2t »

Michael it depends what type of K-soprts he has as they have 2 types for the mr2. Only the GT pro or track coilovers adjust the height as you suggest as they are an inverted design

The standard K-sports adjust the height as described previously by adjusting the spring perch
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

a useful link i found when trying to find out how to adjust coilovers.
It's mainly an advert for their coilovers, but it tells you how to change ride height etc.

http://www.jdm-option.com/eng/pr_CUSCO/suspension.html
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

scotiamr2t wrote:
The standard K-sports adjust the height as described previously by adjusting the spring perch

No not true, even on the "regular" K-sport coilovers the lower stantion or foot can be adjusted in height as well as the spring seats :thumleft:

Although I found that adjusting one usually meant a little bit of fiddling with the other, i.e. lowering the car by winding the foot up meant the sping preload stayed the same and the wheels can rub, so usually you need to wind up the spring seat a fraction to give you a little more preload.

If you aren't adjusting it by a huge marin, then its prob a lot less complicated to simply adjust with the spring seats :thumleft:

Regards

Matt
steve b

Post by steve b »

How are you guys getting on with the K Sports? Which versions do you have?

Cheers

(Trying to decided if the extra price of Teins is worth paying)
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

I've used both Steve, depends what you want from them. The Tein Superstreets, in my opinion are far superior for regular road driving, but aren't as adjustable / tinkerable as the K-Sports so if its pure track work you want or if you like being able to make endless small adjustments I'd go K-Sports, if its a mix of road and race then Superstreets. :thumleft:
steve b

Post by steve b »

Daily driver, road use. Odd trackday when its raining and I don't want to take my Mazda... so super streets look the better option then.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Personally, yes, but only because they are slightly more forgiving day to day :thumleft:
Michel

Post by Michel »

I've had ksports too, the kontrol pro version. I wouldn't recommend them for daily driving. Far too harsh.. way too stiff. Nice on a nicely, flat track.. scary on bumpy roads. I blew the first damper after just 2 trackdays and about 20 laps Nordschleife. I don't cruise around though.

If you want a nice decent setup for street / spirited driving.. I'd go with either Tein SS or Koni yellow with not-too-stiff springs.

More info regarding Ksports and Koni : http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=318517
More info regarding spring rates etc. : http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=14670
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

No idea what k-sports I have on mine but the ride is sweet as not to hard on the raod and very nice on the track....just a bit to low at the front.

When I find out the model i will let you know :thumleft:
tomwoodis

adjusting your coilovers

Post by tomwoodis »

Hi mate,

Just thought i'd check up on how you were doing with the car and noticed this post about the coilovers.

For the record, the ones you have on your car are exactly as those presented within the picture that Greedy Matt has posted up for you. It was his car that i tried them out on before buying them for myself.

Given that this is the case, you should follow the instructions that have been provided in terms of taking the wheels off, removing the two bolts which attach the fork to the wheel hub and then through the use of a c spanner, physically wind the bottom of the fork downwards (thats the amber looking bit with the 2 holes in it on Matt's photo) so that the overall length of the whole thing becomes longer.

DONT go adjusting the spring seats as described, this will totally change the pre-load placed on the shock absorber and will completely screw up the way the car feels on the road. I spent quite a lot of time adjusting this when i put them on the car in the first place in a bid to get the car to behave correctly, you could waste an awful lot of time finding that out for yourself if you end up playing with them.

If as your happy with how it rides but just want to raise it a bit then this is defo the way to go.

Hope this helps :)
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Hi mate cheers for the advice. the car is still going sweet as!!! I will play with the suspension when the weather picks up. Its ok with the advans on but when i put the 15s track wheels on I cannot get anywhere!!! :shock:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”