Original wheels fitment HELP (spare and alloys)

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BIGBOBO

Original wheels fitment HELP (spare and alloys)

Post by BIGBOBO »

Recently I've been busy refurbishing the original "triangle" wheels. They are nearly finished and I decided to fit one.

After hunting down the right wheelnuts (5 shops) another problem popped up. I cant get the wheel nuts on the studs far enough. There's about 3mm or something left. As a result the wheel isn't tightened at all :? . Could it be that the studs are to long? Is it normal to change these when fitting aftermarket alloys?

Then, the original spacesaver spare wheel. What type of wheelnuts do I use for this? Neither the flat-seat or tapered nut seem to fit. #-o

Unfortunately I can't post pictures since a family member ran off with the camera on a city trip.

Could someone please help me, I'm getting really fed up with it. I have to pass the yearly MOT-equivalent and I'm afraid my current tires aren't legal anymore.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Original wheels fitment HELP (spare and alloys)

Post by LimeyMk1 »

It's not unusual for longer studs to be fitted with aftermarket wheels if the offset is significantly different. I have them on my Mk1 and I'm not sure if the stock nuts would fit either.

A quick fix would be to knock the ends off the wheel nuts so the studs go through but I doubt you'll want to do that having just bought them.

Either that or a 5mm wheel spacer or a fat washer on the nuts. :-k
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

It does sound like there the wrong wheel nuts. I believe mk1a nuts should look like this...

the mk1b ones being twice as long. like the one on the right...

BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

No the wheel nuts are right, they look exactly like the ones you posted.

It's probably the studs, with the aftermarket alloys fitted and tightened there's about 3mm "left" on the stud. I guess using the original studs was just a bit to short.

I'll see if I can find some wheel spacers. (oh god, never thought I'd buy such a barry item)
coverco

Post by coverco »

You could always get some original studs or cut down the ones you have :-k
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

Just to make sure, a wheel spacer is something like this right? (Ofcourse I'll buy a thinner one that isn't purple!)

Just take off the wheel, slide the wheel spacer, mount the new wheel and that's it?

I rather would get new studs but at 4 or 5€ each at mr T, buying 16 is quite expensive.
NDR008

Post by NDR008 »

You didn't find open-ended nuts or longer nuts?
Similar to these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TITEK-RA ... 0193232553

or these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Open-Ended-Wheel- ... 286.c0.m14
coverco

Post by coverco »

Remember if you get spacers then you will possibly need spigot rings to locate the wheels, it may be cheaper to just buy the studs.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

you should be able to get the studs else where. or as has been said cut them down a bit. remember to take enough off to get them tight on the wheel, not on the nut.
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

Could someone provide me with the correct length of the standard studs? Maybe I can find some generic ones.
eRATic

Post by eRATic »

can you not get some hubs rom another mk1a. there are plenty sat on peoples drives as spares cars
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

eRATic wrote:can you not get some hubs rom another mk1a. there are plenty sat on peoples drives as spares cars

I would but the mk1 mr2 is quite an uncommon car in Belgium. (All sporty cars are actually, I blame cheap diesel)

And they are probably to heavy to ship over.
NDR008

Post by NDR008 »

BIGBOBO wrote:
eRATic wrote:can you not get some hubs rom another mk1a. there are plenty sat on peoples drives as spares cars

I would but the mk1 mr2 is quite an uncommon car in Belgium. (All sporty cars are actually, I blame cheap diesel)

And they are probably to heavy to ship over.

I know the feeling... my car in Malta was uber rare, and here they are (or at least used to be) all over the place.

I suggest ordering off ebay some longer nunts or open ended nuts... obviously though you are probably in a rush it doesn't seem like you are going to get any as soon as you were hoping for anyway.
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

coverco wrote:Remember if you get spacers then you will possibly need spigot rings to locate the wheels, it may be cheaper to just buy the studs.

that's only possible if the wheel centres are bored out.

I agree, best way to solve IMO is obtain OEM studs from a broken mk1.

1987 Mk1.5, CT20b, LSD, Chargecooled, 260...290bhp (est)
2003 330ci M-sport
1995 Polo 1.3CL
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

Went to mr T. 5.xx euro + VAT each.

This is turning into an expensive joke.

"Oh, 185/65/14 tyres are 40€ cheaper than 195/50/15! I'll just refurbish the alloys on the cheap and bolt them on"

16 wheel nuts: 60€
16 wheel studs: 100€

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
coverco

Post by coverco »

Tom G wrote:
coverco wrote:Remember if you get spacers then you will possibly need spigot rings to locate the wheels, it may be cheaper to just buy the studs.

that's only possible if the wheel centres are bored out.

I agree, best way to solve IMO is obtain OEM studs from a broken mk1.

Mk1 hubs have a raised spigot that centres the wheel, if you fit spacers they will not have the raised spigot. He is fitting standard MK1 wheels why would you bore the wheel centres? I am a bit confused :-k

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”