clutch time?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

clutch time?

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

hi,

my clutch biting point is about an inch from the top of the pedal...how long do you reckon it is going to last? I drive reasonably hard so maybe that wont help its life expectancy? the current clutch has done about 39k and its first 1.5k was driven by a semi-retired lady with her foot on clutch all time lol

any ideas of life left?
un1eash

Re: clutch time?

Post by un1eash »

Hard to say really, Is it slipping yet? Mine started to slip if i tried to take of in a hurry.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Not slipping no. Ive had a slipping clutch before and used it for a few months lol but when it does I would like it to get done before it gets really cold!

I am hoping to get a hold of a lightened flywheel at same time and use the ARP bolts they sell for flywheel and clutch
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

If your cars done more than 100k then your engine mounts are past their best and these make a fair difference where the clutch is concerned.

You might want to try polybushing them, it rejuvenated my clutch and made it feel like new.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

How do engine mounts make a difference? The pressure and feel of the clutch is down to the push plate/release bearing. If the bites high it means the clutch is getting thin and more travel is required to make contact with the flywheel.
IanClements

Post by IanClements »

It just does, I wish I knew how to explain it.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

mines been at the top for about 5 years , cars done 80k and no sign of slipping. quite a few cars pass under my foot and i can honestly say there is no good or bad height. it seems a bit random. just live with it till you get a problem.
classic mk1

Post by classic mk1 »

I thought the clutch pedal height was adjustable and should be adjusted after a clutch change so would be worth a check. As the clutch wears the only indication would be the level of the clutch fluid in the master cylinder dropping, unless the system has a leak. Worn perished and soft engine mounts give the feel that the clutch is on its way out.
The TVIS Kid

Post by The TVIS Kid »

The biting point on my clutch is near the top. its been like that since i've had it. i've done 14K with it like this without any issue. I was wondering if there was a way to adjust it. On my old 200sx there was a bolt behind the pedal that you could adjust.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

mine has now done 97900 miles :(

I will do it when it slips.

I am looking for another low mileage mk1 and just swap suspension and brakes over if i find one and flog mine as standard.
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

I'm totally baffled as to how perished engine mounts can affect clutch feel?

Force is exerted by the master ans slave cylinders; if either of those were loose then you'd notice, but as far as i understand, the clutch would still work as normal even if the engine was dropped!

A bit OT but its confused me :-k

1987 Mk1.5, CT20b, LSD, Chargecooled, 260...290bhp (est)
2003 330ci M-sport
1995 Polo 1.3CL
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Confused me too.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”