[Mk2] [Turbo] Mk2 Roll Cage - with working T-Bar

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

christiantimms

[Mk2] [Turbo] Mk2 Roll Cage - with working T-Bar

Post by christiantimms »

Hi all - I'm currently doing some research to see if it is possible to get a safe roll cage fitted to my MR2 without actually losing the benefits of the t-bar.

I've read the other threads and see that Rogue's doesn't fit and some other ones that provide the rear "loop", but then I wonder about the windscreen.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

...and before you say it, I know, I know - if you want to build a track day car, start with a tin top! But where's the fun in that - surely there's a way around this "problem" so that I can still enjoy some great British summer open top motoring!
revturbo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Mk2 Roll Cage - with working T-Bar

Post by revturbo »

have you got an insurance quote with one fitted?

And imagine having an accident without a helmet on.

I'm assuming that your british summer time driving will be on the road?
christiantimms

Post by christiantimms »

Ooooo - good point about the accident with no helmet!

Yeah... the british summer time driving would be on the road.
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

no problems with t top on mine :thumleft:
christiantimms

Post by christiantimms »

This is the picture I've been looking for.

Do you find problems with the head room - what if you have a helmet on?
Caribbean_Blue

Post by Caribbean_Blue »

Why do you need one??

Don't get me wrong if you do major driving track stuff for instance fair enough, just don't understand why you want to add loads more weight to the car for mainly road use?
Running: 313.8BHP @ fly and 285lb torque on 1.15bar.
MY MR2 FOR SALE: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=109986
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

robbrookes5 wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f300/ ... 008077.jpg
no problems with t top on mine :thumleft:

Care to fill us in on where this came from??

I've also looked into it (long time ago) And I was going to go down the same route as the Lotus Elite guys, which is more of a half cage.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
oBladeo

Post by oBladeo »

CUSCO ROLL CAGE 4PT FROM £271 TOYOTA MR2 AW11 SW20 MRS

You must specify if you are using this cage in conjunction with your soft top or T bar as there are specific versions!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CUSCO-ROLL-CAGE-4 ... 286.c0.m14

Don't know if the info is much use but thought i would let you know as i spotted this, this morning as i'm thinking of carbon doors and would need something for protection
Henry Ford "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black"

Modifying a 1 liter is like giving my granny a E. It’s just wrong!!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

oBladeo wrote:Don't know if the info is much use but thought i would let you know as i spotted this, this morning as i'm thinking of carbon doors and would need something for protection

Cusco roll cages don't include side bars, so they wouldn't offer you any kind of side protection.

I use a Cusco / Safety21 cage in the MR2 Challenge for a couple of years, and I wouldn't want to bet my life on it. Sure, it'll probably offer you more protection than not having a cage, but when we commisioned Protection & Performance to produce a roll cage for racing we took it along as an example of want we didn't want in a cage.

Headroom is limited, especially with a helmet to allow for the trim and t-bar mechanism etc. I spent my first two seasons with my head at an angle just to drive the car! The legs pick up on the thin sheet metal floor rather than the strong box-section chassis rail. The tube diameter also appears to be below the MSA requirement, although this may be compensated for in material thickness. No data was available on this, although there was what appeared to be an inspection hole in one of the cages I owned.

Patrick
lockys96

Post by lockys96 »

if i can say this here?

i have my rogue 6-point cage for sale, never fitted with all nuts/bolts/fittings including powder coated white £500.

:mrgreen:
christiantimms

Post by christiantimms »

Caribbean_Blue wrote:Why do you need one?? ... why you want to add loads more weight to the car for mainly road use?

The reasons are twofold:

1. To add some protection for when I go sprinting and track daying
2. To stiffen the car a little

...however, I've been speaking to a roll cage manufacturer, in Canada of all places, who have advised me the same as Richard:

Richard Powell wrote:And imagine having an accident without a helmet on.

...in that if you have an accident on the road, you can do yourself some serious injury on the bars over the top of the window.

SO... now, if I do anything at all, it would only be a rear loop I reckon, with the lower side protection too. However, that might just screw up the insurance enough to make the whole exercise not worth while.

Return to “Modifications”