Turbo,,, reliable? If you've had an engine failure post here.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

steve b

Turbo,,, reliable? If you've had an engine failure post here.

Post by steve b »

I'll start :-

1992 REV 2 Turbo 60,000miles, 1 Bar boost - Problem Ringland on Number 3, failed on a trackday.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
antnkel

Re: Turbo,,, reliable? If you've had an engine failure post here.

Post by antnkel »

Rev3 80,000 miles
No 3 cylinder 8 bar after about 6 weeks of ownership- could of been my fault though as I didn't get the boost sorted out quick enough! :?
Last edited by antnkel on Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Rev 2, 84K, ringland and piston melted on No.3 cylinder.

Standard boost although I think it was down to a loose injector connector causing cylinder to run lean.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

3 out a 3 people so far and all Cylinder 3 :shock: Is Cylinder 3 a weak one some how??? :?
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

Faultless for 6yrs !! tuned from standard to 305 rwhp on stock sized turbo @ 1.4 bar for 2yrs then .... got power hungry strapped a fookin great BIG turbo on a stock engine and ended up with broken ringland number 3 AND a cracked block between 1&2 Nice !!! :twisted: :mrgreen:
steve b

Post by steve b »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:3 out a 3 people so far and all Cylinder 3 :shock: Is Cylinder 3 a weak one some how??? :?

Yes known problem the inlet manifold doesn't flow evenly and so 3 runs leaner than the others.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
MR2TURBOWILL

Post by MR2TURBOWILL »

55,000 miles Rev 1 Standard boost

Big end number 4 destroyed, Cracked crank.
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

If you ask all the forum members if they've had any engine problems then obviously there will be a certain number who have, that includes N/A owners aswell. It won't really tell you how reliable a turbo is in general. I guess it may give an indication of potential weak areas such as cylinder 3 but that's all. Also remember that these cars tend to have the boost raised which will cause increased wear.
steve b

Post by steve b »

dawolf wrote:If you ask all the forum members if they've had any engine problems then obviously there will be a certain number who have, that includes N/A owners aswell.

I'm only interested in numbers of turbo engine failures, don't care if they are modded or not although its interesting to know what power level they were running. Its interesting as many people basically talk about and treat modified turbos as if they are supposed to run 280 - 300 bhp as standard.

I know n/a's break as well. I like another member on here cracked an n/a block, funnily enough our cars were both the same age, same colour, same spec etc, i.e. probably came off the line basically together.

Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

dawolf wrote:Also remember that these cars tend to have the boost raised which will cause increased wear.

And abused in Japan before comming over here :thumleft:
skipp123

Post by skipp123 »

cracked ringland cylinder 3 resulting in fully forged rebuild.

i thought the week link is the oem fuel rail as it drops pressure the further along the rail you get, :-k
GhostWKD

Post by GhostWKD »

Rev1 Tubby with few bolton mods standard boost though had a decat, Bottom end went 8-9 days into ownership
steve b

Post by steve b »

:thumleft:
Last edited by steve b on Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

roadwolf

Post by roadwolf »

skipp123 wrote:cracked ringland cylinder 3 resulting in fully forged rebuild.

i thought the week link is the oem fuel rail as it drops pressure the further along the rail you get, :-k

Then surely number 4 would suffer the worst not number 3. :? :?
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Add a rev 1 engine to that list that I have in my garage with specific no.3 wear to the inlet side of the bore.

The wear on the Rev 1 engine is exactly the same as the wear/damaged to my Rev 2 engine when it melted/damaged the piston on no.3 due to a fualty injector.

To me this backs up the conclusion that specifically no.3 runs lean as I have proof of the same damaged caused to different engines by them running lean.
Nails

Post by Nails »

This happens on a lot of engines, and its generally number 3, being a combination of inlet mani not feeding equally, lower fuel pressures, and the fact where number 3 is means it doest get as cooled as 1 & 4
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

Rev3 turbo 1994 68k miles.

Engine itself always made good power, 288bhp at 1.15bar with the usual mods (ST205 CC, decat, etc), had a link G3 put on and mapped to 1.1bar and 2 weeks later 'BANG'.
Cylinder 3 ringlands cracked clearly 2/3rd of the way around at 1.1bar - have got a piccy and will post it later.
Chris
Mr Rapey Banana WILL get you...oh yes! :)
steve b

Post by steve b »

So far then we have :-

Rev 1 = Three bottom end failures, 1 on number 3 piston, 2 unknown

Rev 2 = Two Number 3 piston failures

Rev 3 = Four Number 3 piston failures, one with a cracked block

shabz

Post by shabz »

My old car - 95 Rev3 cracked block

I know toyota make reliable cars...its just when they get abused/overboosted that causes the problems...I guess its something you have to expect with any turbo performance car
EarL

Post by EarL »

My ex rev 3 engine. Mainly because it was built originaly by a complete muppet, and then because it was maintained by a t0sser.

Chronic piston slap, leading to bore wash, compression loss, bore wear and finally, complete failure.

4 pot junked...

...V6 fitted. :thumleft:

EarL.
Sable Grey 2004 MkIII Roadster

Once an MR2 owner, ALWAYS an MR2 owner!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”