HELP! My engine is a gonna..!! :(

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

darkz

HELP! My engine is a gonna..!! :(

Post by darkz »

Hi huys looking for some sagely advice!!
I was driving along at a :cough: reasonable speed the other weeka nd my engine started making a thumping/clonking noise, whihc got progressavily worse as i nursed it home 2 miles. Sounds like the big end bearing has decided to give up.. The car starts but will barely idle and wont move. I'm thinkin it'll be easier to get a another engine rather than messa round with old on.. So the question is:- How much of a Pain is dropping the engine.. i guess itll have to come out of the bottom having read a few other posts on the subject. Is their any specific or known probs i need to know before hand (im guessing the sub frame will have to be removed etc) My car is a 1990 N/A G-limited import. it has a 3s-ge engine so i guess is rev1. I'm thinkin of getting a replacement engine from a breaker ( tried 24/7 spares and got quotes from 300 up to 450) . I'm guessing the engine is standard in both europe and japan? Also what would happen if i can only get, say a rev 2 engine? I intend to drop the engine this weekend and hopefully order another engine in a few days, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also if u know of anywhere i can get a readnoably priced but in good nick engine that would be fantastic too.
cheers
deano
Phil Dawson

Re: HELP! My engine is a gonna..!! :(

Post by Phil Dawson »

Same thign just happened with mine.

2 day job to change the engine however i dare say it could be done in 1 day. Most of the time was spent nursing out rusted in bolts.

Drop the sub-frame, and connected suspenion parts, and the three remaining engine mounts...., disconnect the wiringloom from the ECU (not the engine sensors) and drop away....

You can pick up 3SGE engine quiet cheap, try Rogue Systems as they often have them from turbo conversions. Or look on places like Ebay. I paid £150 for mine, which was a bargin from an IMOC member.
darkz

Post by darkz »

so will i have to use a rev 1 engine or could it be a rev 2? i know there was quite a fundamental difference with the rev 3 and upwards engines but not sure about rev 2..
Pants2

Post by Pants2 »

Hi,

I have a completely refurbished Rev 1 3SGE engine from my 91 import. It had covered 100,000km when i decided to refurbish it, took me about 4 months. It has been running fine for about 3 months, but I decided to go down the Turbo route and bought a rev 1 transplant bundle from Rogue Systems.

I have changed the following;

Crank was re-ground, all 9 journals
New big-end and main bearings + thrust washers
Bores honed
Piston rings
Water pump
head gasket/ bolts
Valve stem seals, all the valves ground in
Tappets all adjusted with shims
Cam cover is powder coated Red
Clutch
Oil pressure switch
Crankshaft front and rear oil seals
Timing belt
Timing belt tensioner pulley
All new bottom and top end gaskets

It's all quite nice a clean too.

Let me know if you would be interested I could send some photo's if you want. I do have the gearbox, but third gear grinds a bit \:D/ . I have the synchro ring but cant be a*sed to muck about with it.

Cheers,
Anthony
darkz

Post by darkz »

great, i was looking ata rev 1 tubby conversion but im kinda in need of a car fast so just gonna get the car up and running first. how much u looking at for the engine..
Pants2

Post by Pants2 »

I was looking around £400 for it, as it has had a lot of new parts and work. If you give me your email address I will send some photo's?
Jon S

Post by Jon S »

Sounds interesting. Where are you Pants2?
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

How many miles has the engine done?

I suppose that's the best thing about N/A's, they are very cheap to replace compared to turbo's.
Pants2

Post by Pants2 »

Corsham, Wiltshire. Just down the M4 a few junctions from you Jon. I originally had the engine on Ebay, some guy won it and never paid for it [-X what a b*stard is what i say.

The engine had covered about 100,000km before I refurbished it. I had it running in my car for about 3 months then decided to get the Turbo conversion.
hogfisch

Post by hogfisch »

Hi Pants2,

Not wanting to jump a queue but is the engine still for sale? I may be after a new one after mine has developed a nasty leak. I notice you live in Corsham. I work on Hartham Park so am very close!

Cheers

Hogfisch

Return to “Mechanical”